Advice on Torches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i had a maglight 15 years til it went in the wash in a camo jacket there waterproof not washer proof (note check ya gear bofore hand!)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm certainly no torch fetishist, but there are a lot better torches for the money than maglites IMO. I've used http://www.lighthound.com/ before - it's worth a look with the current exchange rate. I have a Nuwai 301 X3 and a QIII and think they're great little torches. Have a look at the Fenix too.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Another vote for a Petzl Tikka XP - Simply fantastic bit of kit, not only does it free your hands up but the current LED technology also gives a superb range to the beam. Well worth a look and well worth investing in!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Squidders said:
Another vote for a Petzl Tikka XP - Simply fantastic bit of kit, not only does it free your hands up but the current LED technology also gives a superb range to the beam. Well worth a look and well worth investing in!

My votes for this one too.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I use a wind up torch, £6 at local hardwear shop. A couple of winds and it lasts about half an hour. Not batteries to go flat, leak or dispose of.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Whatever you get, make it an LED. This technology has transformed my camping experience. Battery life is simply a revelation. A single AA cell powers my little LED torch and it seems to last for weeks with me reading a couple of hours every night. Amazing.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
we use a wind up torch and a couple of cheap (off ebay) LED head and hand torches. None cost more than a fiver, and work great. My maglites are in a draw somewhere in the house, don't use them anymore, way too power hungry.

I could buy 10 or more of my type of head torch for the price of a Petzl

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Worth knowing....
...that there are conversion kits available for Maglite 2AA torches. You sacrifice the penetrating power but come up trumps with battery longevity.

ATB

Ogri the trog

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
rik_uk3 said:

that certainly is true but my last Petzl went all over the world with me up mountains, down caves, in the rain, in the snow, in the heat and it went for a swim on several occasions and it even survived a +80 mph dive my bag took of a roof rack on the M62. I have only just retired it after 15 years of service and all the attention it got was a re lube of the seals a new bulb every now and then and some cleaning from time to time

now from what i have experienced with my new Petzl and what others have told me theirs have been through i am very confident that i shall get another 15 years service from this bomb proof piece of kit

how many head torches have you had in the last 15 years and how many will you buy in the next 15 ?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you're looking at a petzl tikka, why not try the zipka?
it's the same torch only it's got a retractable cord for the head band.
it's a handier version of the same thing

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I'd definately go for a Petzl, I had an old 'zoom' for about 15 years before one of the wires broke, and then went for one of the dual LED / Hallogen ones (Myo I think it is, although it looks like they only do the black version of it now) - it's a top piece of kit, leaves your hands free to cook, set up camp, map read Etc and they are pretty well made. I must admit I use the LEDs most of the time, but the halogen is handy occasionally.

I've since replaced the wire on the old zoom and now my lad uses it!

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Ditto, almost word-for-word, to Big John. The Maglite has long sat, half-forgotten, in the boot of the car.
I also keep a pair of Photons; one on the car keys and one in my waterproofs.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
another vote for Petzl.
I have one of the old "zoom" versions too (bright yellow) and it has been up hill, down dale, caving and mountaineering. It is a fantastic peice of hardwearing kit. As said before the halogen lamp is useful but the LED's are still bright enough to walk by. I use mine for about 5 hours a day on one holiday and the batteries lasted for over 2 weeks.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
jdlenton said:
rik_uk3

that certainly is true but my last Petzl went all over the world with me up mountains, down caves, in the rain, in the snow, in the heat and it went for a swim on several occasions and it even survived a +80 mph dive my bag took of a roof rack on the M62. I have only just retired it after 15 years of service and all the attention it got was a re lube of the seals a new bulb every now and then and some cleaning from time to time

now from what i have experienced with my new Petzl and what others have told me theirs have been through i am very confident that i shall get another 15 years service from this bomb proof piece of kit

how many head torches have you had in the last 15 years and how many will you buy in the next 15 ?

James, I don't go to the places or extremes you do, so my sub £5 head torches will do just fine. In fact, two I got off ebay were 1p + £2.49 P&P from Hong Kong, so £2.50 each and still going strong. Thats not to say that I don't admire the quality of the expensive torches, but at the end of the day, its horses for courses, and the cheapo's fill my needs. Subject to failure, I may never need to buy another ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE