Australian Kit/Souvenirs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Any of these books by Ron Edwards have got to a hell of a lot more useful than a kangaroos knacker sack.

BUSHCRAFT 1

Australian Traditional Bush Crafts Now almost a standard reference book, this is known to bushies Australia-wide and is found on even the most remote station properties. Its popularity may be gauged from the fact that it has been in print for over 20 years and has gone into over a dozen editions. It gives simple instructions for all the basic bush crafts from fencing, building, leatherwork, knots, fishnets, whips and much more. 145 pages, 400 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 2 -Skills of the Australian Bushman

Following the success of the first book, people contacted the author from all over Australia to add their knowledge, resulting in a whole new book. It is full of bush gadgets and explains how to cool and preserve food, how to improvise bush lights, bush ovens, making a cord girth and many other ideas used by the pioneers to make life comfortable. It even includes instructions for a simple rowing boat. 166 pages, 300 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 3

- Making Do in the Bush This book continues the theme of improvisation, how to live comfortably by making use of low cost or even free materials that are readily available. To Australian bushies nothing was impossible, and this book is crammed with clever ideas for toys, furniture, horse gear, bush cooking and general bush craft. It also explains how to make a permanent low cost water tank, home tanning and how to map your own property. 164 pages, 400 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 4

- Using What is Available Written 20 years after the first volume, this book is packed with new material and will be welcomed by everyone who has ever dreamed of starting a new life in the bush. It explains how to save thousands of dollars using traditional pioneer methods of preparing timber. Basic techniques are shown in hundreds of clear drawings to enable you to master the skills. There are also sections on other aspects of bush crafts such as medicine, cooking, and even the various horse bits found in Australia and the best ones to use. 160 pages, 400 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 5

- Developing Your Skills This volume includes lots of leather projects, full instructions for building a mud brick home and also home building with rammed earth. The book has full instructions for 8 strand to 24 strand crocodile ridge belts. Horse gear hints (including a popular rope bridle) and blacksmithing projects. Plus drawings of bush furniture. 160 pages and 700 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 6

- Old Ideas for Use Today More on gates and fences, stabilised soil for cheap floors, making your own windows, toy making, bush tucker, unusual tools and what they are used for, more projects for the home blacksmith, decorative rope work and fancy knotting, and much more. Plus a section on crafts at Jondaryan Woolshed and the Stockman's Hall of Fame. 160 pages, 450 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 7

- Preserving Old Secrets When I began this series, I didn't realise the variety of old crafts still in practice. This book explains how to make a horse collar and a pack saddle as well as many small projects. Many people continue to send in ideas and information and these have also been included. Also features a section on the seafaring tradition. 160 pages, 500 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 8

- Bush Leatherwork Seven small leatherwork books together in the one volume. These books are Beginning Leatherwork, The Secret Plait, Leather Lacing Manual, Stockmen's Plaited Belts, Braided Belts, Plaits Round & Flat, Bushmen's Belt Pouches. All the basic information needed to begin leatherwork plus a number of projects. 160 pages, 1,100 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 9

- How to Make Whips This book is the same size and price as the rest of the series and is devoted to the making of whips. The first section gives instructions for a basic 8 strand whip, the second deals with the making of kangaroo hide whips. Other chapters explain the making of bullwhips, snake whips and whips made from pre-cut lace. Also instructions on how to plait names in whips and plaiting designs for whip handles. It contains the full contents of four smaller books, fully revised and enlarged, plus much additional material. 160 pages, 740 drawings.

BUSHCRAFT 10

- Living in the Bush (AVAILABLE SHORTLY) This is the last in the series and contains a mixed bag of information on all sorts of subjects. How to make your own stockman's coat and a fisherman's sou-wester, as well as a plaited hat for the hot weather. How to repair saddles, and how to make an attractive plaited bridle. There are even directions for making your own cow bells and Condamine bells, as well as many bush tips for doing all sorts of jobs around the place from fencing to bush furniture. And as this is the final volume there is also a full index for the whole ten books. 160 pages, 574 drawings.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
The Canuks on this side of the Atlantic are complaining that there are no more true Canadian beers. Apparently they have all been sold to either US or overseas companies. Haven't been to Canada in quite some time and can only get the export versions here so I don't really know.

P.S. I gotta +1 on your sentiments that it's best to enjoy the local beer rather than importing another.

First off sorry for the thread hijack Shortyman. Santaman-I haven't lived in Canada for 12 years but I'll bet the ones I drank haven't been bought out due to lack of interest or common sense! I drank Pilsner, Lucky Lager, Calgary, Bohemian, Extra Old Stock, Old Vienna etc. Typical prairie brews at an average of 5.2% to 5.5% that nobody else in the world would desire most likely! I have heard all the major ones have sold out to other companies. Oh well, we still have hockey eh!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
First off sorry for the thread hijack Shortyman. Santaman-I haven't lived in Canada for 12 years but I'll bet the ones I drank haven't been bought out due to lack of interest or common sense! I drank Pilsner, Lucky Lager, Calgary, Bohemian, Extra Old Stock, Old Vienna etc. Typical prairie brews at an average of 5.2% to 5.5% that nobody else in the world would desire most likely! I have heard all the major ones have sold out to other companies. Oh well, we still have hockey eh!

Hey. What more do we need?

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
away all of the above dont know much about aus XD

the best surplus store are Aussie dispoal and the only... ahev any ideas on wat you plan to find? suplurs wise? pm me if you want ^^

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
If you can find any Les Hiddens Bush Tucker Man DVDs then they'll be worth picking up (assume you have a multi-region DVD?)

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
Got to agree about the p1$$ you mention!
I admit to being a "Real Ale" fan....

I've seen Australian beer on the pumps at Waterspoons (or it Wetherstones?) before at their beer festivals. But I think it's true to say that Australia was pretty much a beer desert until recently. Coopers was about it.

I guess the climate tends to give the international "pilsener" style a leg-up, because that stands up to being served cooler than a top-fermented beer would. And if you're going to do a beer of that sort why not pasteurize, filter, and carbonate it? The customer can't taste it properly at the temperature he'll probably be drinking it at, anyway ... and it's cheaper to make, distribute, and keep. You can get a bottom-fermented lager-style beer live in bottle at Sainsbury's, viz., Duvel, but live lager on pump (Schiehallion aside) or in bottle is not something you often see.

AFAIK, there is a scattering of Australian breweries doing real live beer these days—microbreweries such as have taken off in the US I expect.

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000025.html

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm off the Sydney area to see family for the back end of May. I honestly can't see much at all that's worth buying over there and the exchange rate is v poor at the moment. Might scan the 2nd hand bookshops for gems though.

Ooo! I just thought - for those who don't have them, Bushtucker Man DVDs and books are available from the ABC shops. The man's a legend.

graybear1

Aug 29, 2010
Australia
You'll find that 'family camping' stores reign supreme over here, Ray's Outdoors, BCF... they're all national chain stores with the same products, which is ok, but seek out the smaller disposal stores and there will be excellent finds. Like WeThePeoplexfbm said, Aussie Disposals are a good shop but there are private ones in the city. Mr Mears recommends the Hutchie for a tarp, they're around $50 (32pounds)... Look out for the ex-army ALICE packs, might be a bit big to take home, or not... but it served both the US and the Aus forces for 30 years as their main pack. For some reason we also get alot of dutch surplus...??

Swags are popular, Ray uses one in "Walkabout", but they're really for use in 4x4s... they're very popular though.

Bushcraft as a term or even a interest, at least in my experience, is a fairly unknown over here... camping is popular but mainly as a family getaway thing with ALOT of gear packed into the Fourby...Its more like 'how can we make it seem like we're not camping' with all the tanles and sinks and stoves and lights and chairs and eskies etc... it seems like a strange irony that the country with the most wilderness per capita is the one with a very limited general understanding of the bush. Crocodile Dundee is characature and Les Hiddins is onlu known to a few, he hasnt been on TV for maybe 20years. Mention bushcraft as we know it and it mainly draws a blank stare. Bear Grylls is an expert over here. Enough said.

Anyway. Look out for 'Anaconda' stores, they're a little more adventure/snow/kayaking stuff...

I just ranted slightly.

GB

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Bushcraft as a term or even a interest, at least in my experience, is a fairly unknown over here... camping is popular but mainly as a family getaway thing with ALOT of gear packed into the Fourby...Its more like 'how can we make it seem like we're not camping' with all the tanles and sinks and stoves and lights and chairs and eskies etc... it seems like a strange irony that the country with the most wilderness per capita is the one with a very limited general understanding of the bush. Crocodile Dundee is characature and Les Hiddins is onlu known to a few, he hasnt been on TV for maybe 20years. Mention bushcraft as we know it and it mainly draws a blank stare. Bear Grylls is an expert over here. Enough said.

GB
Nicely put. Most Aussies are truly expert mall rats.

I've worked with a real 'Croc dundee' type. Rough, full of bull excrement, scarred and semi-crippled. He spent a lot of time up north on the stations as a Jackaroo and boundary rider. Taught me how to use an adze, strain wire without tools amongst other tricks. Terrific horseman.

In retrospect, I can't understand why we didn't camp with hammocks when I was a kid. Would have been perfect for the jarrah forest, much better than being on the ground with the snakes and bugs!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I am on holiday in Australia right now and have been given a whole kangaroo hide! I am rather tempted by a plaited kangaroo hide belt, anyone have any experience with these?

Last edited:

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
:D I'm moving out there this year, Brisbane bound. My wife's Aussie (she really hates real ale John... lol) and we're moving there as soon as the visa comes through. I'm looking forward to visiting a friend of hers who lives out bush - they put up a tent for the dunny and a seat over the hole for when she went there last time, was real swank, y'know?

(And I'm not even lying!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE