Are we becoming Kit Hoarders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Naaaah
3a6ube7y.jpg

Run Silent-Run Deep now Free

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Got more than i need,but less than what i want.

Yep that sums up my position, but experience has also led me to believe [in the idiom] 'success is not measured by what you have, but by what you can do without'

Always a catch22 isnt there.

Nothings ever bl00dy simple is it? humph.. :bluThinki

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Another self confessed kit junky here I'm afraid! I would like to say its because I have several non bushy mates who I lend bits out to when I manage to convince them to come along for an over nighter to cover anything they don't have, which I do, but in reality it's because I like trying out new kit and having different options for my set up dependant on what I'm planning to do!

Now, where was that website I saw the other day with all the shiny things... ;)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Oh, my! Hoarding is such a bad word. It's a loaded word. However, I will admit to having accumulated a good bit of stuff. Most of it is a delight to have around and is forever interesting, although delightful may not convey the exact meaning. I've had and still use a couple of things I've had since I was boy scout. Other stuff I haven't had for a month yet. Some stuff become obsolescent, though never completely obsolete, merely not the first choice most of the time. Some items have become well used and show it, other items are much too good to actually use. You probably have something like that. I do have excess of some things. I have at least a half-dozen or more plastic canteens/water bottles and one reason is because a certain on-line surplus vendor likes to sell things in lots of three or more. But they're so cheap! Now, I also have a lot of boots, some of which get used a fair amount, others, rather less, but they're all usable and except perhaps for the hobnail ammo boots. I've already mentioned that I have a drawer full of knives, though I don't think I have over a dozen of all types, but only a few see the light of day regularly. In fact, my last purchase was a Mora Companion sheath knive only last week.

I long ago disposed of such firearms I owned and some of them are missed. I just don't know what I'll do when the North Koreans invade.

I'll also admit to a degree of "real" hoarding by hanging onto empty containers and the like just because they're perfect--for something--and sure enough, they ultimately get used for just the right thing.

Most of them, anyway.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
My wife hoards no kit whatsoever. So even seeing kit around makes her 'materially challenged'. (Probably not even in the dictionary!) However, I've noticed wives often get sucked into whatever their husbands are really obsessed about. (Men have obsessions it seems). So we get wives donning black leathers and clinging to the back of shiny Harleys for dear life. We get wives with fishing rod in hand - waiting for the big one. We get wives holding the flashlight while he tries to retrieve the vital engine bolt he lost.
My wife has inexorably been drawn to the realisation that some kit is necessary to enjoy the natural surroundings in comfort. And the right kit like a good machette can save you money by processing firewood.
The trick is knowing where to stop. (Failed miserably here) as my wife points out. Main problem knives, flashlights, tools for making more knives, stoves etc.
But kit can be improvised too. Made two stoves. Backpacking woodburner and alcohol stove from coke can. Also a cheap tarp. And Target bow.
I've tried to alter my mindset from 'buying' kit to 'improvising' kit. Keeps someone happy and me busy.
I feel a big failure coming on though. Primal gear 55lb take down bow. Stable, accurate - Packs down to nothing.
"But we NEED it darling!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE