Altberg Warrior Original

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Has anyone had these boots? I was looking at Lowa Mountain GTX but I'd rather a non goretex pair and can't find my size in anything but black.

People say that Lowa are tougher than Altberg but a soft pair of quick drying boots could be just the ticket.

Thanks for thehelp

Richard

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Not had the warrior Richard, but i've had the field & fell(had them re-soled 3 times) & also the peacekeeper & the defender, great boots, as tough a boot as you could want, they take no breaking in. The soles are often an issue, they do an "off road" & "onroad". The skywark hard wearing sole is critisied by some as not being grippy enough, but is an urban sole, for police/military use. The other lightweight sole, will wear down pretty fast if used on the road.
Having had lowa's as well as altbergs & matterhorns, i would say the altberg is better alround boot, the matterhorns are soft are, i found the lowa sole to be very hard & slippy on wet surfaces.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I tried them, and the sneekers, didn't get on with either. The finish didn't seem to be as good as the Lowa's for me. Have you looked at the Lowa Munro, there are some good deals on them at the mo. The sole is the same as on my Lowa Recce's, which i have found to be brilliant both for urban and rural use.....

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just to echo to exactly what Rob said, and to add one little bit.

After ten years' hard graft I had my Alt-Berg Defenders refurbished last year (not just re-soled) and because of the hammer I give them Alt-Berg did the front part of the uppers with a thicker leather for me. They've taken a bit of breaking in because of that.

But I really can't fault the product, and my experience of the service is that it's the best of any product anwhere.

I almost wish I needed another pair of boots so that I could buy a third pair of Alt-Bergs. :)

Aboslutely agree, by the way, on Goretex. It makes my feet howl.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Relatively recently bought a pair of Warrior Aqua. Kind of wish I'd bought Lowa to be honest. They're OK but the Lowas I have are definitely the better built boot. If Altberg weren't a British company I'd definitely have bought the Lowa.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I bought some Lowa Terrano boots, leather lined, non GTX, at the end of summer. Discontinued line I think, as I got a good discount. Best boots I've ever had.

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
I've been trying to size up these 2 companies for a few weeks now and the common word from both sets of fan-boys seems to be that you can't really go wrong with either... between Alt-Berg and Lowa I'd say buy British! :D
Please note that I have no experience with either company, just keeping an eye out as I am also in the market for new boots.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've been trying to size up these 2 companies for a few weeks now and the common word from both sets of fan-boys seems to be that you can't really go wrong with either... between Alt-Berg and Lowa I'd say buy British! :D
Please note that I have no experience with either company, just keeping an eye out as I am also in the market for new boots.

That's correct because you will be happy with with either but you will prefer one make over the other. Try both. You'll know which when you try them on. I've met 100s of people with a mix of these boots and none were ecstatic with both. You'll be an Altberg man or a Lowa man.

http://www.badgerbushcraft.com/kit-...engskosmorning-on-lowa-mountain-boots-gtx.htmHi Dougster,

I've been Lowa Mountain GTX boots for some years now and I swear by them.

I too was not convinced about a Gore-Tex lined boot but use nothing else now. The only brands I use are either Lowa or Danner. I have 2 pairs of Mountain GTX that I use on rotation so they are able to dry full and air - but then I work outdoors most days.

I love the way the Lowa boots can take a real beating and still clean up like new. If it is of interest I wrote a piece about Lowa boot maintenance on our blog http://www.badgerbushcraft.com/kit-...engskosmorning-on-lowa-mountain-boots-gtx.htm

All the best,

Phil.

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I've had the Lowa Mountain GTX which I thought was an excellent (if somewhat heavy) boot.
I think Lowa make 3 models which are basically the same boot with different linings:
The Lowa GTX of course has a Gore-Tex lining.
The Patrol has a Cambrelle (quick drying) lining.
The Supercamp is leather lined and would be my choice if I was in the market for such a thing.
I think I caught a review suggesting the Royal Marines had tested both the Patrol + Supercamp and found the Supercamp actually dries out faster anyway.

Prefer less military brown boots these days...

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Prefer less military brown boots these days...

BAkDwg5CQAEhsXW.jpg

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
I think I caught a review suggesting the Royal Marines had tested both the Patrol + Supercamp and found the Supercamp actually dries out faster anyway..

Looks like you weren't dreaming either Jimmy *thumbs up*

"The Lowa Super Camp is the first choice of members of 3 Commando Brigade RM. According to reports these leather-lined boots, when worn continually for days, dry out quicker after being fully submersed." - http://www.rvops.co.uk/lowa-supercamp-non-gtx-black-rrp-508.html

Last edited:

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
Tried both the Lowa Mountain GTX ( which is what I was after!), and the Altberg warrior boots on recently and the Altbergs felt soooooo much nicer. So I guess you need to do the same to see which suit you best before you buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE