Are we becoming Kit Hoarders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Many people amass items that go with their hobbies so bushcraft is no different. I said on another post that I've cleared the house except for a basic camping set and a few stoves. IF I go cold weather camping again all I'd have to add would be clothing/down jacket sort of thing. The clear out has done me good, made me realise how little I really need; no need to surround myself and clog up home with stuff I'll never use.

I've gone through different 'hoarding' phases in my life, started with books, then climbing kit, VHS films, stoves, bushcraft/camping... its in my nature I suspect. Its back to films these days, more and more DVD/BDs arriving every week :(

Yep, I am the same. I have been like it all my life. When I was a kid first it was Matchbox cars then Airfix soldiers and Action Man stuff. As I got a little older it was key rings and Marvel comics. After a gap of a few years for dating and boozing it started again with (slightly) more grown up stuff!

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Many people amass items that go with their hobbies so bushcraft is no different. I said on another post that I've cleared the house except for a basic camping set and a few stoves. IF I go cold weather camping again all I'd have to add would be clothing/down jacket sort of thing. The clear out has done me good, made me realise how little I really need; no need to surround myself and clog up home with stuff I'll never use.

I've gone through different 'hoarding' phases in my life, started with books, then climbing kit, VHS films, stoves, bushcraft/camping... its in my nature I suspect. Its back to films these days, more and more DVD/BDs arriving every week :(

Join the club. I think it is just part of living. Hoarding something means just being faithful to our interests and life. As long as we can manage to recycle unused items well enough, so no one notices we are hoarding. :) Unused items get piled and piled in the house is a big no no. Because it prevents hoarding next interesting items due to space and financial problem it might create, let alone relationship problems.

Without some degree of hoarding, I think life would be quite boring. It would be like being a lone buddhist monk in deep and high mountain. (Even they need stoves, lamps, kettles, blades and shelters to survive, I would imagine. ):D

Last edited:

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I'm pretty brutal with my kit. I have a summer, winter and backpacking set up but much of the gear is the same across the set-ups anyway.
Any excess kit is usually flogged here or traded with some of my bushy mates for other bits. Up until very recently I could get my whole material life in a 90L bag, minus my push bike of course!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I've barely bought anything in years and have never been one for doubling things up. Tend to always use the same kit and my winter setup is just layers under and above what I use the rest of the year.
I'm on my second winter bag, fourth tent(or tent-like like affair), first and only stove, second belt knife, fourth rucksack(still use them all - 15l, 35l, 55l, 75l)....
...which in thirty years of camping isn't much.

Mostly it's just boots and other consumables, a pair of craghoppers every couple of years, nice socks if I see them...
New gear gets added but I have to really need it and if it's expensive have to convince myself that it'll get the use. When I splashed out on a [second hand] Tahr a few years ago then had six months of dry trips it was like a £150 of bad joke taking up space in my pack. After a few wet trips and seeing that it was a pretty good yakking cag' it started earning it's place but it wasn't 'till I was howking rhodies in the rain and rolling around in the mud that it really paid for itself.

Still surrounded by kit of course. As Rik said it arrives in waves as something new gets added to the hobby collection. Can barely move without tripping over bows and paddles and but apart from those it's all still just "one of each". (Do have a few pots/billies these days but only because my old ones didn't fit in the canoe hatch.)
Of course if you put enough "one of each" in a pile it does start looking a bit gear junkie'ish :rolleyes: but I camp with proper gear junkies all the time and know I don't have it anywhere near as bad as some. :D

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Being relativley young and not knowing what I was going to do/ where I was going to be etc I went through quite a period of life with the thought of - if it won't fit in my pack I don't need it. - that progressed onto if it won't fit in the car then I don't need it.

Now I'm a little older if it won't fit in the loft I don't need it - although thanks to my previous frugalness all my stuff does fit in the house [apart from the stuff that's in the shed :)]. I also now have children so if/when they ever go away into the big wide world I can give them stuff to go with:)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
To be honest, i like to have two of everything, a primary and a back up, if a friend needs something.
I don't drink or party, I'm happy to treat myself I don't see it as a waste if it's used

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I have lots of stuff, I find interesting things at car boots.

yesterday was a Desert camo army tarp...How could I resist that?

Agreed, I got a brand new Peak 1 petrol stove for £15 last weekend. Can't turn down a bargain even if I don't need it.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
I am reminded of a story once told by Robin Williams, when his wife started complaining about the 100+ bicycles that were in his collection.

He smiled and said to her, "Honey, look on the bright side, instead of this, I could be really into Ferraris!".

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
My wife, rolling her eyes at another junk shop tilley lamp purchase, asked me 'Why have you got 4 tilley lamps?'

'Because I haven't seen a fifth one I like the look of yet'

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi my name is Copper_head and I am a kit hoarder.
Phew there I said it, first step to recovery?
I have a fair amount of stuff but I like to have lots of options available to me. Really depends on what I'm doing. I have 'load-outs' for lightweight hiking, family camping, vintage gear, hammocking, bivvying, tent camping and winter gear. Then a load of stuff I've picked up along the way that isn't worth passing on but I can't bring myself to chuck. Guess that last sentence is the hoarding bit eh? Oh and I do need 10+ rucksacks honestly!

Last edited:

rancid badger

Thing is, you tend to buy stuff thinking; "That'll be ideal for such and such a trip" or whatever, then it just doesn't happen and you end up stuck with stuff you've never used and never will!

A classic example is the top notch TNF tent I bought a couple of years ago-never used-now trying to sell it to upgrade my sea fishing kit!:rolleyes:

Another pricey item bought thinking; "Yeah!, ideal for my canoe tripping"- a Lifesaver bottle-that turns out to have a 3 year shelf life on the main filter-never used it-now can't use it:aargh4:

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Usually there were so valid reasons for getting more kits of same type, such as it was cheaper than the one I bought yesterday, looks better and nicer, different design, different make, that it feels like crime or totally unacceptable not getting another.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I'm in a rather odd situation. I've just been paid but don't have the urge or need to buy anything bushy at the moment. I usually buy a couple of things a month at least, whether it be a pocket book or something but I honestly can't think of anything I need or want. It's a strange sensation.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm in a rather odd situation. I've just been paid but don't have the urge or need to buy anything bushy at the moment. I usually buy a couple of things a month at least, whether it be a pocket book or something but I honestly can't think of anything I need or want. It's a strange sensation.

I long for that feeling...........but still want loads of stuff! To much gear not enough money :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE