alternative to knives ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

galavanter

Aug 1, 2011
southwestscotland
Those in power are always bowing to public demand regards banning things ,When i was young nobody batted an eyelid if you were wearing a sheath knife if you were carrying an axe or bow or a catapult because the majority of people were sensible We had every concievable type of knife imagineable .when my children were old enough to have knifes they enjoyed using them up the forest I never had any problems with that i have just made my 6yearold grandson a catapult which i hope he enjoys I did not set out to get anyones back up which I SEEM TO HAVE DONE UNENTIONALLY and I APPOLOGISE FOR THAT,iwas just looking at alternatives

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Setting the law and public perception and all that hulabaloo aside (get off the Daily Mail/anti daily mail band wagon and stop rehashing the anti knife rants that litter the forum already!). Lets just think about the naked question that galavanter, a pretty new member, has asked.

'An alternative to a knife'

Taken IN THE SPIRIT OF BUSHCRAFT that could well mean that you have lost, forgotten or are trying to do without your knife for what ever reason (heck, I have often found that I need a knife but have ventured out with the wrong trousers on and thus no knife!). In that case, an alternative must be sought ;)

If you have the facilit and ability to knap flint, then you can fashion a cutting tool from any ceramic, glass or suitable stone you may come across. Other alternatives would include an axe, a shovel, even broken bone or a spoon. The 'knife alternative' could be all sorts depending on what you need to cut. I've used a stone to abrade though a rope because I had no blade, I've also used string to cut another string when feeding haylage to to horses ('sawing' through the bailing twinie with another piece). Fire can be used to cut a long log into shorter logs, or to cut a piece of antler in two.

There are lots of knife alternatives if you put your mind to it. With regard to taking an alternative to a knife with you in the first place, I think unless it is an edged tool in the first place (or the kit to make such a thing) then you are most likely just making life very difficult for yourself.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Those in power are always bowing to public demand regards banning things ,When i was young nobody batted an eyelid if you were wearing a sheath knife if you were carrying an axe or bow or a catapult because the majority of people were sensible We had every concievable type of knife imagineable .when my children were old enough to have knifes they enjoyed using them up the forest I never had any problems with that i have just made my 6yearold grandson a catapult which i hope he enjoys I did not set out to get anyones back up which I SEEM TO HAVE DONE UNENTIONALLY and I APPOLOGISE FOR THAT,iwas just looking at alternatives

Knives are a very emotive topic on here so when I see someone advocating taking away a legally held right I shudder.

I apologise for calling you a troll, but am leaving the image in the thread otherwise the thread loses continuity.

ATB,

Simon

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I think most of us agree that an appropriate knife carried and used in a way that complies with existing laws is not a problem and I think that there is no need to invent an alternative. Dave Budd's answer is a great one (not the least because it pulls the thread back on-topic) and I'm interested to know what other folks have improvised when they needed to cut something and didn't have a knife. I've certainly 'cut' cordage by burning through it with a lighter, and 'cut' bailer-twine in the way Dave descibes. I've split wood by exploiting an existing crack with a pointy stick, wedge style. But can't think of any others. BUT there must be some more out there, we're a resourceful lot, so lets hear about some more . . .

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think most of us agree that an appropriate knife carried and used in a way that complies with existing laws is not a problem and I think that there is no need to invent an alternative. Dave Budd's answer is a great one (not the least because it pulls the thread back on-topic) and I'm interested to know what other folks have improvised when they needed to cut something and didn't have a knife. I've certainly 'cut' cordage by burning through it with a lighter, and 'cut' bailer-twine in the way Dave descibes. I've split wood by exploiting an existing crack with a pointy stick, wedge style. But can't think of any others. BUT there must be some more out there, we're a resourceful lot, so lets hear about some more . . .

Coke can twisted open will give you a very sharp edge - albeit a weak one. Flint and glass have been coverered. I guess you could burn through thin items using sunlight and a lens on a very hot day, but would take forever. Friction cutting is a technique that can be useful if accuracy isn't an issue. Mussel shells, snail shells etc. all good for prepping veg. Not experimented but guessing you could cut meat with a sharpened shell too.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've split wood by exploiting an existing crack with a pointy stick, wedge style. But can't think of any others. BUT there must be some more out there, we're a resourceful lot, so lets hear about some more . . .

On that note they used to quarry rock by friction drilling some holes, inserting wooden pegs then saturating the wood. The expansion in the wood would cause the rock to crack between the pegs and along natural faults.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=onepage&q=quarrying with wooden pegs&f=false

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
paying a small license fee

Now there's no need to go off the rail's.

All we need to do is follow the correct procedures for everyone to be safe.

Step 1
Method statement...Fill out a method statement stating the intended use of the knife (1 statement foe each knife)
3 copies needed..1 for the police, 1 for the land owner, 1 for self.

Step 2
Work instruction...fill out to explain how the knife will be used (1 instruction foe each knife)

Step 3
Pre Work Method Statement (PWMS) to be filled in each & every time the knife is removed from the sheath (1 statement foe each knife)

This should clear up any worries that you might have, if we follow these simple rules there will be no problem's & we can get on with our hobby.

If your interested, I'm willing to set up a committee to explore the working's of this new system.
Seeing as this is a community site I'll only charge 50% consultancy fees about £200 per day (plus expenses)
I should have the draft proposal ready in about 6 month's, maybe 7, or 8.

This is a serious subject, not to be taken lightly.

:thinkerg:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Decent set of secateurs can be a useful tool and do many of the things a knife does.
Also your just out "Looking for cuttings" and not "Hunting for victims Innit."

No need to foam at the mouth with the thread cos its a good question I think.

Helps if your middle aged and have a garden I suppose but that's me described quite well.
I have a really nice little set made by CK (from when CK made good tools) that's all metal, sharp enough to cut paper and just well made.
As far as I can tell just the same as THESE which are currently on Ebay.
$(KGrHqR,!q4FDm3rluK3BQ5),65e3!~~60_58.JPG

Says Ladies on the advert but if they are the same size as mine they fit in my quite big hands well so I wouldn't worry about that bit.

Last edited:

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
knife laws aside . shell of a snail . wood . flint . glass . a hammered flat nail rubbed on a stone . tin can . all of these have come to my aid when i've been caught without a knife .

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Non-metallic knives have a dubious legality, just to worry everybody some more. Shame they didn't think about flint knapping. The law is an bottom.

indeed if it doesn't show up as a knife on visual inspection and/or xray you'd be in alot of trouble...

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Im curious regards battle reinactment societies do they have a special pass to be able to transport swords pikes and weapons without being challenged bye the forces of darkness
Reenactment societies with Public Liability insurance do not require a valid reason. They are specifically exempt as are theatrical performances and museums.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Setting the law and public perception and all that hulabaloo aside (get off the Daily Mail/anti daily mail band wagon and stop rehashing the anti knife rants that litter the forum already!). Lets just think about the naked question that galavanter, a pretty new member, has asked.

'An alternative to a knife'

Taken IN THE SPIRIT OF BUSHCRAFT that could well mean that you have lost, forgotten or are trying to do without your knife for what ever reason (heck, I have often found that I need a knife but have ventured out with the wrong trousers on and thus no knife!). In that case, an alternative must be sought ;)

If you have the facilit and ability to knap flint, then you can fashion a cutting tool from any ceramic, glass or suitable stone you may come across. Other alternatives would include an axe, a shovel, even broken bone or a spoon. The 'knife alternative' could be all sorts depending on what you need to cut. I've used a stone to abrade though a rope because I had no blade, I've also used string to cut another string when feeding haylage to to horses ('sawing' through the bailing twinie with another piece). Fire can be used to cut a long log into shorter logs, or to cut a piece of antler in two.

There are lots of knife alternatives if you put your mind to it. With regard to taking an alternative to a knife with you in the first place, I think unless it is an edged tool in the first place (or the kit to make such a thing) then you are most likely just making life very difficult for yourself.

Anything but your teeth! Teeth cannot be re-sharpened or replaced which is one other reason pretty much always have a knife on me.
Teeth cost a lot more to repair than any woodlore..

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Anything but your teeth! Teeth cannot be re-sharpened or replaced which is one other reason pretty much always have a knife on me.
Teeth cost a lot more to repair than any woodlore..

I beg to differ. i have at least one replacement tooth (an implant0 and several crowns that I suppose might be considerred rplacements.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I beg to differ. i have at least one replacement tooth (an implant0 and several crowns that I suppose might be considerred rplacements.

Will never be as good as your own gnashers ;)
Implant really? Didn't the rich European aristocracy do this hundreds of years ago where they offered the poor a few quid to have their teeth pulled then simply stuck them in their own mouth? Of-course they all fell out again but there were plenty of poor so plenty more teeth :rolleyes:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Will never be as good as your own gnashers ;)
Implant really? Didn't the rich European aristocracy do this hundreds of years ago where they offered the poor a few quid to have their teeth pulled then simply stuck them in their own mouth? Of-course they all fell out again but there were plenty of poor so plenty more teeth :rolleyes:

LOL. Actually it's a stainless steel post that was implanted and allowed 6 months for the bone to grow around it like the orinal tooth before the crown was placed over the post. It's actually much better than the original tooth. And all 8 front teerh (4 upper and 4 lower) have been crowned; they too are now much better than the originals as the process also straightened them and improved by bite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE