An outdoor wedding?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JaneCarter

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
London
What do you think of outdoor wedding? My elder sister will hold her wedding ceremony in March. Now, she is making preparation for it, i think outdoor wedding is very wonderful, so i suggest her wedding can hold outdoors. Do you have other ideas ?
imgres

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi,

Where abouts is your sister planning to get married, 'cause march in the UK is a bit risky weather wise..........................'though the wedding pics would look original with everyone in their waterproofs.;)
I think it's a great idea to have an outdoor wedding...........but:) you'd need an army of volunteers to set everything up & another to clear away after.:)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi,

Where abouts is your sister planning to get married, 'cause march in the UK is a bit risky weather wise..........................'though the wedding pics would look original with everyone in their waterproofs.;)
I think it's a great idea to have an outdoor wedding...........but:) you'd need an army of volunteers to set everything up & another to clear away after.:)

a german army poncho for the bride with white plastic ribbons, well I would get married in it.

In britain some sort of nice shelter would be a good idea, tipis geodomes or yurts are beautiful spaces and can be hired. The oldest and youngest guest need to be comfortable.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Me and the missus looked into this and to be "officially" married it seemed it had to take place in a building which was licensed.
Yes you can have a ceremony/blessing outside anywhere you like but the deed its self had to be done indoors :(

Dont know if this has changed recently.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I'm getting married next year, doing something similar. We've hired a field with a fantastic view of Snowdonia, booked a couple of portaloos and a small marquee. We've invited everyone we know to come and camp with us for the weekend. I'll put up some massive tarps for extra shelter too. We're going to nip off for an hour and deal with the paperwork at the registry office, then that evening we have an acoustic folk band, a fire and a hog roast. Neither of us fancies a day standing around drinking in formal clothes after making vows to a deity neither of us believes in so it seems a much better option for us. It's a lot cheaper than a conventional do too. It's at the end of June mind, March could be more risky weather wise. When I looked at alternative venues they were only interested in hosting the whole shebang, and getting as much cash out of us as possible. We decided that signing the paperwork is just a formality and really the least significant part of the day so where it took place was fairly irrelevant. The significant part as far as we're concerned will be the 2 day celebration around a camp fire with friends and family, with a fantastic view.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
My morris team (I'm the squeezebox player) were hired for a wedding at Skenfrith Castle last year. The actual ceremony was at the little church next door and then they all moved to the castle and field next to the river for the "reception".

My team committed morris dancing followed by music and song and escapology and balloon modelling (don't ask!). It was a great afternoon and early evening before we all retired to the pub as it was getting colder. Mind you, this was summer and not March!

Gareth

What do you think of outdoor wedding? My elder sister will hold her wedding ceremony in March. Now, she is making preparation for it, i think outdoor wedding is very wonderful, so i suggest her wedding can hold outdoors. Do you have other ideas ?
imgres

Go for it from me! I was married in an Autumnal wood in November. The "legal bit" was done in a registry office type arrangement as one other poster has mentioned, but the "real" joining took place outside under a beauty of a Birch tree which we tied a red ribbon around. Lifetimes worth of ancestors were there in full force enjoying the party so I guess you could say it had a pretty huge turnout. ;)

Edit: Check out Westonbirt Arboretum for a venue that should cover a few ideas......hc

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
We got married outside in the valley of fire Las Vegas. It was great getting maried outside, it just felt right for us, and yes the weather was nice.

Mark

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
We planned an outdoor wedding, but thought we'd better have a plan B in case the weather came in - we ended up with mostly plan B. Lovely day it was too, but save yourself the stress of relying on the British climate.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Friends of mine had an outdoor wedding. They did it in Scotland as apparently there it is the person that has to be licensed to officiate not the venue so it can be held anywhere. They hired a big cottage on an estate in the hills that we all stayed in and the service was held on the hillside near the cottage (plan B was to have it in the main lounge of the cottage) and we all had thick wool cloaks so were well protected from the weather if it was only slightly inclement. As it was it was dry with just enough breeze to ensure that there wasn't a midge to be found. The views were stunning and it made the whole thing absolutely magical.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We got married outside in the valley of fire Las Vegas. It was great getting maried outside, it just felt right for us, and yes the weather was nice.

Mark

Another vote for the Las Vegas area. Not just the Valley of Fire to choose from but also many sites on Lake Mead or my favorite would be the lodge on Mount Charleston; they have a great outdoor ara overlooking the mountainside (Beautiful Spring, Summer, or Fall weather or snow covered Winters) as well as cabins or lodge rooms for the honeymoon. (I have no connection to the lodge) www.[B]mtcharlestonlodge.com[/B]

Also loads of outdoor stuff to do in the area.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Friends of mine had an outdoor wedding. They did it in Scotland as apparently there it is the person that has to be licensed to officiate not the venue so it can be held anywhere...

I'm not sure but I think this is the norm in most countries.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yeah we got married on the Isle of Skye. Our marriage location on the wedding certificate is an OS grid reference!

Slightly different in Scotland, as long as the location isn't moving (like a train) you can get married anywhere. As we couldn't find a christian to marry us we found a lovely pagan lass who could do all the legal stuff and considering we are not religious in anyway it worked out a lot better.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
We have a family friend who has trained to become a 'Celebrant'. This is an alternative to a man/woman of the christian church conducting a wedding ceremony.
Our friend will also speak at funerals if that is what the family require. She is quite busy with this type of work and I would imagine that whatever the service, the day would be memorable and fun.
I know that she spends quite a lot of time with the couples who are getting married as the ceremony is tailored to their 'day'. She is going 'in character' as this is what she used to do before and was very good at....acting, but now with a young family, too stressful!

We've hosted a 'marquee in a grass field wedding' in the past. The caterers had the water supply piped from a nearby trough for their use and we mowed an area for the cars. The only thing I would request again would be not to have those plastic sprinkles (little stars & moons about one cm in diameter) as we were worried for the sheep. I spent a long time picking them up afterwards! Great time had by all though:eek:
Swyn.

Last edited:

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
mrs toilet digger and i are getting hitched in august.
as has been said before, north of the border a venue can be officiated so a registrar can conduct the ceremony but if a minister or celebrant is willing then all the better :)
so for us its a small bay off the solway firth with a humanist conducting a hand tying ceremony followed by fishing and a bbq.
none of the family or friends have been ''invited'' but they can have a grid ref if they really want to.
and if it rains......out will come the matching green ponchos :lmao:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yeah it didn't go exactly to plan for us.

We had hired a boat to take us across to Loch Coruisk where i had proposed. The boat was ours for the day including the small family gathering we had invited.
Unfortunately it coincided with the tail end of hurricane Katrina who had popped over the water to make Scotland really rather damp and unpleasant at the time. So we ended up on the other side of the hills at a location that could be reached by road. We still looked like Gore-tex ninja's though!
We did the legal stuff there ( i do, she does, we are <kiss> back to the car quickly!) then had everyone back to the cottage we were staying in for the "blessing" or the ceremony we were planning to have but weren't going to do in 70mph winds and driving rain!

Still a great day!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE