Winterizing the home.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
If you look at the profile of a masonary drill bit versus a metal or wood drill bit, you'll see that the head shape doesn't cut material in the same way. They're more grinding they're way through - the hammer action punches it forward a bit, chipping into material then grind some more.

On soft brick, I've used just a rotary drill. On tougher stuff, you definitely need it.
Ah right, thanks.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you only have a plain drill you have to use it or not do the job. I have a number of times had to take a break to cool the bit down before completing the hole. Not great but my dril is quite old and was not a fancy one by even the standards of the day back then. A house warming present from a dad who knew I was not the DIY type so didn't see the point of getting anything good.

Mind you his drill was an old metal B&D corded one (no such thing as battery ones back then and it was orange not the usual B&D green. They were well made back then even the domestic models. It did not have hammer action but seemed to do very well in most stuff. It was older than me!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Off topic but:
I love the old B&D drills.
I still have the one that I bought when we moved into this house 47 years ago. I’ve repaired the switch, fitted new bearings and new lead several times. Chucks of various types are consumables. I’ve fitted replacement motors and motor parts in a couple of them.
I have ten (I think) now, of various wattages and vintages. They are all corded. I have just one old battery drill and it’s not B&D. Cord = grunt.
Even my lathe is a B&D attachment.

In my father’s home we had a big mirror - about four feet by four feet. It took two of us to lift it safely. That was held up by rag bolts and rested on a couple of six inch 12 screws sticking out of the wall.

@Woody girl
You probably have done this but I’d check the rings / wire mounting as well.

Reactions: Falstaff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE