Another bushseax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I thought this knife looks great in the photo, now that I am holding it in my hand ........ I absolutely love it!!!!!! It's better then the photos!

Solidly build and looks so much better in the .... steel. :D

:You_Rock_

Reactions: beowolf762

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
singteck said:
I thought this knife looks great in the photo, now that I am holding it in my hand ........ I absolutely love it!!!!!! It's better then the photos!

Solidly build and looks so much better in the .... steel. :D

:You_Rock_
Thanks mate, I look forward to seeing the sheath you make for it. :)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I traded the laburnum handled one so I had to make another, thought I'd try micarta. It's the first time I've tried a synthetic handle material and it was pleasant to work with. Only trouble was that the scales were only 6mm thick so I had to add thick fibre spacers. I went with dark green/mint green/dark green combo which looks quite nice. This version has a slightly longer handle and slightly shorter blade, also it's convex grind. Still a little more polishing to do, make a sheath and put an edge on it.

2006_1015Image0010.jpg

Reactions: scruff

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks mate. This one is destined for America. I have a mate I owe something in trade to and it's taken me a while to come up with something.
I've got some more steel stock on order so I'm going to make myself another and also one slightly narrower out of 3mmx30mm stock with some olive wood scales, gotta keep experimenting :) .

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Not dyed yet, just finish it. Might have to make another one. The opening is too big on this one and I don't think it's suits the period. Does anyone know what's the style of sheath would be best?

singteck

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Hi Singteck,
Traditional seax sheaths are simple folded leather sheaths. The difference from modern sheaths is that the sheath fold is on the edge side, not the spine side. Also many times the sheath had a bronze or copper stiffener along the edge side.
Large seax were worn across the warriors belly edge up. I think the sheath stiffener also protected the warriors belly in case he fell.
Here is a link to a guy who made a very traditional seax and sheath. Hope this helps you. http://www.jomsb.org/Dirk/Seax/Seax.htm

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've got some brass cutlers rivets that you could cut down.
I like the sheath but did you really have to show the one I made :eek: .

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE