Are we becoming Kit Hoarders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
My kit and some of the threads just show How much kit I/we own. Ran out of storage space. Going to follow my sisters rule of " if its not worn in a Year throw it away".

Does anyone else do this
Its amazing how much kit that can be collected and not used enough

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have far too much but then its my only hobby so I enjoy trying new stuff. What I dont like gets recycled here or on ebay and turned into cash for the next purchase.

Ive no doubt I could make a pretty stable load out for summer with some added for winter bit where is the fun in that :D

Shelters are my problem along with stoves and water bottles.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I recently gave away a lot of stuff. Came down to what i need against what i actually used. Sometimes someone else needs it more than you.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What is this word "becoming"?
I have been a kit hoarder for years and am proud of it!
What I get now I will still have when I am old and broken and no longer able to earn enough to buy the kit I yearn for to enjoy the life outdoors in comfort!
If it gets to the point that I can no longer even get into the woods I will have a good supply of what will then be "Vintage" gear to flog to young Bushcrafters at inflated prices and enjoy a luxurious lifestyle in my dotage:)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
My thoughts are the same as John Fenna's only I am ahead of him. I am now retired with a fairly low income. I am reluctant to part with lots of Kit I have gathered over the years when I was working, also things that were expensive to my at the time they were bought, are of little value second hand, and while still perfectly serviceable to me, would be of little value to young folk nowadays, as kit has moved on and become more technical, if possibly not as good sometimes. I sstill can't resist topping up on gear, much to the disgust of SWMBO, answer do not have a lot of storage space, and I already have more than my fair share of what there is. I suppose that this applies to a lot of Bush Craft households. Bits of tinder in every available corner, umpteen tents , hammocks , and tarps etc not to mention rucksacks and knives . I just feel fortunate that I have been able to afford what I have, over the years. My first wage in the early fifties was £1.00 per week
and £1.121/2p in old money in my second year, and that included working Saturday mornings as well, of course a packet
of twenty cigarettes only cost twelve and a half pence then not around £7.00. I think we are actually better off nowadays.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm in agreement with John and Stuart :D
I can guarantee that if I throw something out or pass it along to the charity shop, it's the very thing I could have been doing with not all that much later on :sigh:

atb,
M

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have way too much stuff, way too much, and feel a bit trapped by it. I probably wear 10% of my jackets, cook on 10% of my stoves and use 25% of my tents. I have grades of unused stuff, from "wear now and then" to "never wear but really like or very collectable (?)" to "never wear and never will but still can't bear to get rid of". I would really just like to hand out the unused stuff to someone I know who would really appreciate it, but most normal people look at you a bit askance of you offer them a smock or a knife or something. I am going to take the whole lot down to Oxfam one of these days - I should probably have given all the money to charity in the first place that I spent on new stuff!

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I am going to take the whole lot down to Oxfam one of these days - I should probably have given all the money to charity in the first place that I spent on new stuff!

You could always list it on here and ask people to pay the postage and make a donation to charity by way of 'payment'. On another website, I once raised £225 for BLESMA by doing that.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
What is this word "becoming"?
I have been a kit hoarder for years and am proud of it!
What I get now I will still have when I am old and broken and no longer able to earn enough to buy the kit I yearn for to enjoy the life outdoors in comfort!
If it gets to the point that I can no longer even get into the woods I will have a good supply of what will then be "Vintage" gear to flog to young Bushcrafters at inflated prices and enjoy a luxurious lifestyle in my dotage:)

Great but I never use most of it sticking to my favourites and finding somewhere to put it is a nightmare

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
To be honest I do hoard kit but I like it! Because I have lots of kit I like to try different combinations from Boone style to modern or mixtures of both and I like having lots of kit because it gives me flexibility to do different things. I pretty much set my targets on a bit of kit buy it then that process gets repeated, hence why I have so much kit and why I wash the car and clean the dishes a lot!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Collecting Bushcraft kit is for wimps.....try self sufficiency kit - when you debate needing a fifth 20 litre plus pan, when your unfilled jars and bottles occupy the space of two double wardrobes, when you have more wood than would fill a single garage to the roof, when you have to move the rotovator and lawn tractor to get to the manure trailer.....that's when you need more space :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hoarding kit is only in the eye of the beholder...

I only have what I think is necessary and essential. It's my wife that thinks it's excessive hoarding :rolleyes::lmao:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
To be honest I do hoard kit but I like it! Because I have lots of kit I like to try different combinations from Boone style to modern or mixtures of both and I like having lots of kit because it gives me flexibility to do different things. I pretty much set my targets on a bit of kit buy it then that process gets repeated, hence why I have so much kit and why I wash the car and clean the dishes a lot!

For me if your using the kit thats a different matter. Its when it laying in cupboards for years without use it need sold.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a fair bit of kit, but I'm not in the pub every night, I don't smoke and I enjoy trying new gear. I work hard for my coin and spend it recklessly on bushy stuff... and I LOVE IT!! :D

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
For me its part of my hobby, buying and trying new kit and going outdoors. I must have spent about 2k easily since last year. However I only started this hobby about a year a go so been catching up.

I do find it hard to get rid of things though, even if not using them as I keep them as spares or just in case I ever want/need them again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE