Arctic Norway weekend reccy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
At the weekend I had the chance to add a couple of days exploring onto the end of a business trip to TromsØ. For info the return flight to/from Edinburgh was £200, so so may well take the opportunity to repeat for a longer holiday at some point, seems like good value and I Like to try to do stuff without spending a fortune!

The forecast was for sunshine and light winds, temps around -2C to +5C (woohoo!) so I could travel light and cheap - I only brought hand luggage, which meant no tools (other than a SAK classic) or stove (Just a crusader mug with the intention of making something when I got there depending on what fuel I could pick up). Took with me a 20L rucksack, thermarest, 3 season sleeping bag, tarp, plastic spoon, a few items of warm clothing and a 1st aid kit.

Was fortunate to borrow a bike (with rack) off someone I met, which extended my range and was able to pick up a pack of hexi (for about £7!!!!) for cooking, a simple, reliable option. Spent about £40 on supplies (food and a couple of beers), for the ~36 hours I had to play before I had to get my flight back.

Set off early Saturday across to KvalØya, with the intention of getting as far west and away from the city as possible in the time I had.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@69.6094615,18.5273652,10z

Cutting through the middle of the island about 20km I was soon into the mountains, loads of snow, every inch of it covered in tracks (the Norges certainly love their backcountry skiing!).

33804379504_db094c8e98_z.jpg

Passed some glorious looking cabins. Lots of nice birch trees around, so fuel supply and camp structural material was looking hopeful.

34484944032_287670e5e5_z.jpg

Quite soon I was into Nordfjorden getting onto the west of the island.

34261466880_9959950061_z.jpg

Stopped to make my first brew. Generally my attempts at makeshift stone stoves weren't as effective as my usual hexi-cooker, and attempts to supplement it with dry sticks just didn't work as well as what I was used to from my kelly kettle or bush cooker. Limited to just 1 pack of hexi (it was expensive!) I had to ration it carefully (dinner, breakfast and a couple of brews) which meant I never really got a boil and had to be content with warm enough. Nevermind it was an experiment, and I was happy enough.

34484943672_97415a135c.jpg

Amazing scenery, every inch of it

33837278653_fa9b1e9b15_z.jpg

Conditions were great, and I made it out to SommerØy where I was rewarded by even more spectacular scenery.

34516256571_e71fc5e285_c.jpg

Decided to head back the way I came, and bivvy for the night at a nice spot I passed on the way out near Otervika bay. Conditions were calm and clear, I pitched the tarp mainly to provide some shade from the 24hour light. Although it was calm there were frequent random gusts of wind which would fill my bag with cold air. It was like sleeping in a nice warm bed with the covers getting ripped off every 20mins -however it was too warm to properly tuck myself in the bag. Next time I will bring a lighweight tent instead of the tarp. Ho-hum... I survived the night and it allowed an early start as I was a long way from the flight I had to catch and wanted to allow for the possibility of the bike breaking (although I never go so much as a puncture).

34484943882_7db7e9be68_z.jpg

So for next time, I'll take a tent and a better stove. This will mean taking a bigger bag, and paying extra for hold luggage - no tent pegs in hand luggage and I don't know what security would make of a stove so wouldn't want to risk getting it taken off me, but also means a decent blade (cutting cheese/meat with a SAK classic is naff!). This extra cost could be offset against filling the bag with food bought here - that £40 shopping bill I could have got for about £15 at home, and don't get me started on the price of a beer!! :)

Great place, loads to explore!

Reactions: OrtesPL

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Tromso is a wonderful place, but seriously expensive :) SWMBO and I have been there a couple of times for aurora photography incorporating long weekend breaks, but in winter and staying in hotels. I have been in Sweden a lot, where friends have thought it expensive, but Norway and certainly Tromso is far more expensive over again. Careful choices can help a lot with budget though. Your 5th picture looks a lot like Telegrafbukta park and beach. If it is, we went there (on the bus!) for day and night photography and it is truly beautiful.

Great pictures! They make me wish I could go back.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Great mini trip!
It has been unusually long winter this year.

But I do not understand why you could not boil and cook over the fire using natural material only?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Thanks for that, that's all I could see, still makes it easier than my last trip, interesting...... :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE