Animal Dangers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Am I right in thinking that statistically the most dangerous place to be is in your own bed......reason: more people die peacefully in their own bed than anywhere else.

Yep thats about as logical as "most fatal accidents occur whilst the subject was breathing, its therefore dangerous to breathe" :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yep thats about as logical as "most fatal accidents occur whilst the subject was breathing, its therefore dangerous to breathe" :)

Can't really answer that......going slightly purple now......trying to only take one breath for every 10 normal breaths to lower my risk...then found I was cheating by taking one bigger breath (how does short breath to long breath variation effect risk/outcome?).....trying to take 1 short breath to 15 normal breaths now to further lower my risk.......I must be safer now....I feel safer now....I'm feeling faint now too......safe from fatal accidents but heart pumping like a tomtom......have to go now, tunnel vision starting..... ;)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would concur that the biggest threat is Homo Sapiens but that is because the "Sapiens" part has been much overestimated in my experience.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The only creatures that have managed to draw blood on me so far other than my own species have been clegs, other peoples dogs and my own cats. Of them all it has been the clegs that have been the nastiest.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Precisely so - but people - even well qualified in their own field - really do not understand risk well.

A while ago someone published the statistics that a form of medical treatment tripled the incidence of a type of cancer. People started stopping this medical treatment immediately.

What was not made clear was the treatment tripled the risk from roughly one in a million to roughly three in a million. It also vastly lowered far more probable risks.

Three times naff all is still naff all. But when you say "tripling the risk" you invite an emotional response not a logical response.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Am I right in thinking that statistically the most dangerous place to be is in your own bed......reason: more people die peacefully in their own bed than anywhere else. As a young single man many moons ago that statistic terrified me....and I therefore slept in nice girls beds just as much as possible.....for safety's sake you understand ;) lol

I have (or had) this T-Shirt:

http://www.stonerconnection.com/TFEELSAFEWCOP.jpg

Actually no. Home cooking is more likely to polish me off.

I have a friend still on active duty with this sticker:

armycooks.jpg

Last edited:

xylaria

Most people who are murdered are killed by a spouse or close family member.

You just provided motive.

Again.
When my children were smaller and they expressed fears about bogey men or jumped at barn owl screams, I would reassure them with the fact that according to statistics I was the person most likely to murder them. They didnt complain any more.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
When my children were smaller and they expressed fears about bogey men or jumped at barn owl screams, I would reassure them with the fact that according to statistics I was the person most likely to murder them. They didnt complain any more.
You are my kind've mom!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

:eek: That made me chuckle.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Scared the bejeesus outta me. I'm thinking of getting a seperate bedroom and putting locks on the door. Statistically, I'm probably already dead, even without the cooking.

Cottage-Pie-100x100.jpg
+ + =
grim_reaper.jpg

Dead man walking. well.... sitting.

Last edited:
Europe is massive and if you take into account how much of Eastern Europe is forested the dangers are unlimited.
Forget all the animals covered in fur, its the spiders , snakes and microscopic ones that will most likely get you....discounting humans of course.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Spiders and snakes? Not really. The most dangerous European snake is the Adder, and the most dangerous spider is a Black Widow. Neither are forest dwellers.

I think the fear of humans may be unfounded too?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Europe is massive and if you take into account how much of Eastern Europe is forested the dangers are unlimited.
Forget all the animals covered in fur, its the spiders , snakes and microscopic ones that will most likely get you....discounting humans of course.

microscopic critters yes, if on a longer walk do take care to have all the water purification doo-dads you will need.

In Eastern Europe, ticks and the bad things they carry are your biggest worry, snakes and spiders not so much, there are some but nothing to worry about.

Animals infected with rabies, it can happen that you will come across them, especially in areas nearer to civilisation.

Humans, I have been wandering around Eastern Europe for years, the people are the least of your worries, you'd be hard pressed to find a more generous and curious bunch. Watch the border areas at the edge of Europe though.

The only humans you have to worry about are taxi drivers and some of the folks hanging around the train stations.

I'll say it again though, boars, don't mess with them, learn to recognise their tracks and where they wallow, stay well clear. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE