Forging a Farriers knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dontkillbill

Forager
Feb 24, 2013
PEI Canada
www.youtube.com
I am working on a period knife made with a farrier's rasp/file. I am not sure if I will gind it clean or go for a rougher look. Depends on the Part 2 of this video. Any one out there making knives. I like to borrow other peoples knowledge :)

Likely do a handle video and shealth video as well.

What you think?

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Only thing I would do would be leave the forge finish on the blade and just grind the bevels but I’m a big brute de forge fan. I think it would look pretty good with the rasp marks in it still.
Here’s one I left as a forged finish.
ISIMG-884463.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: gg012

Andrew C

Nov 7, 2023
USA
Since you chaps since you seem to know about making cutting tools I have a question. I recently bought a Faicoubill bill hook for hedge laying. I can get a reasonably sharp edge on this but it bounces out of the cut. In really simple terms, what sort of profile am I looking for. And does it need to be sharper than an axe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
In my opinion, yes, it needs to be as sharp as you can get it. Bill hooks are cutting slicing tools and need to have quite a narrow angle to the edge compared to an axe. IIRC the Faicoubill has a double edge - straight for doing the rough chopping, and curved for snedding etc. so you could choose different profiles depending on the job.

I'll come clean however, I only use a bill hook for snedding; I don't do hedge laying.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Since you chaps since you seem to know about making cutting tools I have a question. I recently bought a Faicoubill bill hook for hedge laying. I can get a reasonably sharp edge on this but it bounces out of the cut. In really simple terms, what sort of profile am I looking for. And does it need to be sharper than an axe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The classic saying of the old boys who used billhooks all the time was 'Keep them shoulders back', meaning the the shoulders of the bevel, not the user.

To use one properly, the greater part of the cutting side needs to be at far more acute an angle than many realise; obviously not a razor-fine cutting edge though.

I have no idea why I can't just copy and paste images here, but the 'convex' edge in the astonishingly long link below is what you are aiming for. Unless... you do what some do and have a bevel only on one side, like a side axe - but, again, keep the shoulder back.

Link to Image

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE