Artistry with wire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I've had a bit of a hobby in making jewellery from wire for a couple of years. Since fairly early on I've had a succession of copper (and one silver, along the way) bracelets. I've had a few requests from my Scouts to show them how to make thier own. I did two sessions of wirework with them and managed to get a couple of photos, in the midst of the chaos.

An own design:

Wirework1.jpg

The main project for the evening, a bracelet. I was really impressed with this piece, the girl who made it took up a lot of my time with understanding the pattern but all her own work:

Wirework2.jpg

Wirework3.jpg

Another bracelet, next to a silver one of mine that disappeared from my box over the evening. I got it back, but only after threatening violence!

Wirework4.jpg

A hair grip I made. Most of the girls in the troop have one of these now. Mug:

Wirework5.jpg

DarbyFett

Sep 30, 2008
Texas
Thats awesome. Where do you find wire of that gauge?

My mom makes amazing jewelery from hammered brass and copper. She could make good money if she branched out to the internet. But she just enjoys making it, selling a few pieces and giving the rest away to loved ones.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thats cool that lot mate, it reminds me of a lad where I served my apprenticeship he used to use mig welding wire and make fairground scenes, the big wheel, people, dodgems and everything.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Copper wire sourced from the scrap bin at work!

If you have any electric motor or transformer repairers near you, that would be a possible.

Thanks.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Thats cool that lot mate, it reminds me of a lad where I served my apprenticeship he used to use mig welding wire and make fairground scenes, the big wheel, people, dodgems and everything.

Ah the joys of Mig wire:D I used to use the stainless stuff to make handrails for my model boats years ago and still uses bits of it today to make things;)

Richard

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Oooh pretty, I love copper :)
I've made a few bits in the past with garden wire but it couldn't be worn due to risk of blackening and possible poisonous residue! I wouldn't mind doing some in copper, I'll have to go skip diving soon.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I didn't use any jigs for the stuff pictured here. Tools used are simply fingers, needle nose pliers and a marlinspike. Wire cutters and a small file for the ends and a soft face mallet and a bit of MDF to bed everything down are helpful for finishing off. I've no plans to make jigs for any of the above, but I'm designing a jig system for the Turk's Head rings I make.

Have a go! The three strand plait bracelets are a nice place to start.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE