Hike, Fish, Camp overnighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Part 1

After a busy weeks work, I rewarded myself with a night in the woods....

Collecting everything together, I went for a lighter weight set up. I planned to combine three things I like to do to unwind, a leisurely hike in the warm weather, a spot of fishing and an overnight camp somewhere along the way.

My lovely wife dropped me off some 20km from home in a quaint little village. The houses were a mix of quintessentially English thatched cottages and mid 80s red brick houses. The pub seating encroached on the road but noone seemed to mind as they weaved their cars round the benches. With the sun out and a gentle breeze I ventured into the sheep mown fields, the yellow marked styles stretching out into the distance.

96716f55f522a37ccce1d8e1021c9753.jpg

As I crossed from one field to the next, I came across sheep, then bullocks, then dairy cows, then horses then back to sheep. Every animal seemed settled grazing and not one gave me any trouble as I meandered through, pack on my back and rod in my hand. I routinely checked the OS app on my phone, heading for the first stretch of river to throw the lure in. Pike and perch are what I go for, I'm too impatient to sit at the bankside waiting for a fish to nibble at a suspended baited hook.... this type of fishing is wilder I suppose, and I have to pay attention to the river, looking for likely fishy spots. I didn't know this river, so I was just going to have to cross my fingers!

Unfortunately, my first map chosen spot had signs everywhere saying 'No Fishing, Private Banks'... only a little bit bummed out I passed through and took to the semi shade of a hedged footpath. This turned up some of the hedgerow larder and things looked well in advance. In less than 100yds there was small bounty of fruits for the forager...

81a1e5f9eccaf53391cedef17ae5b02d.jpg

3418f1bafb529585801ef22e4acc6bd2.jpg

90dd6bd11ca3ec5e1877ec348c0ad402.jpg

8953a5d5e65501f1ccaf83caacabcf8a.jpg

095f1299b65aa37ed33efa9b49133115.jpg

I crossed another style and went on the hunt for better water. As I traipsed across the fields, my mind wandered to the usual business of umms and ahhhing thoughts, sorting out the jumble in my head and it was a few hours before my brain settled to just enjoying the walk. The ground was rock hard underfoot and this made the going easy. Not many hills where I live.

After some time, I decided to take a lunch break beside a shaded pool. Another sign said no fishing beyond this point, so I dutifully cast my rod into the pool before the aforementioned point in the hope of a bite. Between reeling in I snacked on an oat bar from my food pouch and drank some water.

I always carry the same kind of food on these jaunts. I don't need much more than a constant supply of nibbles in the day with a main meal at night.

65449d7f9f92fd2e60d79fee30d9701c.jpg

57835ee2ca994eac20f326abe8326c76.jpg

Half an hour later, no fish. No bites. Oh well, onwards to the next spot.... passing through a rewilded plantation, I snagged some big hazelnuts that were right on the button. I put a dozen in my pocket for munching later.

6c00de732c37927b6b5d3fc202876159.jpg

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Part 2

Once though the plantation it was back to crossing open grazing, passing through small villages along the way. While heading down a narrow footpath between two wattle and daub cottages nature had a way of reminding me that we all have an end point!

39b077a94620b89aeda7d4bd1ec966f2.jpg

Fortunately I was still feeling fit as a fiddle! The tiny bird must of succumbed to the heat, or maybe lost a battle with a cat..... who knows......

Edging out of what was to be the last village of the day, I walked through a village supported Grove of horse chestnuts. Lovely personalised benches with plaques of the donator, reminders of relatives lost were spread politely through the plot.

f71896abb06f483419deeaa4623c9a16.jpg

Out into the fields again I sauntered along. Crossing the main line, The obligatory common sense sign reminded me to use my eyes and ears.

5befed85a8e9fa02edd432c1ec611ebf.jpg

Crossing a beautiful footbridge across the winding River, I looked down to see a deep pool and caught the swirl of a fish on the surface. Dropping my pack on the near Bank, I clown stepped through the stinging nettles to reach the bank. After a couple of tangled casts, I decided that to get the lure into that cool dark pool I would have to commit to standing in the middle of the river, in the shallow part 20ft from where the water deepened casting into the water then reeling it back in towards me. Two casts and bang! Fish on! A nice little perch saved my blank for the day, and I put him back with as little disturbance to him as possible. I cast a dozen more times into that pool to no avail, but as I stepped back onto the bank I had a smile on my face.

29fc95939b8f5dba09218eb95e3c68b6.jpg

I carried on, this time with squeltchy feet... one of the reasons why i prefer unlined footwear. The motion of walking will squeze out the worst of it as I go. Goretex lined footwear hold the water in, causing more soreness than needed and take days to dry out!

A few kilometers later and another liley fishy spot. Beautiful, next to an medieval bridge, the remenants of which could be seen under the more modern victorian bridge. No bites, but the fish were teasing me, gobbling large off the surface. After a delightful half hour of casting and day dreaming, I moved on.

3585abba3fc4fe49fdb2b04b6e7a51f7.jpg

At last, my planned camp spot beckoned through the gate to Narnia...

c764dda6ccab0ee4ca8d713ac2dc98fd.jpg

On the map, my chosen site was next to a river, so I had ideas of setting camp and then fishing that stretch until bed time. No such luck. The river ws clogged with reedmace and not moving much at all. Tucked into my little wood, I set up the tent and laid back on my roll mat to rest. I had removed my wet socks and trail runners, hanging it all from convenient low branches to dry. Time for dinner.....

6b398fb35f5f052963b78cf9b7967846.jpg

042fdb5445684ee21aa932e654996c85.jpg

I add hot water to the pouch and seal in a foil cosy for 15min. It rehydrates while I lay back and daydream.

9d0cfbdbc5daea90d041d0e2c5ffd489.jpg

After finishing up dinner, drinking an Electrolyte drink and getting set for bed, I laid in my tent relaxing. A quick call to my wife and after sending her my exact coordinates I snuggled into my sleeping bag at last light and drifted into a comfortable sleep.

I awoke later than usual, about 0630 and stetched out, surprised at the good nights sleep. Breakfast time! A coffee sachet mixed with 2 oat sachets, BOOM. done. I was fed, packed up and ready to go in an hour, all at a leisurely pace. No need to rush. Even my socks and trail runners had dried out.

After a final check that I had left nothing behind, I moved out of my little copse and began the 6km walk home. There were no decent fishing stretches for the most part but it was nice just to pass through slumbering villages in the early morning coolness. I baid good morning to the odd dog walker, exchanging pleasentries as we parted. The final stretch of fishy water looked inviting. Should I? Shouldn't I? May as well old chap, last chance saloon and all that......

Well well, three fish in four casts!

3b05a39430a679cf70a6af0919b875a0.jpg

8de5ee2f619d25e56806c0030743ca9e.jpg

9c96934ee8474560f41c373cca67877d.jpg

What a way to end a lovely little overnighter! Hiking, fishing and camping, no rushing about, no emails..... perfect!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE