Lundhags Forest Boots - any experiences / feedback?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
Has anyone used Lundhags boots (in particular the Forest version) for long-distance trekking across rough country (Scottish heather, Scandinavian wilderness etc) and while wearing a heavy pack?

I am interested in a pair of cold-wet weather boots but they need to be unlined, unpadded and non-goretex - the Forest boots look good. I know the company has a fine reputation and that these boots used to be issued to Royal Marines etc for arctic use (with good reports), but I would appreciate any feedback about them - "warts-and-all", such as:

1. Are they comfortable to wear in rough terrain and with a heavy pack on?
2. Are they relatively easy to break in?
3. Are they as waterproof as they are reputed to be?
4. Would you recommend a felt boot liner?
5. Are the sizes like regular UK sizes or should I choose a size up or down?
6. Is there a good UK seller where I can try a pair on before purchasing? (I have asked Lundhags about this but they directed me to suppliers in Sweden and Germany)

Thank you!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The Forest ones were my first pair of Lundhags. They set the bar high in terms of comfort and practicality through a wide range of different terrains but, to answer your questions directly:

1. They are comfortable in rough terrain when wearing a heavy pack. I used them on a number of multi-day trips in summer and winter in the Cairngorms and they were excellent.
2. They have a noticeable rocker sole and so you don't have to break them in per se; obviously the more time you spend wearing them and getting your feet used to them, the better.
3. They probably aren't as waterproof as they're claimed to be. When applying your wax/proofing agent, pay close attention to the join between the rubber and the leather. That said, they are more water resistant than most other boots I've tried.
4. I don't know about the felt liners; without them, I have never experienced cold feet, though.
5. I would go up a size. I normally take a 44 but, in Lundhags, I take a 45 and have never regretted it.
6. When looking for a pair in the U.K., I, too, was pushed across to Germany, where I placed my order. This worked absolutely fine, though, now we've left the E.U., I don't know whether you'll be clobbered for duty et al. Currently, there doesn't appear to be a reliable source of Lundhags in the U.K., which is really annoying!

I hope that this helps a little!

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
The Forest ones were my first pair of Lundhags. They set the bar high in terms of comfort and practicality through a wide range of different terrains but, to answer your questions directly:

1. They are comfortable in rough terrain when wearing a heavy pack. I used them on a number of multi-day trips in summer and winter in the Cairngorms and they were excellent.
2. They have a noticeable rocker sole and so you don't have to break them in per se; obviously the more time you spend wearing them and getting your feet used to them, the better.
3. They probably aren't as waterproof as they're claimed to be. When applying your wax/proofing agent, pay close attention to the join between the rubber and the leather. That said, they are more water resistant than most other boots I've tried.
4. I don't know about the felt liners; without them, I have never experienced cold feet, though.
5. I would go up a size. I normally take a 44 but, in Lundhags, I take a 45 and have never regretted it.
6. When looking for a pair in the U.K., I, too, was pushed across to Germany, where I placed my order. This worked absolutely fine, though, now we've left the E.U., I don't know whether you'll be clobbered for duty et al. Currently, there doesn't appear to be a reliable source of Lundhags in the U.K., which is really annoying!

I hope that this helps a little!
Thank you Tiley, Much appreciate your input and good to start on a positive note. I have seen a few previous Lundhags-related threads dated a few years back and there are mixed reports; all are useful though. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Not a problem! I would say, thinking about it, that the felt insoles made by Lundhags are something definitely worth adding for both the cushioning and the warmth.

I'm on my second pair now - a different model whose name I do not remember - and they remain my 'go to' footwear, whether I'm walking my dogs from home or embarking on a longer, more heavily laden outing.

I suppose it is always worth remembering that different boots suit different foot shapes. I suffered horribly because I wanted to wear a particular brand that seemed to be the mutts' at the time; thankfully, I then discovered Lundhags and have never looked back. For me, they work beautifully - I hope they do for you, too.

Reactions: BrewkitAndBasha

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I also have a couple of pairs of Lundhags. a Pair of the Forest and a pair of the Jaure. I really do love them both. I've used the Jaures stalking up in Scotland for a week and only suffered wet feet after standing in a calf deep bog for 15 mins trying not to be spotted. As with all boots, it is best to try them first but, as far as i'm aware no-one in the UK stocks them any more. Nordic Outdoor used to, but i tried some the first time i went to Stockholm them ordered them from Outnorth.
Size wise, i'm a 44 but would definitly go up a size if i wanted to wear 2 pairs of thick socks (i'm ok with 1 thin and 1 thick).
As for the felt liners (as opposed to the felt insoles), i think they are designed more for the boots that already come with them, i'm not sure how many sizes you would have to go up for them to fit.
I've found them supremely comfortable on long hikes in rough terrain, good wool socks help.
As Tiley said, they do need alot care to keep them waterproof, but that could be said for any boot.
Lundhags are an amazing company to deal with, very helpful and i'm sure if you contacted them directly, they could help you further.

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
I also have a couple of pairs of Lundhags. a Pair of the Forest and a pair of the Jaure. I really do love them both. I've used the Jaures stalking up in Scotland for a week and only suffered wet feet after standing in a calf deep bog for 15 mins trying not to be spotted. As with all boots, it is best to try them first but, as far as i'm aware no-one in the UK stocks them any more. Nordic Outdoor used to, but i tried some the first time i went to Stockholm them ordered them from Outnorth.
Size wise, i'm a 44 but would definitly go up a size if i wanted to wear 2 pairs of thick socks (i'm ok with 1 thin and 1 thick).
As for the felt liners (as opposed to the felt insoles), i think they are designed more for the boots that already come with them, i'm not sure how many sizes you would have to go up for them to fit.
I've found them supremely comfortable on long hikes in rough terrain, good wool socks help.
As Tiley said, they do need alot care to keep them waterproof, but that could be said for any boot.
Lundhags are an amazing company to deal with, very helpful and i'm sure if you contacted them directly, they could help you further.
Thank you Baggins, for more positive and useful information especially on the sizing. I will contact Lundhags again about the sizing and felt inners/insoles - wide boots suit me well but with one foot typically a bit longer than the other, the length-fitting could be a concern. Whenever I have "up-sized" in the past I have regretted it (clomping around the hills in Crusty the Clown's long footwear), but I hear what you are saying. Perhaps I will have to visit Sweden to try them on before making the investment and combine a canoeing trip too. The waterproofing level and care sounds fine to me. I never expect a boot to remain completely dry and the simple design will allow it to dry faster than lined and padded winter boots.
Best foot forward...

Super supportive
yes the parts that need to flex are differ leather and the design works well
very impressive
not tried one
roughly analogous to Nike
6. Is there a good UK seller where I can try a pair on before purchasing? (I have asked Lundhags about this but they directed me to suppliers in Sweden and Germany)
I bought mine from nordic outdoor in Edinburgh

I would add that they are heavy. I wore mine to Midnight Sun in ‘19 and wont be wearing them in ‘22. If you’re carrying a very light load across rough ground in the cairngorms they are perfect, offering lots of protection for your ankles and very waterproof . If the going is easier and the load heavier, I’m going to be wearing something much lighter. 1kg off your feet is worth 3kg off your pack.

Last edited:

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
When I was in the RAF Regiment I had a pair and did some serious survival training up in Norway Scotland Wales and lots of other wet and cold places in the world and they never let me down.
definitely go up a size and if treated regularly with the Lundhag balm (which smells of bonfires) they will be very waterproof the only time my feet got wet was when water went over the top.
Loads of support when carrying heavy weight.
My go to boot for any cold wet climate.

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
Super supportive
yes the parts that need to flex are differ leather and the design works well
very impressive
not tried one
roughly analogous to Nike
I bought mine from nordic outdoor in Edinburgh

I would add that they are heavy. I wore mine to Midnight Sun in ‘19 and wont be wearing them in ‘22. If you’re carrying a very light load across rough ground in the cairngorms they are perfect, offering lots of protection for your ankles and very waterproof . If the going is easier and the load heavier, I’m going to be wearing something much lighter. 1kg off your feet is worth 3kg off your pack.
Great, many thanks for this - I shall contact Nordic Outdoor and see if they can help, although my UK/Scandi trip plans must sadly wait till next year. Noted re. the weight on foot/pack.

Reactions: suburban bushwacker

BrewkitAndBasha

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2021
Far East
When I was in the RAF Regiment I had a pair and did some serious survival training up in Norway Scotland Wales and lots of other wet and cold places in the world and they never let me down.
definitely go up a size and if treated regularly with the Lundhag balm (which smells of bonfires) they will be very waterproof the only time my feet got wet was when water went over the top.
Loads of support when carrying heavy weight.
My go to boot for any cold wet climate.
Thanks Rabid, certainly sounds like they are a good choice of boot for me and my type of activities in the hills and woods. Sounds like you had some excellent training opportunities too.

Back in my Infantry days (pull up a sand-bag...yawn, zzzz...), a thousand centuries ago, I got on well with the issue high-leg leather boots. We accepted a degree of almost continuous dampness as long as we could see our feet once a day and change socks. These days I am looking for something a bit better than that though. I still have a pair of the old style, stretchy Goretex liner socks that I use in damp boots, when static.

The modern issue temperate and cold weather boots of today are all the type that I try to avoid (padding, waterproof linings etc)

I may seek a good pair of second-hand Lundhags a size up from my normal 42, although they are quite hard to find, to try out first. Not keen to risk investing in a full-price new pair by mail order yet without trying them on for size first. I'll send Lundhags my foot outline too and see what they say.

Thanks again to you all - this is very useful feedback for me and my old feet, which are used to more tropical conditions these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE