Hi all has anyone got or tried one of these in the field ? Wood Jewel Survival Knife With Firesteel - 4.13" Carbon Steel Blade £80 is it worth it ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silverpac64

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
biddulph moor
Hi all has anyone got or tried one of these in the field ? Wood Jewel Survival Knife With Firesteel - 4.13" Carbon Steel Blade £80 is it worth it ? fancy the end of blade striker curve ,and got to be scandi grind, want a treat for me birthday .

Last edited:

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have the smaller blade version that my wife bought me. Its nice and I would not sell it, but not worth the price.

For me a sharp 90 degree spine would be better.

Reactions: silverpac64

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
any recommendations in that price range ?
Depends on what you are looking for?

Lionsteel is a brilliant brand and has pretty much something for everyone that has a cutlery interest.

For value and quality I would look to Manly knives (my wife the comic genius, thinks this is very funny), Realsteel and the enzo/brisa (my Enzo 95 trappers are brilliant).

If going stick tang there is mainly a single brand and that is Helle, if you want to sharpen the spine for a firesteel avoid the laminated blades.

silverpac64

Tenderfoot
Jul 11, 2021
biddulph moor
Depends on what you are looking for?

Lionsteel is a brilliant brand and has pretty much something for everyone that has a cutlery interest.

For value and quality I would look to Manly knives (my wife the comic genius, thinks this is very funny), Realsteel and the enzo/brisa (my Enzo 95 trappers are brilliant).

If going stick tang there is mainly a single brand and that is Helle, if you want to sharpen the spine for a firesteel avoid the laminated blades.
I want a blade that will quarter wood , do feather sticks , take a ferro rod , skin a rabbit and not have the edge roll . and not cost an arm and a leg and be scandi grind as i like that and full tang and still be able to carve a spoon etc .

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Have a look at a Mora Garberg if you haven't already.

The Wood Jewel knives used to be as cheap as chips a few years ago, I have a few of various sizes. The ones where the stick tang protrudes from the handle are very sturdy but I have the large leuku with a hidden tang and the handle came loose. The prices have got a bit crazy for what they are, considering £90 is well into full tang territory. You could also look at some of Joker's offerings or the Condor Bushlore. I like a Nessmuk because the hump on the blade is great for scraping animal skins or birch bark without fear of the tip digging in. Take a look at the Brisa Nessmuk.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol

This is for wood processing, including carving

And this is for fire lighting and food and game preparations.

£60 in total.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Or this combination as it would give you a larger firesteel. You might find the one on Eldris small, especially if you have large hands and wears gloves most of the time.

£71 in total

Edsmate

Oct 31, 2021
Dorset
Don't have one so can't review but maybe consider the condor wayfinder? I had the bushlore years ago loved the feel but the steel was a bit soft for my liking, the wayfinder has similar specs but is 1095 instead if 1075 and it has the bow drill divet in the handle scales, sounds like it would cover your needs at about your price range.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I want a blade that will quarter wood , do feather sticks , take a ferro rod , skin a rabbit and not have the edge roll . and not cost an arm and a leg and be scandi grind as i like that and full tang and still be able to carve a spoon etc .
So did you get a knife in the end? I just bought one of these Tomaszewski blades, to put a handle on. It is a very strong carbon steel, mine came blunt, but has sharpened up brilliantly, only used it once and the edge holding that razor edge well.

Pictures to follow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE