Are hammockers the new vegetarians?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
If those who don't want to ground dwell were to organize an overnighter where using a tent wasn't feasible, would you go and buy a hammock for what might be a one off use?

Suspended over an active volcano perhaps, can't think of anywhere else where I couldn't use a tent.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
could it be that bob is going a bit gaga and getting old like the rest of us i always take a tent on a just in case cenerio but have never used it as yet
on another note bob compromise and pick a mountain with some trees lol regards dave:lmao::lmao:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... can't think of anywhere else where I couldn't use a tent.

The same can be said of hammocks ~ it's horses for courses and personal choice ;) .

Some people think hammocks are best, some say tents. Personally I couldn't one hoot let alone two about what others use ~ let people make their own choices and if they miss out on something, so be it :cool:

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
The Cree people have been here in Ontario for thousands of years but only recently heard tell of vegetarians. Their language had no such word,
so they translated it as 'lousy hunter'...
We have another popular saying over here..'Only mad dogs and Englishmen sleep in hammocks'.....:)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
could it be that bob is going a bit gaga and getting old like the rest of us i always take a tent on a just in case cenerio but have never used it as yet
on another note bob compromise and pick a mountain with some trees lol regards dave:lmao::lmao:

If you're not camping on a mountain top you're not camping. Picking a walking route to suit a naval sleeping system is bizare; how would the captain of a ship feel if he had to return to port every night so the crew could pitch their tents?
stir.gif

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Cree people have been here in Ontario for thousands of years but only recently heard tell of vegetarians. Their language had no such word,
so they translated it as 'lousy hunter'...
We have another popular saying over here..'Only mad dogs and Englishmen sleep in hammocks'.....:)

What's the point of hunting something that I'm never going to eat :confused:
I'd rather grow a crop :D

I tell you though, if I were in a jungle or a flooded site, I'd hang a hammock quick enough :D
and Oi!! I'm a Scot :D

Toddy

forestwalker

Suspended over an active volcano perhaps, can't think of anywhere else where I couldn't use a tent.

Swamp? Filthy urban "woods"?

I've slept in all kinds of shelters. The hammock is nice because you can stop caring about flat ground, wet ground, etc. Ground based shelters will work even if the tallest tree is a 2,5 m birch. A tarp has the best space/(weight x work) ratio, but is annoying in mosquito season and often lacks in privacy, e.g. if you have company of the appropriate sex, or are out with people who care about (or stare at) skin. A tent is a confined little cubbyhole, where you can't see the world around you, but it is a very sheltered and private little cubbyhole, even in extreme conditions. Snowshelters are ever so warm and protected, but they take a lot of time and effort to build. A debris hut (or other natural shelter) takes time, and you need permission to gather materials, but can be quite nice for the effort. A big log fire is warm all night, but is even more tricky in some landscapes than a debris hut. In an hotel room you may have a Bear for neighbour.

All shelters have their advantages and disadvantages, all have places where they are one of the better choices, all have places where they are an insane choice.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hammocks are good, tarps are good even for ground dwelling - tents cut you off from the environment!
My Ground Dwelling kit is the same as my hammock kit ... minus the hammock!
Veggies are good
Fruit is good
a bacon butty is AWESOME!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I rarely eat anything that didnt have a face or a name at some point, i own 3 or 4 tents but prefer to hammock as ground dwelling sometimes hurts my back.

If it was a choice of tent or not go i'd tent

Dave

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I wouldn't say I'm a solely a hammocker or tenter, I have both but have no preference, I just do what's most suited to where I'm going.
Passing up on a trip in the mountains is silly no matter the reason ;)

Jan 15, 2012
essex
They could of hammered in a couple of pins in the rocks, tied onto them. i cant use a hammock, i sleep on my front, cant sleep on my back, side not to bad but will roll over in the night.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What if it was a choice between starving and a bacon roll....

We had a huge long discussion about this a while back.
I'd go hungry.
Food isn't just sustenance; humanity isn't simple, there are real moral (for some, I just find meat totally repugnant) and cultural issues involved.

Suppose it was starve or eat dogsh1t ?
That's honestly how it feels to some people.

I don't even cook with the same pots and utensils for meat as for any other foods....a bit like a good Jewess and her seperate meat and dairy handling. I don't go as far as two different fridges and freezers, but meat is kept very seperate.
Yes, I even do it camping :D ask Scot's Corner :)

cheers,
Toddy

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
It's hard giving CPR in a Hammock so oldies should stick to ground dwelling.

The only veggies who I respect are those who have had their incisors extracted as a sign of commitment.

Incisors (from Latin incidere, "to cut") are the first four front teeth present in heterodont mammals.

;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE