Air pistols: a feasible hunting tool?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Falcon won't do any FAC pistols now , even for export.
I asked recently and they say they can't legally manufacture them now.
I was going to buy one and have it tuned up but it's not worth the hassle when we have .22 rimfire pistols.

Sameold

Nov 2, 2005
Hampshire
However the Webley nemisis could take down an elephant if you threw it hard enough ! they weigh a absolute ton! :rolleyes:

Amen to that! I've got an old Nemesis and it's rubbish. All the power output of a wet fart, but builds up your forearm muscles holding it up. I can;t hit the side of a barn door with it. I reckon if a stalked up behind a rabbit with it, I could club it to death with the butt! LOL! Anyone want to buy it or p/x for one of those lovely Berretta CO2 pistols?!! :D

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
sorry i havnt read the whole thread
i have used air guns for a long time i had until fairly recently a powerful hunting rifle.
i had always wanted a pistol so i bought the classic hurrican which i believe is one of the most powerful in the uk - honestly you are better off throwing the pistol at your target than actually firing the thing the best your going to do is really annoy the quarie.
i know that you can buy more powerful spring for the guns but to be honest i want to keep well on the right side of the law esspecially regarding rifle and pistols (there has simply been too much bad press over the years over rifles and i dont want to add to that " also guns and law you just dont want to be on the wrong side of it .
also the acuracy of a pistol even in very skilled hands compared to a rifle is -in my opinion - not compariable , as any one who hunts will agree im sure - the object of a shot is one clean kill , you simply have to use a rifle for that
(watch as i run for cover as im sure i will take some flack for that)
lol

Sameold

Nov 2, 2005
Hampshire
one thing I would say about going after elephants with a Webley Nemesis, is that it would probably be a good idea to saw the trigger guard off first. That way it will hurt less when the elephant shoves the Webley up your ar5e.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I don't think it's a question of feasible or not, yes a pistol will probably kill something small even at 6ft/lbs but if your hunting you have a responsibility to ensure you kill your prey as cleanly as possible. A pistol isn't going to do that FAC or not, even in countries where people still have civil liberties a pistol (real one) would only ever be a backup.

ojs

Jun 13, 2009
Much Hoole, lancashire
This is a really interesting forum as I was always taught that shooting quarry with a pistol was pretty much a bad idea.
I have a crossman single shot CO2 pistol and a .177 umarex S&W 6" but would never expect them to do any damage unless you were stood on top of your quarry. I suppose its one more reason to not bother with the things as they never hget used. Rifles all year round i say.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Years ago I did use to carry an airpistol to dispatch mixied rabbits when there was a bad flare up. A headshot from a metre or two did the job. Wouldn't dream of carrying one these days though.

i realize this is an old thread, but...

as an over fed american with lots of land to shoot on, i thought i'd let you know that we like air guns for the same reason you do, they're fun.

we can't own a suppressor without an expensive tax and an appearance on a watchlist of some sort. so an air gun is the answer to situations where a certain amount of discretion is required.

as far as pistols go...i've used daisy, benjiman and crossman pistols that chronograph between 425 and 480fps. the same or faster than the daisy powerline rifle i've used for the last 25 years. with head shots under 15 yards i haven't had to shoot twice. rabbits and squirrels, rats and mice die just fine. i wouldn't try groundhogs or gophers, though.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I learned to shoot with an air rifle, bagging small game at a friends farm...

I'm hoping to get a shotgun this year, when my birthday happens and my family can afford the license... :D

I think they're brilliant, me and my ex ate for free regularly, and had wonderful evenings out that were all thanks to the air rifle h found languishing at his dads house...

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I came about this website a while back http://www.airgunhunters.com/Gallery2.html and it made me wonder, what are the limits of an air pistol?

I'v never really thought of an air pistol as a feasible tool for small game hunting - maybe as a coup de grat or final blow tool if your not too keen on using your hands.

I wonder at what ranges you could take say a pidgeon or a squirrel. I would imagin range would be a great factor, as well as a great deal of marksmanship.

Has anyone ever used an air pistol to take small quarry?

The short answer is no, because they are not suitable they are mainly for target shooting 10 to 15 yds not for live targets

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
The short answer is no, because they are not suitable they are mainly for target shooting 10 to 15 yds not for live targets

Within the power limits of current UK firearms law I would agree. Once you go to, say, the US (where there are AFAIK no federal laws regarding air guns) it becomes a whole different ball game.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i agree with matt.s, i used to go on american airgun forums and it was comon for people to modify crossman CO2 pistols to over 20 ft/lbs plenty for rabbits etc. others fired 9mm slugs at over 80 ft/lbs :eek:

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE