anyone got / tried one of these ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've not got one, but I imagine that it folds down really compact because it's really small, the way they do the pics is so misleading, I've got a few things like this before and they arrive and it's a bit of a shock how small they are. I suppose it's about 16cm to a side so that gives you an idea, but that will be at it's widest point, so if there's a hing sticking out that will be part of the width etc...

At that price though it might be worth a punt just in case it's good enough for what you want... If you do get it, let us know ;)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Think the chap who goes as English Woodsman on YouTube did a review on this, not sure though and cant check at present.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Lixada stove

I'm not sure about the one you mention but this one is compact but big enough to kick out a decent heat and have plenty of air flow. I've got 2 that are smaller but they struggle with air and heat.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I reckon his mod to the ash bed is worth considering. Looking at the outward folding door, and what looks like a grill/oven affair, it isn’t either and that bit is just for the wood feed so your firewood can be fed in and doesn’t drop out.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
There is also the fire trough - UK made,useable with wood/charcoal,trangias & gas burners.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I got one of the ones the OP mentions, its bigger than the Firebox / Bushbox XL but not as well designed. The holes in the grate are too big smaller colas fall through and you lose their heat. You need to put some smaller disameter mesh in there above the main grate and then I also recommend using larger chunks of wood, sweedish fire torch style. I had about an hours worth of cooking heat using that method. It is quite flimsy though and will buckle under the heat and then not stand straight, the metal is very thing compared to a Firebox / Bushbox, but it does the job.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Depending on how quick you want it, or whether you want to risk it etc, I've seen them for sale from China on wish and/or aliexpress... absolutely no idea whether there is differing quality compared to the amazon one, but given I've found a lot of Chinese mass produced less than good stuff, being sold on amazon recently, it might be one in the same.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
If it looks the same it likely is the same one. How many companies actually produce goods these days? It's a handful of producers and other companies buy an badge them before reselling.

This particular stove only came not long ago, I think I was one of the first to spot it and buy it from China. At the 2019 Bushcraft show I saw one stand selling it and they wanted £50 where I got it for £15. Now everyone seems to be selling it.

Packed down it's still 3 cm thick, not like the Firebox/Bushbox variety's which fold down almost flat.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It's cheap and it will fall to bits because the pins won't stay in the hinges that long so you may need to do a field repair at some stage, but yeah it will be ok for the price. I have a pocket sized stove and it does the the job albeit with the pins not being very secure.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Depending on how quick you want it, or whether you want to risk it etc, I've seen them for sale from China on wish and/or aliexpress... absolutely no idea whether there is differing quality compared to the amazon one, but given I've found a lot of Chinese mass produced less than good stuff, being sold on amazon recently, it might be one in the same.
If it looks the same it likely is the same one. How many companies actually produce goods these days? It's a handful of producers and other companies buy an badge them before reselling.

This particular stove only came not long ago, I think I was one of the first to spot it and buy it from China. At the 2019 Bushcraft show I saw one stand selling it and they wanted £50 where I got it for £15. Now everyone seems to be selling it.

Packed down it's still 3 cm thick, not like the Firebox/Bushbox variety's which fold down almost flat.

It’ll be exactly the same, and probably from the same factory. This is how business works. Design a product, invest time and money in finding a way of producing it cheaply and to a good standard of quality. This is usually in China or Taiwan who have had decades to get the factories that used to produce the cheap rubbish producing reasonable to excellent quality depending on the customers outlay and requirements. Anyone with one of the Byrd range Spydercos will know the quality is excellent. Sal had to work very hard to make that happen, even visiting the factories and sending stuff back if it didn’t meet his expectations.

Once happy, I think the customer has license for a period of time, this is when you saw the stoves at £50, the customer needs to recoup his costs quickly before the idea is stolen. Usually after an elapsed time the product can be rebranded and sold by anyone who fancies it. That’ll be Sanrenmu, Ganzo, Lixada, etc. I had dealings with Mik, inventor of Emberlit stoves a few years ago and now see his slightly altered and redesigned stoves everywhere. At the time that slotted flat pack design was pretty new and he refined it with bottom feed and even a lighter Ti option. It cost him a fair bit, but he couldn’t protect the design.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Don't get me wrong, I do understand the nuances of the design and manufacturing world, it's just China has been known for its blatant copies regardless of patents. Then there is the typical practice of a blatantly copied and pasted photo of "the product" which bears little to no resemblance to the actual product..

I just meant that it might be exactly the same in the manner suggested, but if you're not in a hurry then at the risk of it being utterly ****, you could take a punt at their £4 Inc postage adverts...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Don't get me wrong, I do understand the nuances of the design and manufacturing world, it's just China has been known for its blatant copies regardless of patents. Then there is the typical practice of a blatantly copied and pasted photo of "the product" which bears little to no resemblance to the actual product..

I just meant that it might be exactly the same in the manner suggested, but if you're not in a hurry then at the risk of it being utterly ****, you could take a punt at their £4 Inc postage adverts...

Totally agree, there are plenty of blatant counterfeits out of China, there is little recognition or regard for US or European patents. What I consider to be underhand is to brand a copy with the name of the original designer and sell it as such. We’ve all seen the counterfeit Benchmade and Spyderco knives, and that’s not on. Other than that, Chinese business doesn’t really acknowledge owning a design. A few changes, or the same product repackaged as Tatonka, Tomshoo, Lixada, Firemaple, Alpkit is just the norm, and like you say, they are probably exactly the same. My guess is from the same factory.

I see no point, from a business point of view, for anyone to set up the tooling for the manufacture of a copy of this stove. But I do see the financial opportunity, particularly at a bushcraft show where people will gladly part with a bit of cash on a day out and trying your luck at £50 a pop.

The charlatan Tim Noble has been selling cheap rubbish Damascus bushie knives at bushcraft shows and country fairs for years. Advertised as handmade but made in Pakistan from old pot steel and costing him next to nothing. And they sell like wooden reindeer at a Christmas fair. :D

Caveat Emptor

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
The charlatan Tim Noble has been selling cheap rubbish Damascus bushie knives at bushcraft shows and country fairs for years. Advertised as handmade but made in Pakistan from old pot steel and costing him next to nothing. And they sell like wooden reindeer at a Christmas fair. :D

Caveat Emptor

Thats well worth being aware of. Thanks for that!

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland

you have no proof of this except Martyns ( bb owner / ayatollah / black mod ) say so.

i thought better of you Rich.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
you have no proof of this except Martyns ( bb owner / ayatollah / black mod ) say so.

i thought better of you Rich.

No, I thought better if you Robbi, chucking around defamatory comments. I’ll not defend Martyn but I’ll take your bait and press a button called Google. There’s been plenty about Noble over the years, even here, changing of names to aliases, and many other people who called him on it. Plus some real life reviews and also people from Pakistan who made similar knives joining BB to sell them. One was offered as a passaround and it was terrible. Don’t try and call me on it, not everything was on the front page and it wasn’t just on BB.

Last edited:
Reactions: chimpy leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE