Fjallraven trousers - what are the different models for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Visited FR site to check out their outdoor trousers. I thought maybe 3 models but they have a huge range. They've listed a few uses and about 3 models per type of use but imho what does their differentiation really mean?

Just how different are the requirements for trekking compared to day hiking or multi day backpacking? Isn't trekking those holidays you pay a lot for where someone guides your group and they have people carrying your overnight load for you? But FR has trekking trousers as highly specced.

I basically go for walks in all weathers. Cold I layer up with long johns. If warmer I'm likely in shorts anyway. I reckon their whole range of trousers would suit me most of the time I'd need trousers with the exception of insulated or lined trousers which I know don't suit my use.

Can anyone tell me the best trousers to wear when I'm wearing trousers in say the Lakeland falls all year round plus valley camping and other general times? I really don't know my providda from my keb!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hey Paul, you're right, they do have a huge range of different trousers, shapes, styles and fashion. For a general, all purpose trousers, and not the latest fashion statement, i swear by either the Vidda Pros or the Barrents Pro. They have plenty of pocketage, high waist and roomy legs. Some styles seem to be quite a bit slimmer (as i believe is the style at the moment). Also, they are pretty hard wearing. I'm 5"10', and a 33' waist, so go for a size 50. i wear mine all the time now except in the hot weather, where they are a bit too thick. But remedied that but buying some new vidda ventilated ones, with zips on the leg.
I have tried the Kebs, but i didn't get on with them. Wasn't keen on all the micro fibre or the pockets on the front of the legs, i prefer them on the sides. But plenty of folk swear by them.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I like the Barents too, the shorts especially, and have some. Just wait for the sales and get relaxed about the available colours. Greenland and Vidda are good too.

Fjallraven have stuff in different materials, different weights and and combinations of materials, offering options in ventilation, layering and so forth. Also, there are ranges like Karl, which are brushed cotton beach wear really. Just got to read the specs and figure out what you are actually after. It is a fair percentage of the fun working it out for yourself, watching the video reviews, gripers and fans alike.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
The different types usually translate to different types of fabric and/or mobility. You got the ones with firmer fabric suitable for colder climates, with stretch panels for hiking (eg Keb) and without for walking/ general use (eg Vidda). These are often too hot for UK summers. Then you've got the thinner fabric ones for use in summer or in hotter climates. I don't have any of these so not very familiar with the various models.

There also used to be two versions of "everything"- one with raw length legs (eg Barents) and one with a finished leg opening, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore. Great for stuffing in wellies, more normal looking trousers for everyday use, better ventilation in warm weather and of course if you have non-standard length legs.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't really see why hiking,trekking and general outdoors requires different features. If I'm outdoors then I'm experiencing the weather and I don't really agree with the Idea that there's another level of outdoor activity that requires tougher trousers. You can scuff them anywhere, as my school trousers often showed in the distant past (good job my mum knew how to do the invisible patch repair)!!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
The ones (like the kebs) with the micro fibre, offer more freedom of movement for more mountainous terrain apparently. Although i found out to my cost today that the material does not stop wasp stings, and the vidda pro ventillated only has the micro fibre in the crotch region :aarghh::aarghh::aarghh:. 3 cheers for ribwort plantain!!!

Reactions: Billy-o

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As far as I am informed, most of the Fjälräven stuff nowadays is meant as so called "urban outdoor clothing" what means round about drivg whith a two wheel drive SUV to the shopping area in town in order to drink a latte macchiato and to go for shopping more of that over priced and over hyped stuff.

The times as usual Fjällräven trousers had been high end expedition equipment are gone since the fabrication moved from Sweden to China. They now a days fall in pieces after round about only one year of continuous use, what you can expect from a 12 € Primark jeans too. The thread they use is weak and the fabric usually is pretty weak too.

If you buy Solognac Steppe 300 trousers or shorts 100 or Forclaz travel 100 convertible zipp off leg pants in 65% cotton and 35 % polyester fabric mix you make the far better deal, because the Decathlon stuff costs one third of the Fjälräven trousers or even far less and is made in a bit better quality, especially the sewing quality is better here.

5.11 offers similar stuff, Helicon as well as others do it too, but the stuff is usualy made in a higher quality for half the price.

The olive green Austrian Army uniforms are made in a 65% cotton 35 % polyester version too, cost a quarter in new conditions and are made in far better qualities than usual Fjälräven clothing.

I highly recommend to spend the money somewhere else and I especially recommend not to go with only one pair of Fjälräven trousers in lonely areas. If they suddenly fall in pieces there it's surely not so funny. The pretty similar alternatives from Pinewood are for half the price nearly as bad as Fjälräven stuff and also not really a good option. Fjälräven / Globetrotter sells in Germany another clothing brand too, which is called Frilufts. This stuff is absolutely horribly and even for dog walking in Parks no good idea!

The 120 litres expedition rucksack made by Fjälräven in Sweden I use since round about 25 years without any problems. But that factory is unfortunately history. Such stuff you don't get any more if you don't get it used.

But of course other brands like Hilleberg, Carinthia and Savotta still sell high end expedition stuff.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE