Are you wearing yours yet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thankyou.

Having seen active service and LOST mates. I still wake up, at times crying like the proverbial baby. The only way I have made it through my life to be here and now is massive love and support from my family and close friends. Even the Army were fantastic in my return to "normality". My wife puts up with so much from me but she does so with love and complete understanding.

You must have known what the score was when you signed on the dotted line unless your a moron no point crying after the event is there ,,,,,,if you cant deal with it don't join up simple as

It's not that simple.

No one can know what actually being in action is going to be like; having mates killed in front of you and not knowing if you're next.

No one knows how they are going to react during, or after, the trauma.

No amount of training or briefings or films or exercises can let you know the reality.

If you were exposed to that sort of trauma and escaped undamaged think yourself very lucky and cut a bit of slack for the people who weren't so lucky.

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
Last week, on holls on Isle of Wight. Filled up at a petrol station, went in to pay. Young lad behind the counter, as I walked up saying which pump number he smiled and said "Would you like another Sir ? ....Poppy ?"

I looked down at mine ..... to see just a pin !!

I don't mind admitting he really brightened my day ! With his sharpness of observation and obvious awareness of Poppies, and respect, he thanked me for buying another !

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
You must have known what the score was when you signed on the dotted line unless your a moron no point crying after the event is there ,,,,,,if you cant deal with it don't join up simple as

Last week a friend of mine, who suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, took his own life. When he signed on the dotted line, he didn't know that 'the score' meant that he would die alone in a flat, unable to bear how it made him feel. He certainly wasn't a moron.

Sadly, no-one can tell how they'll react to a critical incident, so the 'just deal with it' view is one based upon ignorance. Some of us are able to seek help when we realise that we have a problem; others prefer to maintain a 'hard man' shell, refuse to acknowledge what happened and pretend they aren't affected.

Since I have PTSD, I must be a moron too. Curious; I don't feel any less intelligent than I did before the events that changed my life.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I would ask of those, who believe as Chips does, how much is a life worth and do you believe that services pay is the correct amount for that life. They earn a lot less than many people on this forum do I'll bet. So if your wife was killed tomorrow (God forbid) would you be happy if the government gave you the princely sum of oh let's say a privates weekly wage of ummmm £250, do you consider that a reasonable sum for the life of your spouse?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I watched the armistice day service this morning on BBC It moved me to tears seeing those old veteran chaps coming forward in their wheelchairs to lay their wreaths.
The last chap Henry Allingham couldn't let go of his wreath and was obviously upset and remembering his fallen comrades. It was very moving.
Armleywhite - Rise above folks like Chips and woodstock. Using bad language is not graceful. There will always be those who are ungrateful and most of all don't understand, they are ignorant and maybe we should feel pity for them. Just know that YOU appreciate our fallen soldiers past and and present.
If woodstock WAS in a 'recce troop' as he claims then he must be one of the very few people serving or have served who has no affinity with what those chaps gave and still give, and equally he has, and is entitled to his opinion, but he dosn't need to put down others. Woodstock you don't know what others have gone through, and if you really were in the Army or Marines, we may not all be 'ultra hard' men like you.

I went to the Rememberance day service in Oxford on sunday. All the dignitaries laid their wreaths, and lastly a woman and a very young toddler came forward to lay a big wreath themselves........... Just a young woman and a small boy dressed in his best clothes. You don't need to be 'Poirot' to work out what they had lost Mr woodstock and Mr chips

On this armistice day and throughout the year when it enters my head if I pass a war memorial............I (along with the vast majority of our nation) will remember them............all of them.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Woodstock you don't know what others have gone through, and if you really were in the Army or Marines, we may not all be 'ultra hard' men like you.

Lets hope not - if anyone can suffer those experiences and just shrug it off, there's clearly something wrong with them. Being "ultra hard" is nothing to be proud of.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Lets hope not - if anyone can suffer those experiences and just shrug it off, there's clearly something wrong with them. Being "ultra hard" is nothing to be proud of.

That is a very good point gregorach, it's the guys who show no obvious ill effects who often crash the hardest.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
It's worth pondering this.....

Life is 100% fatal.

It matters not if you die today or tomorrow, but you will die. Obviously you would like to postpone it as long as possible, but once you truly accept that you’re going to die, this takes a lot of quite thinking, you become aware of three facts. The first is that time is short so don’t waste it (work out the number of weeks you have till you are 80), and the second is that any life is truly precious as it can never be replaced....

The third and most difficult is that death in itself is nothing to fear. You cannot experience your own death as you are dead. Much like you didn’t experience your conception as you weren’t conceived. People should not overly mourn the death of others, as to them their own death is quite literally nothing.
It’s also worth remembering that we live in a world where people die; ever it has been thus. Death, even of a close friend/comrade is by no means unusual, and therefore even though tragic, is not in itself a reason to feel cheated or unfairly targeted. It certainly is not a good reason to end your own, one and only, precious life.
If this doesn’t make you a humanist nothing will. For those who have seen bad things, I think Keller puts it best.....

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature,
nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.
- Helen Keller

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE