Are you wearing yours yet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 2, 2007
Folks it's that time of year again :(

Will you buy a Poppy sir?

Will you wear it well?

For you will hear a band sir,

not a screaming shell.

It's good to hear you're well sir,

and feeling in the pink

Two minutes isn't long sir,

to close your eyes and think.

Will you buy a Poppy sir?

Now that it's November?

And more important,

may I ask sir, will you remember?

We see our children play and laugh,

we watch them as they grow.

We remember,

and we bless the men who made it so.

Will you pray sir, will you cry?

Yes sir, yes sir so will I.

Arthur Lane

http://www.poppy.org.uk/

So please wear it with Pride ;)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
To be perfectly honest I would rather forget than be constantly reminded of friends no longer with us, the truth of the matter is most service men and women are no more than canon fodder in any theatre of conflict

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
Not seen any for "sale" yet, but I will pick one up as soon as I do. Both my boys (a beaver and a cub) will be in the remembrance parade through our village.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
We always wait 'till the guy round the corner comes to the door to buy one. Mind you I tend to lose mine and have to buy another one.

Cannon fodder or not, the sick and injured need to be looked after, so I don't grudge the double (sometimes if I'm really clumsy, triple) contribution.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
will be as soon as i see them on sale, glad to say that the school my kids attend, will have them on sale and explain to them what they are for.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
To be perfectly honest I would rather forget than be constantly reminded of friends no longer with us, the truth of the matter is most service men and women are no more than canon fodder in any theatre of conflict

I feel very sorry for you, and hope that in time you will come to terms with what the loss of our people in conflict really means. I do not agree that our Service personnel are cannon fodder; it's a demeaning term that encourages military personnel to be thought of as other than people. They are men and women who do extraordinary jobs, and do them incredibly well in circumstances that most of us cannot imagine. I know this because I was once one of them. I have been to Bosnia, to Iraq, and next year I will be going to Afghanistan, though I am no longer in uniform. Our soldiers, sailors and airmen are sons and daughters, husbands and wives. I think this inscription from a gravestone sums it up: 'To the world you were a soldier; to me you were the world'.

If you want to direct your ire at someone, it should be the politicians who have failed our Forces so badly, and continue to do so:

New Labour: New Lies

The new lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro Novum Laborum mori.

(with apologies to Wilfred Owen)

One of Kipling's poems sums it up nicely; I'd like to see it on Bliar's headstone:

A Dead Statesman

I could not dig: I dared not rob:
Therefore I lied to please the mob.
Now all my lies are proved untrue
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me among
Mine angry and defrauded young?

from Epitaphs of The War 1914- 1918

Rudyard Kipling

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
I will be wearing one, but only from Remembrance Day to Remembrance Sunday. That's always seemed appropriate to me. I don't get this business of wearing one from the INSTANT that they come available.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Yes, I'll be wearing one.
I have never been in the Services, although family members have, and I have a lot of respect for those who have and are in the forces.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just re-read this thread. My one thought is, if not for the cannon fodder, this post would read:

Um tadellos ehrlich zu sein würde ich eher vergessen als ständig an Freunde nicht mehr mit uns erinnert wird, die Wahrheit der Angelegenheit die meisten Service-Männer ist und Frauen no more als Kanonfutter in jedem möglichem Theater des Konflikts sind

Red

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
ERM????..... Dont really know where to start on that one! I may be wrong but as i believe, alot the soldiers werent there through choice were they??

I shall definitely be wearin a poppy!

Dan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Chips, stop and think.

Remembrance Day has been given it's due place in our society for nearly a hundred years. It is a time to remember the sacrifice of those who gave their lives, their futures, when many were no older than you are now, to stop an aggresssively hostile force from our borders; to keep us free to lead lives as we choose not as decided by an enemy.

If you have nothing courteous to say about their sacrifice, their vital place in our nations history, then please do us all a huge favour and keep quiet.

This thread is not the place for a political rant against present conflicts or those who participate in them.

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE