Air rifles 2nd hand?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Wasn't too sure where to put this, i'm looking to buy an air rifle for round about £150 but have no idea where to start looking. My local gunshops up here are overcharging heaps for something that costs alot less down south. Has anybody got any info on where i could maybe pick up a cheap 2nd hand gun?

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Wasn't too sure where to put this, i'm looking to buy an air rifle for round about £150 but have no idea where to start looking. My local gunshops up here are overcharging heaps for something that costs alot less down south. Has anybody got any info on where i could maybe pick up a cheap 2nd hand gun?

I would recommend you go on airgunbbs.com and check out the for sale forums. You'll need to register to be able to post, and check back frequently because the good deals go verrrry quick. A bit of patience can net you a bargain. Often you can get a full set-up (rifle, scope, mounts, bag and maybe more) for what a gunshop would ask for gun-only. Be aware that gunshops usually give some kind of a warranty though, and if you look after your gunshop, it'll generally look after you. :)

All the people I have had dealings with have been brilliant, but there are a few scamsters. Do a face-to-face deal if you're not confident in a postal deal....

The one thing you need to do is decide what sorts of air rifles you are looking for. Do your research and decide whether you want springer or PCP, .177 or .22, single or multishot. Personally I wouldn't go for a CO2 powered airgun as a first airgun unless you specifically want it for plinking or close range rats / feral pigeons.

I would suggest that £150 is a bit low for a full set-up (rifle, scope, mounts, bag) unless you're after a lower end springer. If you can stretch to £200 - £250 then scoped-up PCP multishots (which is what I would go for) can start to be had. Good luck!

Hope that helps

Rat

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
PCP's are great, very accurate and easy to shoot but more expensive to get started.
Another advantage is many are multi shot like these 2.

Picture055.jpg

AirArms S410

392_9292_1.jpg

Rapid Super7

A cheap second hand PCP might be a nightmare for someone starting out and i would only buy one from a known source and somewhere you could take it back to sort out any problems.

PCP's also require charging gear which puts the price up even more.

Forget any CO2 guns for hunting, it can be done but it's not for a beginner.
Fun for plinking but not serious shooting

Good solid second hand springer like a Weihrauch could be had for £150 and will last forever provided you do a little maintenance (5 second rub over with an oily rag before you put it away).
Model choice is down to what works best for you, spend time in a gun shop trying as many as you can and then if you think they are too expensive chance the BBS.

DSC00160-1.jpg

Classic HW77 on left and TB90 on right, not much to choose between them in terms of power and accuracy but they balance very differently so while both guns in theory shoot the same you one might well shoot one better because you can handle it better.

AirArms and Theoben springers are good but can be expensive

Only thing about buying from a local gun shop is the after sales service, especially if it's your first gun.
Saving a few pounds at the start can be expensive in the long run.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Thanks for all the help, i still have a scope from a previous gun so just need the rifle itself, i spoke to a friend this morning and i'm now buying a webley tracker from him. It's just to keep the number of rancid bloody pigeons down beside me so don't need a nything fancy. Another of my friends also has the S410 but i wouldn't use it enough to justify paying that.
Just a nice reliable spring rifle will do the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE