Australian Kit/Souvenirs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shortyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 18, 2010
Lancashire
Hi all

I'm heading to Melbourne on holiday soon and wondered if there were any australian bits and bobs (army surplus or otherwise) that would be worth looking out for as a souvenir.

(Kangaroo scrotum purse is not on the list)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What's wrong with a kangaroo scrotum purse. I'd love one of those! How about organising a group buy? I'm in!

Just don't get one of those odd bush-hats that look like folded cardboard box. You'd blend in great amongst the natives down under but will get a severe beating by the chavs if you walked down the high street with it.

resnikov

get yourself a couple of stubbie holders. keeps your beer cold and your hand warm.
An aussie Hootchie might be cheaper there.
Akubra hat is always good.

If you get chance find a Rays Outdoors whilst your there, its a massive camping and outdoor shop.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Didgerydoo
Anything in kangaroo leather (toughest leather in the world I hear!)
Swag
Akubra
Hootchie
Bondi Beach Babe :)
Do not drink the beer - it is just poluted tap water!
They call it XXXX coz trades discriptions will not let them call it beer!

resnikov

Do not drink the beer - it is just poluted tap water!
They call it XXXX coz trades discriptions will not let them call it beer!

While I agree on the XXXX, I take offence as an half Australian about the beers comment. Coppers Pale Ale is one of the best beers in the world. Boags and Casacade are 2 very fine other Australian beers, ok more like a larger but so much better then any of the p1$$ like carlsberg, stella or carling.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
While I agree on the XXXX, I take offence as an half Australian about the beers comment. Coppers Pale Ale is one of the best beers in the world. Boags and Casacade are 2 very fine other Australian beers, ok more like a larger but so much better then any of the p1$$ like carlsberg, stella or carling.

Got to agree about the p1$$ you mention!
I admit to being a "Real Ale" fan.... and some of the less well known Belgian Beers (Geuze, Kriek etc) are worthy of drinking.... I have to admit to not having tried the other Aussie beers you mention...
Perhaps the OP could bring back samples for a tasting session... :D

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

dont take exception export the good stuff rather than keeping it all for yourself - not unlike the Aussie music scene ;)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Leather bushhat. They are great for drizzly days in the UK. I got my first when I was 15 and spending the summer fencing. Lasted for 15 years, then some b'stard stole it. Near indestructible.

Kanga leather - yeah, the full skins are great. Just make sure the skin is empty before you try boarding the train.

Rossi boots. Go to a country feed merchant for these. Mine are never off my feet. Really good leather and soles last forever.

Tip: avoid the beer. It's recycled and diluted kangaroo p!sh.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton

Invalids Extra Stout is another nice one. Gotta say I loved the lager when I was there, but I don't drink it here much. Kinda like enjoying Canadian beer when home but avoiding the stuff brewed in Luton like the plaque!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Invalids Extra Stout is another nice one. Gotta say I loved the lager when I was there, but I don't drink it here much. Kinda like enjoying Canadian beer when home but avoiding the stuff brewed in Luton like the plaque!

The Canuks on this side of the Atlantic are complaining that there are no more true Canadian beers. Apparently they have all been sold to either US or overseas companies. Haven't been to Canada in quite some time and can only get the export versions here so I don't really know.

P.S. I gotta +1 on your sentiments that it's best to enjoy the local beer rather than importing another.

Last edited:

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Fosters used to be good when brewed in Aussie now its brewed in England using water from some canal up country :( yuk

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
What's wrong with a kangaroo scrotum purse. I'd love one of those! How about organising a group buy? I'm in!

Just don't get one of those odd bush-hats that look like folded cardboard box. You'd blend in great amongst the natives down under but will get a severe beating by the chavs if you walked down the high street with it.

I have one, the ladies curl-up when you tell them what it is. Some cant wait to hold it...dont know why :~

GST138

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2007
North Yorks
My folks went last year and bought me a Barmah Leather hat. Absolutely top notch, packable and waterproof I love it would definately recommend one of those.

resnikov

Lucky to get English beer in our Tescos - this is Wild West Wales pal!
And what is Booths? - I thought it was a brand of Gin......

Booths is the best supermarket chain in the world, Really only found in the North West of England. To quote them "If you appreciate beer, you’re in for a treat at Booths. We have over 200 bottled types – including 55 brewed in Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and Cumbria – and a wide range of varieties imported from all over the world. Plus you can take your pick of over 40 premium ciders." and there malt whisky is just as impressive.

http://www.booths.co.uk no connection to the store etc etc.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Booths is the best supermarket chain in the world, Really only found in the North West of England. To quote them "If you appreciate beer, you’re in for a treat at Booths. We have over 200 bottled types – including 55 brewed in Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and Cumbria – and a wide range of varieties imported from all over the world. Plus you can take your pick of over 40 premium ciders." and there malt whisky is just as impressive.

http://www.booths.co.uk no connection to the store etc etc.

+1 on Booths

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire

I had the good fortune to live in Melbourne for a year, and you are of course quite correct. The Tasmanians know a thing or two about a good brew, and Melbourne drinks most of it, so you won't go wrong with the local beer (just for God's sake avoid VB, it's evil).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE