Are you wearing yours yet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Now, volunteers/conscripts, that would be a different matter.

National Service ('peace time' conscription) formally ended in 1960. Those who, for one reason or another, defered their time were still required to serve when their reason for deferrement ended/passed - the last conscript left the forces in 1963 (others chose to stay on after they had done their 'bit').

But most of the guys conscripted are now dead, so it's just guys in it for a job and money now.

Nope, many of my very much alive fathers generation are still causing mischief and mayhem!

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Whilst I will be wearing a Poppy to remember all the dead, injured and others it would be outrageous to delete a Post simply for disagreeing. In a sense it would stand in opposition to what many fought and died for.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Not simply for disagreeing it just seemss inappropriate to play politics with this.
Regardless if you disagree with recent conflict (and I do) our forces deserve some respect - they did not elect our government.

This thread asked the question "will you wear a poppy well?" I responded and gave my reasons. I feel this is perfectly reasonable.

As a final comment, I would just say I did not mention politics.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
No, I wont be wearing one.

Why should I support someone who does a job, gets paid, and knows the risks? There are plenty of people doing dangerous jobs who don't get the same sympathy from the public.

Now, volunteers/conscripts, that would be a different matter. But most of the guys conscripted are now dead, so it's just guys in it for a job and money now.

I have more feelings for someone like the mountain rescue or the lifeboats, volunteers.

The Royal British Legion helps people of all ages and backgrounds. To be eligible for our help, you must have served in the Forces for at least 7 days, or be the dependant of someone who has served. It really is that simple.

Every serviceman who was conscripted did a job, got paid and knew the risks. They also had an option not to go into combat.

Every serviceman since conscription ended is a volunteer.

A large number of mountain rescue teams are made up of serving or ex members of the armed forces.

The RNLI have their own organization for the support of their members, but they still support the rememberance day celebration.

Andy

ps does that poem remind anyone else of the fast show.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I will be wearing one with pride.

I often don't agree with the decisions of politicians but I believe that there are brave men and women, past and present including family members, who deserve my support.

Cheers,
Steve

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
No, I wont be wearing one.

Why should I support someone who does a job, gets paid, and knows the risks? There are plenty of people doing dangerous jobs who don't get the same sympathy from the public.

Now, volunteers/conscripts, that would be a different matter. But most of the guys conscripted are now dead, so it's just guys in it for a job and money now.

I have more feelings for someone like the mountain rescue or the lifeboats, volunteers.

That is your choice and you are entitled to it. The irony is that you are entitled to many of your choices in life because of the efforts and sacrifice of those who you refuse to commemorate. That is my view.
All the best, Aaron;)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Each year I do a wall display based on Remembrance Day in my classroom. This year is slightly different in that I don't have a traditional classroom, so I have taken the poem from the first post, and superimposed it on a background. These will be printed at A3 and one placed in each of the cubicles in my area of school.

Willyoubuyapoppy-poem.jpg

I firmly believe that the youth of today need to be educated about life, and this will go a small way towards that goal.

Simon

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Of course I will be wearing my poppy with pride, I am an ex serviceman, and have friends and relatives both alive and dead who are/were servicemen and women.

No one likes war, but it is sometimes necessary.

A phrase I have heard before is -

If you can read this, thank a teacher
If you can read it in English, thank a soldier

I am in a position to say thank you to both.

Let's just remember them for who they are, Brothers, sisters, Mums and Dads, Aunts and Uncles, Cousins, friends and neighbours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNlqoaAgMpU&feature=related

Come home safe those who are still serving your country, take note that many of us here at home are thinking of what you are doing for us.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
No need for a long message

Woodstock your a prat

No need to get personal. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Don't forget that the people who died were defending the right to free speech.

That some people don't quite understand that is regretable. However they still have that right, whether or not they deserve it.;)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
While I disagree with what he says I will defend to the death his right to say it.

He is still a prat, he expressed his personal opinion and so did I

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As soon as I see them being "sold" I will be wearing one, and be glad that I have the choice - of remembering that some concidered their lives/health worth risking so that others can live in peace - or not bothering to give the respect due to someone who took risks that others (including myself) dare not.
I also give to mountain rescue, lifeboat and other deserving charities.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
My great grandad served and died during the first world war. He was in the Hampshires, a private. Him and his fellow soldiers were shipped out in 1915 to Gallipoli, on the SS.River Clyde.

They were to land at Cape Helles, part of the Dardanelles. It was a massive failure.
They were outgunned by turks with machine guns, it was slaughter. My great grandad
had severe leg wounds from that attempted landing, he lingered on and died from those same wounds in 1918. Must have been awful!!! :(

Its so important that these blokes, and the ones who came after them are never forgotten!

Andy >>>>>--------------------------------<>

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I don't think that Chips' post should be deleted, even though it's clearly posted from a position of ignorance.

Firstly, as others have said, it is an example of the freedom of speech so many served to maintain, and continue to serve.

Secondly, it should be left as a reminder to all of us that even when we disagree, we should show civility to all.

In my experience people who spout the 'they're only doing a job' thing are often embarrassed because they know they wouldn't be able to do it themselves.

Perhaps Chips is from one of very few families who were not affected by conflict. As well as all those who died, I shall be remembering my relatives who served:

Cpl, Grenadier Guards, WW1
Maj, Royal Fusiliers, WW1 (MC 1918)
2 x 2 Lt, East Yorks Rifles (KIA)
Vice-Admiral, RN, (KCMG 1916)
WO, RAF, WWII
Fg Off, RAF, Aden
FS, RAF, Malaya

Never forgetting my friends and colleagues who continue to put themselves in harm's way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE