Another coffee scoop - sorry!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Seeing as I had so much fun yesterday making my little birch coffee scoop I decided to try another with a slightly different design today.

Bowl cut in with a forstner bit then refined down with a saw, mocotaugan and knife.

I've only had my mocotaugan a month or so and it's fast becoming one of my favourite roughing out tools, all I can say well done Mr Orford it's a stunning bit of workmanship and cuts like a dream.

Final finish was almond oil followed by oil and beeswax mixture and buffed to a slight shine, entirely by accident it is the perfect size for an espresso with one scoop or 2 for a proper cup.

I even remembered to take some photos of the process which makes a change for me.

ea1a55a7f9c1d800696650592e3b4015.jpg

bd6c75f7cd37adf273bf0f9a6ffdab83.jpg

7b7ffbc308b4653c9f13b57a746c3948.jpg

187ad6b3c7010dfd767599a6fa560f53.jpg

114fb48d0367a3c5afc93282f19d3532.jpg

aec0637f66a65cd82a1fa0b5845a5bea.jpg

Cheers for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Never any need to apologise for posting work here, that's the whole point, eh?

Nice work on the scoops; due to really bad arthritis in my hands I'm thinking that the bulk of my future hollowing work will be done with Forstner bits; no shame in that, methinks.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I agree, there no shame in hogging out waste wood with a Forstner bit. You could have shaped the entire spoon with a band saw.

With Forstner bits, I stop at least 1/4" shallow of the design depth and carve down the bottom with a PacNW crooked knife.
There's a bit of crushed wood ahead of the point of a Forstner, lots of work to make that disappear.
Multiple holes with the Forstner, knock away the webbing and carve a serving dish.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Never any need to apologise for posting work here, that's the whole point, eh?

Nice work on the scoops; due to really bad arthritis in my hands I'm thinking that the bulk of my future hollowing work will be done with Forstner bits; no shame in that, methinks.

Absolutely not no shame even without arthritis, I started carving partly to try and experience the traditional way of doing things (as far possible with modern hand tools) and still do when I try making something for the first time.
I still do most things by hand whether it's with saw, axe, knife etc... but there are certain things like boring holes and my nemesis, sanding, where I will happily break out a drill or other power tool.

Interestingly I think lots of us like to use, and to a small degree keep alive, these types of traditional skills that are no longer needed in mainstream society but the funny part is that, IMO, the woodcrafters of old would have happily made use of something that made the job quicker, easier etc... were they available and not condemned as witchcraft 😉

I think most of us, myself included, romanticise traditional craftsmen - I can't count the times I have wanted to throw it all in and make a living carving spoons in the wilderness - but like most things I suspect the novelty soon wears off when I pastime becomes a job with the requisite deadlines and quotas.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Nice job one again. Inspirational too - well, it's got me wanting to have a go anyway, so thanks!

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Cheers Dave, I can highly recommend giving it a bash, very similar to spoons with a few little twists but just as satisfying in the end.
Plus you get a nice functional thing to use afterwards.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Inlays. A shaped bit of iridescent marine shell. A freshwater pearl. Drilled out for the shank, a copper rivet such as is used in horse tack.
A pile of brass dust from a key cutting machine, stabilized with CA glue. Colored glass. Semiprecious gem stone.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Take a roasted coffee bean, infuse it with Superglue or similar.

Or carve one.

Lots of cool stuff can be done! As you are not going to wash it ( I assume) you have a huge freedom in materials.

Had you lived here you could have made an inlay from Queen Conch. Robson V has some good ideas!

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Well I'm sitting here mulling over ideas for inlays.
I'm thinking starting out simple with something solid that I can work without too many issues, maybe brass?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How about a mosaic pin? Cheap enough for a small bit of that and I think it looks good if you choose the one that suits your taste.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
How about a mosaic pin? Cheap enough for a small bit of that and I think it looks good if you choose the one that suits your taste.

That's not a bad call, was also thinking it may make sense to pour a thin layer of clear epoxy to tie everything together but not sure if that will be counter productive.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here's an example of both copper and abalone shell inlay. It's about 18" long and 6" wide.
Copper denotes wealth and prosperity in the PacNW. 38 pieces in 4 sizes.
The relief is no more than 3/8" deep.
This is a good example of what's called a "restricted design" where the carving/drawing had to be modified to fit the wood.
Or, according to Bill Holm, this is an "expansive design" which was done to fill all the wood.

I liked my drawing, too lazy to do a glue-up for wood so cut off both the head and tail and moved them to fit.

Picture027_zpsbc402903.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, but no cigar. The "restricted design" is not uncommon at all in PacNW art and carving.
I took my constipations from a drawing that I once saw of a Mangrove Jack on an Australian wine bottle.

May 24, 2016
Staffordshire
I really love this forum. Long time lurker first time poster but just wanted to say its awesome how supportive this community is! I am a member of other forums where people are less willing to share because of the comments people get back.

Back on topic, i think the scoop looks great! Think I'm going to have to give one a go!

Edd

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Love it! What size bit, and how deep? Really into my Coffee at the min.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE