Anyone use the DPM hooped bivi? Thoughts please :0)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
I do been looking at hooped bivis for a while and have seen edicotts have the double hooped ones for sale in grade one for £99.99

Spoke to them today about getting one when I placed my order for a berghaus cyclops, so I'm wondering if anyone's used them and what they thought about them.

Luke

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I dont really see point in them considering they way more then most decent 1 man tents and have less room.

I suppose a plus is that you can be more concealed and maybe they pack/unpack more quickly?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Got one from Endys a couple of years ago. I don't use it much now. It's quite heavy being made from military goretex. Strangely it takes the same amount of time as a tent to pitch. There is no room to do anything inside. Cooking from the bivi has to be done on your stomach. Bear in mind that there is no admin area- you are not going to cook safely in the hooded area. Kit is stored outside. The plus sides are that it has a mosi net that works independently of the door, it's got a very low and small profile, so if you are in the mountains you shouldn't have a problem finding somewhere suitable to pitch, it has a built in groundsheet and it is very wind resistant but only when pitched end on into the wind, otherwise the bivi will be pushed against you. Don't use it with a Downmat 9LW as you end up very close to the roof!

I suppose I'm saying that if you have a specific need for one then they are useful and have a place in you kit inventory, if however you just "fancy" one get a low profile tent instead. A Wildcountry Zephyros 1 is cheaper, but bigger and is great in the wind.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have one, used it a couple of times, mine was from Endicots a few years ago on one of their "Meal deals"

A few photo's

10221696066_ec6cb072a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

10221673805_226ddd16b7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

10221792643_5fe17e11a1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

10221792083_dd2ed486ff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

10221791513_a7d0b15c5f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Didn't really get on with it very well, but my daughter did OK with it...

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have the single hooped Dutch Bivi, and I love it, but then again I am used to living in a Bivi a lot, cause I am still serving. The single hooped dutch bivi has a lot more room than the issue bivi bag, it packs down small and is easy and quick to errect. Yes you do not have as much room as a tent. But as they are designed for low profile camping and quick use they fit that bracket very well. It all dependws on what you need it for.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Thanks for all the advice especially the close up pics wingstoo.

It's deffo something I'm looking at more of something to have a play with than being a mainstay of a load out, the ones on the endicotts site although double poles look different to your bivi wingstoo.

Tinkypete thanks for the size info compared to the Dutch bivi.

Thanks
Luke

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I bought a Rab Ridge Master a while ago, which is roughly the same shape/size as the DPM one Wingstoo posted.

I fancied a hooped Bivy because of the smaller pack size,low weight and i fanced something low profile with a small pitch footprint.

I had planned to buy a Micro Tarp as an optional bit to use when i felt it was needed in bad weather etc, but i honestly cant imagine me using one of these bags without the added space from a tarp and groundsheet.

The first time i took it out, i never had the micro tarp or groundsheet for a porch area. It was raining, i was wet, dirty and tired, and i was honestly considering selling it as soon as i got home the next day. Horrible experience trying to cook in the rain, get changed into clean clothes and stay dry while standing on wet grass in a downpour. (Unless your a contortionist, good luck doing this inside while keeping it relatively clean)

Since then ive been using the Micro tarp plus groundsheet, which does make things considerably better, if still awkard. But by the time i add all the weight of tarp/groundsheet and extra pegs, and the fact its no longer a quick pitch, id be as well carrying a tent anyway. Of which many are quick pitch and just as light as a hooped bivy.

Another problem i have is condensation. I do get very little, hardly noticeable (with the door open a bit all night) but because the bivy is so small inside, any movement at all and my sleeping bag touches the walls, resulting in a wet bag overnight.

I had bought it for a week long trip in November, over my 3kg Vango tent, but tbh i am just going to suffer the weight of the Vango for the benefits of a bigger living space to make every task so much easier. And i also dont fancy a wet bag for a week

I will still use the Bivy for Summer Munro bagging trips, but im still considering getting rid of it and going for a lightweight tent instead.

The worst part about all of this?
I posted a thread on here before i bought the Ridge Master, and got told pretty much all of this :eek:

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have a RAB Ridge Raider and I really like it. I often use it like a normal bedroll/bivvy without the pole but I like being able to use the pole for versatility.

Hope this helps.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Thanks for all the advice especially the close up pics wingstoo.

It's deffo something I'm looking at more of something to have a play with than being a mainstay of a load out, the ones on the endicotts site although double poles look different to your bivi wingstoo.

Tinkypete thanks for the size info compared to the Dutch bivi.

Thanks
Luke

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...hooped-bivi-m-v-p-d-p-m--1779-detail?Itemid=0

Mine is the Bivvy, the other on endicotts is a tunnel tent...

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Not quite what u were asking but I use a snugpak stratosphere bivi" which I love.
As per tinkypetes comment there is bugger all admin or storage area but a very small tarp solves that issue, for me anyway, and helps me keep my pack size nice and compact.

Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE