Animal Dangers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Was having an interesting discussion with a friend about the various threats out there when venturing into the bush in Europe. Obviously the biggest threat we have when out in the wild is Homo Sapiens, But what others might we find in Europe?

Wikipedia suggests the European Wolf ventures as far west as the BeNeLux, with the Brown Bear being found in the Pyrenees, as well as the more rugged parts of central Europe. When I first read this, my first thought was "Does that mean I need a Bear Canister to hike here?"

But this got me wondering, what if any, are the non-Human animal threats we might come across in
Europe?[1] How big a risk are they? What measures (if any) should we consider when venturing out?

Julia

[1]Taken as the line of the Russian Border to the east, the Med to the south, Atlantic coasts to the west, and Arctic Ocean to the north.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Seoanne's Viper
Asp
Orsini's Viper
Lataste's Viper
Nose-Horned Viper
Ottoman Viper
Milos Viper

Eep!

What level of threat do they present? Where are they likely to be found? Should I worry about one crawling into my bivvi bag? If bitten, is it survivable?

Julia

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Don't worry about them when sleeping. Just don't step on one. Bites can be nasty and the further South you go, the more dangerous the snake. Unlikely you'll even see one though, let alone get bitten.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of course, but are they likely to savage you in your bivvi bag when camping in the Black Forest?

Julia

Bite you? Nope.

Urinate on your food prep kit. your pack, your clothes and thereby give you leptospirosis? Very good chance indeed. Its statistically inevitable they will be in and around your camp.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Bite you? Nope.

Urinate on your food prep kit. your pack, your clothes and thereby give you leptospirosis? Very good chance indeed. Its statistically inevitable they will be in and around your camp.

Between the two of us, we make camping seem like so much fun :lmao:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Don't worry about them when sleeping. Just don't step on one. Bites can be nasty and the further South you go, the more dangerous the snake. Unlikely you'll even see one though, let alone get bitten.

Thank **** for that. I've never seen an Adder when hiking in the UK, despite frequenting (and growing up) in an area where they are known to be common. Will hope never to see the snakes you list.

Bite you? Nope.

Ah, hadn't thought of that one. How do you prevent this? and how do you know if rats have been crawling over your kit while you sleep?

Camping last weekend, we were sat by the fire chatting when we heard rustling behind us. We thought it was a kid or human having a stumble through the undergrowth. I pulled out the LED Lenser P7.2, and shone it in the direction of the noise, and came face to face with a badger, which seemed somewhat confused that the sun had just been turned on. It snuffled about and wandered off. First time I've seen a badger this close in the wild.

Julia

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Life out there should have some risk, it forces a person to keep their wits about them at all times... if it was all sterile and without risk, i think much of the enjoyment would be lost.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thank **** for that. I've never seen an Adder when hiking in the UK, despite frequenting (and growing up) in an area where they are known to be common. Will hope never to see the snakes you list.

Ah, hadn't thought of that one. How do you prevent this? and how do you know if rats have been crawling over your kit while you sleep?

Camping last weekend, we were sat by the fire chatting when we heard rustling behind us. We thought it was a kid or human having a stumble through the undergrowth. I pulled out the LED Lenser P7.2, and shone it in the direction of the noise, and came face to face with a badger, which seemed somewhat confused that the sun had just been turned on. It snuffled about and wandered off. First time I've seen a badger this close in the wild.

Julia

Badgers sound like drunken teenagers stumbling through the woods sometimes :lmao:

Life out there should have some risk, it forces a person to keep their wits about them at all times... if it was all sterile and without risk, i think much of the enjoyment would be lost.

Indeedy.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

You won't know unless you find droppings. But it can be there already. Just be hygienic and don't leave eating utensils and things you drink and eat from lying around.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Same way you avoid it in your kitchen. Keep your kit clean, don't leave food scraps about, wash up your pans immediately after use and put them away.

Wash your hands before eating - always

Its amazing how many people think hygiene doesn't matter outdoors. It does. Those stuff sacks many people use for the pans make a great physical barrier to dirt and disease.

Keep it clean, get it hot, wash it well.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

Of course. Adventure without risk is Disney land[1]. However, it would be irresponsible to venture into the bush without making a reasonable assessment of the risks. You don't venture out without knowing where you can find water. So why should you venture out without knowing the other dangers?

If you know the risks, you can take measures to mitigate them. I.e. Bear Canisters in the US, a rifle in Polar bear country, Someone who runs slower than you in lion country... etc...

Julia

[1] Generation X - Douglas Coupland

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
To be fair DisneyLand scares the bejeesus outta me. Especially those costumed characters that attack you every few feet you walk. They're up to something, and it can't be good.

You'll have a great time. Common sense, knowledge of the dangers and awareness to them are the best forms of protection.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
You'll have a great time. Common sense, knowledge of the dangers and awareness to them are the best forms of protection.

Hence this thread. My knowledge and understanding of the animal dangers outside of the UK are small. Until this evening I wasn't aware there were Wolves in the Netherlands.

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be fair DisneyLand scares the bejeesus outta me. Especially those costumed characters that attack you every few feet you walk. They're up to something, and it can't be good.......

Disney has it's on police force simply because the parks attract pedophiles.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know rabies is supposed more or less absent from the UK (I have my suspicions about rats entering aboard ships though) But how prevalent is it on the continent?

I also believe I read somewhere that domestic cows kill more people every year than wild animals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE