An old tyre, an aid to log splitting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I've been using that method for a few years now. Never had any problems, keeps the sticks in place and saves my back by not having to bend to pick them up all the time :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've never used the method but seen it around for some time now. Think its an inspired idea personally. Can't see why its more dangerous than other methods though. What is it that concerns you about it? :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The general worry is that if you miss the wood (Somebody may be that bad) then the axe is going to bounce back at you with a fair force potentially.

bearbait

I've never used the method but seen it around for some time now. Think its an inspired idea personally. Can't see why its more dangerous than other methods though. What is it that concerns you about it? :)

It just seems to me that waving a heavy sharp thing (axe or splitting maul) with some force around or in proximity to a resilient bouncy thing (tyre) containing lumps of wood could have some unwelcome repercussions. Guess my view of danger in this scenario differs from the majority. Still, shan't try it, but thanks for the comments...

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
as I have said before, a tyre has a steel rim in the rubber to keep it stiff. Cut it out or if you clip it you'll be annoyed at what it does to your axe .
Bit of an old thread, I know but this is the only reference I've found to the dangers of the steel beads in the rim despite all the recommendations in books and across the web for this otherwise splendid technique.
I noticed the edge of my maul was looking rather the worse for wear after an extended splitting session but put that down to it been a cheapish maul and some knotty wood. After taking a sizable chip out of my Fiskars splitting axe which I know to have an excellent edge, the penny dropped. The beads are now removed.
I'm just curious to know how many have also cut out the beads or if not, how have you managed to avoid them, particularly if you fill the tyre with smaller rounds?
Cheers:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE