as promised potassium permanganate fire making video.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Excellent video Fishfish, enjoyed that. There are other chemicals you can use, but I'd get arrested and made to wear an orange jumpsuit for posting them. Good post. We could do a "Fun with thermite" as it's still legal to make I believe.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Great vid. If you buy powdered pottassium you dont need to crush the crystals, just pour on a bit of glycerin on the top and wait a bit. I carry potassium as it has a multitude of uses ie sterilising wounds, purification of water. Also good for foot fungus. Dont get it on your hands though, leaves brown stains wich are hard to remove. If you mix it with sugar and bash it with a rock it ignites as well.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Cool vid.

Using potassium permanagate is the first method of fire lighting I ever learned! before I even tried a firesteel.

although I used sugar and friction from dragging a butter knife over it. how-to from 'Royal Marine Commandos survival handbook'

this looks way more fun....must try.... need 24 hr chemist... :p

Regards,
Baelfore

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Great vid, have been using this method for the last few years and its great with the right fire lay.

I keep a small sealed bottle (medical pee sample bottles) in separate pockets of my pack for emergencies or if I happen to be feeling lazy! :)

I tend to get both off of evilbay quite cheaply.

Cheers, Hamster

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Aha! Proper wizardry! I knew there must be a better use for this stuff than just making my feet black.
How long does it take usually, between mixing and kablooie?

Z

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
just a tip regarding the source of your pot.perm. Some chemists/pharmacists only stock the tablet version which is about £15 a bottle. You don't need that, just the little dark crystals at about £2 a pot. A little goes a long way. Don't forget it works with neat antifreeze too, so if you have pot.perm in your FAK (for foot rot/fungal infections) and some spare coolant mix for the vehicle you can still use this technique. works fine if you put a small amount in a doubled up kitchen roll or similar. just twist it together and wait.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
One of the better vids I have seen in recent days!
As I do not tend to carry glycerine or anti-freeze with me into the woods (well - not often...) I prefer the PP and sugar method :)
PP is in a selection of my FAKs and medikits... sugar is an essential for my brews....
I used to demo the PP&G method by getting the "Fire" class's attention then putting the PP&G into a screw of newspaper then starting the talk on the basics of fire... I got it down to a fine art of timing and could call on the paper to burst into flame "on command" :)
Jump leads and a "doll" made of wirewool, paper and a covering of cotton was always good for a laugh as well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE