All terrain tyres

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Can I ask where people get these fitted? I could buy them cheaper online but I'd rather buy them from the place I get them fitted so if there's any problems I just have one place to deal with. Would somewhere like Kwikfit do them?

Thanks again!

Try your local tyre garages, they will order them in for you, well, they did for me!!
They gave me several qoutes from budget tyres to top of the range, the AT2's being near the top, it's the only thing that connects you to the road so i chose a good make.
Steer clear of kwik fit mate.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Going off topic a wee bit guys..But

What do you think of big mud tyres on the actual road?

Compared to ATs that is.

Dunno about compared to AT's cos I've never had any, but I went from the factory General Grabber road tyres to BFG MT's on my Landy. There was a very slight increase in road noise, far more noticeable at 100mph than normal road speeds, but that's to be expected and everything is noisy in a Landy at that speed. Aside from that, I cant say I can tell much difference. They maybe break away a little sooner in the wet, but you soon get a feel for their limits. I cant say I've noticed a difference in the fuel consumption either. Great tyre, fantastic off road, great on the road. They have been on for 3 years now and when the time comes, I'll be replacing them with the new pattern BFG's (KM2's) which are supposed to be even quieter on pavement. I honestly dont see any reason to put AT's on a 4x4 when MT's are this good.

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Worth mentioning braking as it's not just "side to side" that's affected by tyre choice - typically MTs have a smaller contact patch with the road, size for size, than ATs or road pattern tyres and you'll need to adjust braking distances accordingly, this goes double in the wet. Aggressive MT's like Yokohama Geolanders can reduce braking feel and efficiency by almost half.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
apart form more road friendly and long wear time, but if you drive on road or shale roads ATs are better as the do not try to bite in and rip the tyre as much. Also on really loose non muddy surfaces MT can have the problem on digging you further in. Short wet grass can also be a problem with MTs - leaving all 4 wheels spinning but getting no traction

Having driven off road for a living and personal for a number of years - tried all sorts of tyres form road bias to mega mud I'd say fpr 90% of the stuff ATs are a better choise in the UK than MTs.

Honestly Martin you would be better of with good ATs as yours is a daily drive that does some gentle laning - unless you are going start to really play in the mud.

To turn it around - no point in putting MTs on a raod vehicle when ATs will do everything you want plus some except look "the business"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE