A test of splitting technique!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Older members on here will remember Cegga. When we moved in here, he gave us a maul as a housewarming present. It's by far the best manual splitter that I've ever used. Check out the grain directions in this log!

Awkward grain in split log by English Countrylife, on Flickr

I'm trying to get in some manual splitting three or four times a week right now - got some nice cedar & turkey oak to work on right now

Firewood sections for splitting by English Countrylife, on Flickr

I reckon that five barrows full of logs is better than gym membership

Split logs by English Countrylife, on Flickr

Anyone else enjoy processing firewood?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Love it! On a cold frosty morning, there's nothing like swinging a big axe onto ash logs:)

But, now, manual splitting aggravates my sciatica and just half a dozen swings will cause me days of pain :(

I've tried changing my technique and my tools but to no avail. So it's the hydraulic splitter I'm afraid.

Reactions: British Red

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Love it! On a cold frosty morning, there's nothing like swinging a big axe onto ash logs:)

But, now, manual splitting aggravates my sciatica and just half a dozen swings will cause me days of pain :(

I've tried changing my technique and my tools but to no avail. So it's the hydraulic splitter I'm afraid.
Me to makes light work, and with dodgy knees and shoulders axe swinging is behind me, still I am lucky enough to have access to a splitter whenever I need at a family place. Still cutting it all up and manhandling it all around the place is work out enough!
5EB43063-E85E-4ED7-8726-EC49D9ECA341.jpeg

FD2D6FA9-0A7D-4449-AD7C-9BA5D3DC4BA5.jpeg

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me to makes light work, and with dodgy knees and shoulders axe swinging is behind me, still I am lucky enough to have access to a splitter whenever I need at a family place. Still cutting it all up and manhandling it all around the place is work out enough!
View attachment 78715
I have an 11 tonne vertical splitter. Awesome thing - we've processed over 75 cubic metres this year

11 ton splitter by English Countrylife, on Flickr

That said I do enjoy hand processing. I can't do it for as long but what I can do is a cubic metre at the end of a lot of days. Frankly I need the exercise and I would rather split logs than go to the gym. I know that sounds silly to many people. But I prefer work with a tangible result.

I probably don't fit it in to the modern world.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have an 11 tonne vertical splitter. Awesome thing - we've processed over 75 cubic metres this year

11 ton splitter by English Countrylife, on Flickr

That said I do enjoy hand processing. I can't do it for as long but what I can do is a cubic metre at the end of a lot of days. Frankly I need the exercise and I would rather split logs than go to the gym. I know that sounds silly to many people. But I prefer work with a tangible result.

I probably don't fit it in to the modern world.

That’s a nice splitter!!

I 100% understand and would rather a productive thing like firewood prep (or even a long walk!) to going to the gym, i find it beneficial both physically and mentally - sense of achievement.

People will argue ‘oh but you can get the same at a gym, when you beat your personal best’ but for me I like the fact I can point to a pile of wood, or the dug over veg beds or whatever and said ‘I toiled for that’ - just has more satisfaction to me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE