Are we becoming Kit Hoarders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I did but realised this and now I'm simplifying everything from my bush kit to my fishing kit as I find the simpler the better.
Sick of owning gear I do not need and rarely use.
By doing this I can combine all my outdoor hobby gear into one manageable pack and this suits me better

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For me if your using the kit thats a different matter. Its when it laying in cupboards for years without use it need sold.

I still have my first saddle from when I was only six. Obviously I haven't used it in decades but I ain't selling it. Likewise with my first shotguns (one of them is the 410 mama gave me when I was three and another was my Grand-Daddy's almost 80 years ago) Not getting rid of Daddy's shotgun or his machetes from Panama nor the stuff I collected and used as a teen in the Scouts (not any more of it anyway; unfortunately I gave some of the more collectable bits to a younger cousin years ago)

There's kit that's just kit and then there's kit that's either family heirlooms or extremely sentimental. Much of the latter has or will become wall decorations (Grand-Daddy's shotgun has much too thin a barrel to be safely fired any more)

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
For me if your using the kit thats a different matter. Its when it laying in cupboards for years without use it need sold.

Fair enough, I do like to use my kit instead of having "draw queens" because its meant for using but that doesn't mean my gear isn't in good condition because it take good care of it all :).

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I did but realised this and now I'm simplifying everything from my bush kit to my fishing kit as I find the simpler the better.
Sick of owning gear I do not need and rarely use.
By doing this I can combine all my outdoor hobby gear into one manageable pack and this suits me better

I hope to achieve this now, my partner called me a secret hoarder and to be honest she's right

I still have my first saddle from when I was only six. Obviously I haven't used it in decades but I ain't selling it. Likewise with my first shotguns (one of them is the 410 mama gave me when I was three and another was my Grand-Daddy's almost 80 years ago) Not getting rid of Daddy's shotgun or his machetes from Panama nor the stuff I collected and used as a teen in the Scouts (not any more of it anyway; unfortunately I gave some of the more collectable bits to a younger cousin years ago)

There's kit that's just kit and then there's kit that's either family heirlooms or extremely sentimental. Much of the latter has or will become wall decorations (Grand-Daddy's shotgun has much too thin a barrel to be safely fired any more)

I understand that and have some belongs from family that i would never get rid of but some I must if only to de clutter. On another side I recently cleared out woodwork and other kit I made or used at school and in the past but had kept for memories and nothing else.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The less time I actually spend in the great outdoors the more time I have at home on my computer buying the stuff I would like to use outdoors! I have found over the last year or so that I now have so much stuff I can fully separate family camping equipment from my bushcraft stuff almost to the point of things being fully colour coordinated. I can't think of anything I actually need now so I really should be trimming it down a little (by a little I mean a couple of car loads).

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hope to achieve this now, my partner called me a secret hoarder and to be honest she's right

I understand that and have some belongs from family that i would never get rid of but some I must if only to de clutter. On another side I recently cleared out woodwork and other kit I made or used at school and in the past but had kept for memories and nothing else.

Agreed. The trick is separating your kit into the three categories:
1) Kit with sentimental value for yourself or your progeny
2) Kit you actually use or are keeping for planned projects or as an investment
3) Kit that needs to go

And all three piles need to be re-evaluated regularly.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've far too much, I go through phases of buying loads and then 6 months later selling it all again.

Shelters, sleeping bags/quilts, stoves, pots and rucksacks do me in, I'm not so bad with sharps though. I'm currently on my fourth Sabre 75, I keep getting rid and then regretting it come winter time, I'll probably sell this one soon enough.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Women hoard shoes, Men hoard bushy kit.....*ducks and runs*

Speak for yourself :)
I have a largish shoe collection :eek: ( and that includes a bushcraft shoe collections too) but my bushcraft kit covers everything from myself out for a wander, to a decent camp, to group kit, to Neolithic through to Iron Age stuff.

The *kerthump* as the machete thing dropped through the letter box was interesting :) as was the expression on HWMBLT's face when he realised that yes, I had actually bought a parachute :D :lmao:

cheers,
Toddy

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
kits great,all my stuff is cheep mostly but it all gets used, i have stints with each stove and pot, then move on for a while, im back into the Hobo stove setup ATM....

:):):):):):):):):)

all good...

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
I admit it. i'm a hoarder. but its' not for lack of trying. :)
biggest reason is that I can't find suitable gear locally, so I buy online.
problem with buying online, is that i can't 'handle/wear/test" the stuff before i buy it.
with all the gear I have accumulated and tried out over the years, maybe I should start a blog.
I suspect that I will be adding another storage box to my kit soon. LOL.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
You could always list it on here and ask people to pay the postage and make a donation to charity by way of 'payment'. On another website, I once raised £225 for BLESMA by doing that.

Yes I did this a couple of times already for Macmillan. Even at low prices, the stuff was really slow to sell. It seemed that people were reluctant to buy because I was in effect giving the stuff away..... Anyway I might try again.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have lots of stuff, I find interesting things at car boots.

yesterday was a Desert camo army tarp...How could I resist that?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Many people amass items that go with their hobbies so bushcraft is no different. I said on another post that I've cleared the house except for a basic camping set and a few stoves. IF I go cold weather camping again all I'd have to add would be clothing/down jacket sort of thing. The clear out has done me good, made me realise how little I really need; no need to surround myself and clog up home with stuff I'll never use.

I've gone through different 'hoarding' phases in my life, started with books, then climbing kit, VHS films, stoves, bushcraft/camping... its in my nature I suspect. Its back to films these days, more and more DVD/BDs arriving every week :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE