Another bushseax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Snufkin said:
Thanks mate. This one is destined for America. I have a mate I owe something in trade to and it's taken me a while to come up with something.
I've got some more steel stock on order so I'm going to make myself another and also one slightly narrower out of 3mmx30mm stock with some olive wood scales, gotta keep experimenting :) .

Word of caution about the olive wood scales. I once mounted some olive wood in a chuck for turning on a lathe, switched to another project and left it on the chuck in a dry workshop for a few weeks. When i took it off the chuck there was a good deal of visible corrosion to the chuck metal, this is apparently a well known phenomenon. The acid in the wood starts an electrolytic reaction with the metal the same as a battery does.

Make sure to use a reasonably thick inert spacer between the wood and metal and things will be fine.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
nickg said:
Word of caution about the olive wood scales. I once mounted some olive wood in a chuck for turning on a lathe, switched to another project and left it on the chuck in a dry workshop for a few weeks. When i took it off the chuck there was a good deal of visible corrosion to the chuck metal, this is apparently a well known phenomenon. The acid in the wood starts an electrolytic reaction with the metal the same as a battery does.

Make sure to use a reasonably thick inert spacer between the wood and metal and things will be fine.
Thanks mate. I was aware of its corrosive properties, worse than oak as I understand it. I've got some fibre spacer material set aside for it.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Sorry guys :eek: didn't have time to make another sheath for it, so I just finish up that one and get it ready for the passaround.

Here's the pictures

273401984_b8d94c04be.jpg

273401979_711637e6a0.jpg

I thought rather then keep everyone waiting, I better do the pass around first. Watch out for it.

singteck

PS: Thanks Bob :D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Here's mkIII, this one is my user. 3mm 01 tool steel, brown linen micarta scales with black and white fibre spacers, and silver steel pins.

2006_1027Image0003.jpg

2006_1027Image0009.jpg

2006_1027Image0005.jpg

Haven't made a sheath for this one yet.

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Wow!! that's nice. I can't believe how fast you turn out knives. I am still working on my friends knife I promised him for Christmas last year. :rolleyes: :eek:
Oh by the way.... :You_Rock_

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
beowolf762 said:
Wow!! that's nice. I can't believe how fast you turn out knives. I am still working on my friends knife I promised him for Christmas last year. :rolleyes: :eek:
Oh by the way.... :You_Rock_
Thanks man. Just got myself an angle grinder, a heck of alot quicker and easier than hacksawing out blanks :) .

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
beowolf762 said:
What is the height of the blade, from spine to edge at it's tallest point?
Thanks in advance :)
40mm. The blade is 13cm long and the handle is 10cm.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Finally made a sheath for this one that isn't too ugly, inspired by Singteks sheath for the Laburnum one.
2006_1103Image0003.jpg

Working on a new one today too. A stick tang version with a stabilised spalted beech handle with an ivory paper micarta spacer, and I'll fix it with a mosaic pin.
The blade is shaped and all the handle pieces are drilled out, just got to wait until sunday to fire up my forge so I can heat treat and temper the blade. Should have the knife finished by sunday night. This one may be my new user (save me sharpening the other one :lmao: ).

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Stabilised spalted beech, ivory paper micarta and leather spacers with nickel silver bolster. Partial through tang secured with a mosaic pin. It just needs an edge and a sheath, my new carry :).
2006_1105Image0004.jpg

2006_1105Image0005.jpg

Let me know if you're getting bored yet, I'll stop if you want.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Ta. I really tried to keep this one tidy, cleaned up all my tool marks and such like. Of course it won't stay like this for too long once I start using it but it looks pretty in the pictures :) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE