Are Eastern Euros Stealing Fish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I have recently started lure fishing again and have noticed that a stretch of our local river was rather 'dead'. Not far from this stretch is a Polish community - indeed I have seen a few of these guys fishing whilst I've been canoeing. I guessed that these guys might be eating a few of what they had caught - no problem there.
Then, more alarmingly, I have heard that Fenland drains are being netted and lots of large pike heads have been found on the banks.
Views or news from anyone here on the matter?

P1010934.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was fishing a while back now and whilst we were setting up a few latvian an polish guys and girls turned up:) .

After having a chat and several latvian vodkas which were wonderfull by the way :eek: i brought up our catch and release laws/ethics. I found that they had only recently found out that it was not legal/acceptable to catch and eat our course fish. They completely unerstood especially when they realised that there were not as many lakes an habitats in the UK as there were back home.

Needless to say we didnt get much fishing done but we did have a great time drinking and sharing food that we were all cooking.

I think its mainly just a miss unerstaning and something needs to be one to raise the awareness of this.. TV adverts or something...

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I think you are right, but it appears that in the fens a few bad eggs are tainting the eastern european communities reputation.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Yes they are nicking fish. I live a mile from one reservoir, two from another and five from another. I chat with the Anglian water guys - water baliffs and the reservoir guys - when I am out and about.

They regularly catch Eastern Europeans trying it on with fishing, fishing is allowed but very carefully controlled with catch weight limits in order to maintain the stocks. I have had various stories ranging from the odd bit of rod and line poaching to something akin to 'factory fishing' using big nets. I stopped of for a chat one morning and the duty chappie told me that a couple of days before he had called in the Police to remove an extened family of a dozen Polish folks that had built a huge bonfire and were busily barbecueing a few pike they had caught. They saw nothing wrong in what they were doing and had basically told him that they would do him physical damage if he did not push off......plod time.

The thing is over on the mainland it is common practice to go and lift a fish out of the water for dinner, mainly because the shops were always empty durig that glorious time of social engineering they underwent. They are also dab hands at foraging in the woods for fungi and other free edibles.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Thanks Tourist, what you describe is what I've heard but didn't know how true it was. I think this could be a major concern in the fens where I guess many of the field/arable working gangs are made up of eastern europeans.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Thanks Tourist, what you describe is what I've heard but didn't know how true it was. I think this could be a major concern in the fens where I guess many of the field/arable working gangs are made up of eastern europeans.

Word of warning as someone who plodded, do not get into an arguement with them if you catch or seem them out and about.......Call plod. It is well known in plod circles and was recently pointed out publically by the Chief Constable of Cambridgeshire - these people carry knives more readily as it is accepted in their culture. They also have access to CS sprays and electro shock guns and many of them have had military training and some of them combat experience.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Round here the water owners would be delighted to have a few pike removed.

It wasnt so many years ago a big lake was drained so they could remove the pike.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Word of warning as someone who plodded, do not get into an arguement with them if you catch or seem them out and about.......Call plod. It is well known in plod circles and was recently pointed out publically by the Chief Constable of Cambridgeshire - these people carry knives more readily as it is accepted in their culture. They also have access to CS sprays and electro shock guns and many of them have had military training and some of them combat experience.

This is a real shame, I really did believe that they appreciated Great Britain and respected our values.I have worked with both Latvian and Polish and they have been great, yet again a few morons could really upset things.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Most foregners of all types I have met and worked with have been very good citizens.

I still hate then for being strangers though

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
On the good side, sounds like they could teach us a few "bushcraft" techniques.
And round here anyway, the polish women are a lot better looking than the local orange faced, 20 Bensons a day munters so its no all bad:)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
It is a fact that Eastern Europeans are taking fish and angling without any type of licences. This problem has been well-documented in the media.

This seems to be more of a cultural problem, with the Polish community at least, than any kind of wanton disrespect for the law. From what I've read one doesn't need a licence to fish in Poland and it is usual to eat your catch (and why not?). In fact they are dumbfounded by the British throwing them back.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/06/nfish06.xml
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6941262.stm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=414428&in_page_id=1770

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
The water bailiffs are having a hard time on the canals young fishermen are being intimidated by eastern Europeans who are demanding their catch they have also been caught catching swans :cussing: there are now signs in various languages warning its illegal to steal the wildlife, Im sure thats going to put a stop to it:rolleyes:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Pike are not really pests Tengu. If anything Zander are the nuisance fish and of course Crayfish (signals that is) I read the other day that there is officially 450 thousand odd immigrants in the last 5 years but unofficially the number is nearer 1 million because kids and other relatives may not be included in official figures. (i don't know how many of these are eastern europeans) I suppose you're always going to get a few bad apples in any 1 million people from any country.
I believe Carp ponds/lakes that are stocked at great expense for Carp anglers are also being plundered as they are highly prized and even eaten for Christmas dinner in some eastern european countries.
Am I the only one who feels we can't sustain this mass influx from eastern europe, and the strains it is putting on our society. No one else seems to be worried about it. The argument is that we can equally go over and live in eastern europe. Yeah right with all the benifits that would bring.:confused: Other than us lot of bushy types (no jokes please :) ) on here for the forests. I can't see that there's a lot of interest for your average Brit in Eastern europe. They have more to gain from coming here than we would have to gain from going over there to live............. Benifits, NHS, good wages.
I've nothing against Polish or any other eastern european people in fact I know a fair few who work at the hospital and they're very nice people and hard workers. But we simply cannot sustain all the extra housing, hospital beds, benifit claims (of which they can claim even if the child is still in their own country living) and all the other stresses on society. We're only little after all and everywhere is already crowded in this country. Any trip in a car usually ends with getting stuck in traffic. Too many people here that's why. Not meaning to rant but all I'm saying is it'll end in disaster and it won't be realised until it's too late. As usual with everything (commercial fishing quotas) for example.
Why can't we have a points or green card system like Australia NZ USA or Canada. It seems for EVERYONE the door is open over here just come on in. :) Again not ranting or being racist. Just it's going to end in disaster and we'll all suffer except the immigrants who will simply return home. Just give it 20 years or so :)
Went a bit off topic there. Soz

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
You and your Wild gourmets Wayland. You've really got a bee in your bonnet (or horned helmet should I say :) ) about those havn't you? :D
I think if it was explained that they are welcome to fish in the sea with no licence (at the moment :rolleyes: but give it time :( ) and keep what they catch observing species size limits then maybe that would help.

xylaria

Can you imagine living in country were you walk into a forest and can walk so far you never find the other side, and when you you wre child you sent there to pick wild fungi unsupervised. A country where the armed services aren't given ration packs but a small emergancy pack and are expected to know how to forage. In the czech rep. i saw homeless drunks putting there emptys in the bin, here normal people don't do that. You can eat off the pavements in prague it is that clean. OK they can't understand point of sport fishing, either can I.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I could go on about Continentals, foraging and the reasons behind it for ages. I am myself by birth a German, have a German Passport as well as a British one and spent nearly 20 years there.

During WW2 and immediately post WW2 there was a drastic shortage of many basics and staples in many countries not favoured with American supplies. Therefore in Germany and occupied Europe people maintained and developed their foraging, herbal and agricultural/gardening skills. At the basic level Ersatz Kaffee, made from acorns, a vick substitue made from Camomile (hanging drying in my Garage at the moment), nettle soup, dandelion salad. True, we take such things for granted in a bushy way, but for the inhabitants of the mainland they were the difference between having and not having. My mothers parents had a hotel and property in Rostock, but by the time she was 10 she had out of necessity learned to slaughter and prepare poultry and rabbits, milk cows and goats and a host of other things..........other than that she used to push a pram around with the other kids collecting bricks from bombed buildings so that they could be used to rebuild houses.

The former Warsaw Pact, or new Europeans, did not have the benefit of US aid post WW2 so they continued to make do. I had family in East Germany during the bad old days and heard all the stories about cardboard cars, the jokes about artificial ‘artificial leather’ shoes and queuing for whatever was available at the front of the queue. I remember being told about a visit to the bakers shop, there was nothing on the shelves as in totally empty, the daily order of breadrolls for everyone was kept in the back so that no one could see what was there. I was never allowed to East Germany as was, but I know that when relatives visited they loaded a car and trailer with everything from sugar and salt to microwave ovens and washing machines.

Because of their shortages and isolation the Eastern Europeans developed a culture of ‘get it if you can’ which bordered on the criminal. The law enforcement and judicial system they had to contend with included secret police, state police, military police and even the Gulags, so they became very adept at surreptitious petty criminality. They are now free to travel and when they come to western countries they see a smorgasbord of opportunity in front of them. One reason is that the police are limited in their ability to deal with foreigners because they do not speak Polish or Serbo Croat. The major reason though is that the british Police in contrast to Police Forces in former WP States is like a bunch of boy scouts and is more or less restricted to giving someone a severe telling off. Even if it does come to jail time, our jails here a like convalescence homes compared to jails in eastern europe.

Its pretty much a conversation I had with an American DEA Agent and a Judge in Tampa a couple of years ago, the eastern Europeans come over and to them, where we live looks like Disney World with no security or controls. I could go on about how the eastern Europeans have stepped into several areas of criminal enterprise telling home grown criminals they should consider early retirement but its not appropriate here.

I do clearly remember my childhood in Germany and Austria when I used to go mushrooming on my own[mainly in the Eifel], I had learned exactly what was what and always used to get home with a basket full of Pilze…………nowadays all I know is that I buy my mushrooms in a punnet in a supermarket, well at least until my mushrooms logs start producing.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit, but I have had a foot in both cultures for 45 years now.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
In all honesty, I believe it is a time bomb waiting to go off. The boys in charge can bury their heads in the sand all they want. One day, it is gonna go off in a big way. I dread to think what the consequences will be.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
wot does a carp fed on boilies taste like any way? crap I expect compared to a wild one from poland. Force farm fed fish always tatse bad. I just started eating wild alskan salmon, wont be eating scottish farm salmon again. Why is there this sanctimonious outrage that someone wants to EAT a coarse (peasant) fish any way, they are welcome to them as far as I care :lmao: I think our illusrtious peasantish forebear's ate pike, eels etc wots the problem? Why the distinctoin between game and coarse fish?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE