ABS possible Kydex alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
I posted this over on BB and thought it may be of interest to some of the members on here that dont go over there, and because I know some you are tight! :lmao:

I thought I’d post a few photos of the first sheath I’ve made, for a clipper in black ABS. The sheath itself bares a resemblance to the modular sheaths Rapidboy makes as when I saw these I thought they were a cracking Idea! So I hope he doesn’t mind me interpreting his design and adding a few twists myself.

By the way, I’ll be replacing the nuts and bolts with some Chicago screws when I source them.

P1000616.jpg

P1000619.jpg

P1000620.jpg

P1000623.jpg

Well this bring me to my next point, I use ABS plastic sometimes where I work and it got me thinking why people don’t use it for sheath making in place of kydex which is pretty tricky to come by (in the UK at least) and more expensive than ABS. Is it just a fashion thing, or am I covering old ground here?

I did a bit of maths on this and came up with the following:

Kydex (knifekits.com price) comes in at over £2.70 ft²
ABS (stephen-webster.co.uk) comes in at under £1.00 ft²

The above comparison does not take into account import or postage costs (set price, around the £12 mark last time I checked for the ABS from Stephen Webster). Obviously you can get the materials elsewhere and I don’t work for either company!

The ABS comes in a range of colours and finishes but the one that would probably be most useful for sheaths would be the pinseal finish which looks quite similar in texture to kydex (more of a glossy finish perhaps?)

I’ve never used kydex before so I can’t comment on it in terms of toughness/strength compared with ABS, but I do know if you need a tough wear resistant plastic ABS is usually one of the better options.

Anyway thoughts and comments welcome,
Cheers​

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I don't know why people use kydex over the other either? Perhaps some one will enlighten us.

If I'm correct kydex is an ABS acrylic plastic alloy !!!!! this would lead it to have a set of properties much different to ABS perhaps it forms and works more easily.

I'd like to try working in ABS I'll have to put it on the that on the list of project to come

I hope more useful information comes this way it would be very welcome

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Well I don't know how easy it is in comparison but the ABS takes probably 3-4 mins under the grill (turned halfway through) on a lowish heat to become workable and then hardens off pretty quickly in 30 seconds or so and is solid as a rock in 5 mins.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I like the look of that as I want to have a go at some of the kydex plastic type sheaths but can't find any in the UK in small quantities. I only want a couple of square feet to have a go with & this may be an option. Thanks for the post.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That looks nice, kydex isn't normally my cup of tea but I'd like to try some just to do something different. Think I might try this instead as it's cheaper and new to me and I'm tight. Could a paint stripper gun be used to form it or does it need to go under a grill? Ebay has Chicago screws in small and large quantities, I'm after some for a friction folder I'm doing. Top job mate! If you want to go in on some Chicago screws let me know, I only need a couple.goodjob

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I always thought ABS was quite fragile, it certainly was on the motorcycle components I encountered, forever breaking!

It quickly earned the title Appallingly Brittle Shi.!

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i would assume though that it was large bits on motorcycles like casings for stuff so would be easier to break than a small bit folded in half...?

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
If I remember correctly, ABS and PVC have both been used to produce sheaths a few times before. the main reason it's not more common is because both (PVC more than ABS) can release some pretty nasty fumes. as in higly cancer-causing, kill you dead type fumes, not just really smelly.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Sasquatch I've used a heat gun in the past to do other work, it works just as well maybe takes a little longer and you need to make sure you heat the whole surface.
I've swapped some screws with a fella on BB so I should be fine for them, thanks for the offer though and if I have a couple left over I'll get in touch.

I always thought ABS was quite fragile, it certainly was on the motorcycle components I encountered, forever breaking!

It quickly earned the title Appallingly Brittle Shi.!

Some of it can be quite brittle as all sorts of things are added to change its properties even the colour can make a difference, then you can just have poor quality material. All ABS is not created equal :(
On a motorbike you've got the heat, exposure to sun etc. which all play a part too.

If I remember correctly, ABS and PVC have both been used to produce sheaths a few times before. the main reason it's not more common is because both (PVC more than ABS) can release some pretty nasty fumes. as in higly cancer-causing, kill you dead type fumes, not just really smelly.

I know it can give off styrene gas when burnt which is not the friendliest of gasses :), but as for it giving off any super nasty gasses at the temperatures we are talking about I wouldn't worry too much.

I think I'm going to have to get some kydex now to see how it compares in the real world - cue destruction test! :viking:

I recently started to get Kydex kit together
got a toaster oven from Argos for £29.99 (reduced from £60)

and ordered a load of stuff from the States including the foam but made my own press with it out of Plywood and a few B&Q fittings

Kydexpress.jpg

ive also seen people use Milk container plastic its fairly thin but fine for some stuff but does melt quickly if your not carefull :rolleyes: any thermo forming plastic should be suitable

ive only used the 1.5mm thick black stuff yet which is fairly easy to do but needs to be hotter than you think to get a good mould and a bit of practice to get it out of the oven and wrapped into the press quickly and folded well

the rest of the Kydex is 2mm thick

its definatly faster and easier than leather
just a bit difficult not to copy Rapid boys ideas once youv'e seen them :rolleyes:

ATB

Duncan

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Nice setup Duncan, the oven sounds like a good idea certainly better than doing in on the kitchen floor!

To be fair the colours available in the kydex are pretty damn cool, is the plastic that colour or is it a film/coating on the black kydex?

Nice setup Duncan, the oven sounds like a good idea certainly better than doing in on the kitchen floor!

To be fair the colours available in the kydex are pretty damn cool, is the plastic that colour or is it a film/coating on the black kydex?

nope those are Kydex colours saftey Orange, Hot Pink and a Forest Cammo printed pattern all 2mm ( 0.080" or 80 thou)

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE