Australian Kit/Souvenirs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I am on holiday in Australia right now and have been given a whole kangaroo hide! I am rather tempted by a plaited kangaroo hide belt, anyone have any experience with these?

Better check with customs and be sure you can bring a hide home.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
hey am also off to australia aug to sept this year already book 2 nights in hongkong 2 nights in a top hotel in sydney then two weeks in a camper van and a visit to wifes old friend in the outback

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
hey am also off to australia aug to sept this year already book 2 nights in hongkong 2 nights in a top hotel in sydney then two weeks in a camper van and a visit to wifes old friend in the outback

Reminds me of a wasted opportunity. When I was stationed at RAF Fairford (in the late 1980s) an RAF indulgence flight was only 50 quid to Australia with a 1 night lay-over in Hong Kong. Wish I had taken up that opportunity when I had the chance.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. It was the embassy shuttle flight from RAF Brize Norton on a VC-10 with a comfort pallet. It flew once a week in each direction. I give myself a swift kick every time I think about it. Probably still available for active duty. In 1994 I took an equivalent indulgence flight from Washington, D.C. to RAF Brize Norton. Also the embassy shuttle.

Last edited:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I like my Aussie hootchie and the jelly bean camo water bottle holders. I also loaded up on the "comm cord" the fine, strong nylon line for the hootchie. I have to tell you, here in the USA, the term hootchie is used often to describe a naughty woman and my girlfriend was not too pleased when I told her I got me some Aussie hootchies...a good laugh in the end.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Well, I just got back and have good news and bad news:

Good News: Got myself some good second-hand books like 'Aboriginal People and Their Plants' and "Bushfoods: Arrernte Foods From Central Australia', amongst others. Result!

Bad News: I've been going to Australia for about 15 years and never has it been such poor value for Brits! The exchange rate used to be about 3 Aus$ to 1$; however, it is now about $1.5 to the £ and the cost of living has skyrocketed. We hardly bought anything new as we can get things cheaper in the UK and just couldn't justify the expense. Good news for the Aussies though as they get a much better deal coming to the UK now!

I bought a copy of a book on Australian bushfood that I already have so I'm selling it on - it's the AB and JW Cribb 'Wild Food in Australia'. Check the 'sales' thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE