A week on foraged wild food.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you kindly :D but I'm blushing here gentlemen :eek: :eek:

It's a good thread, too interesting to have it degenerate into a rammy.

atb,
M

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The only way I can stomache worms is to fry them until they resemble pork scrathings them crumble them into soups ... but I guess that does the food value very little good....
Probably not. They are good scorce of fatty acids and protein. Outside of seeds, nuts and meat, worms are a pretty realible find.

Himself says the right way of eating them is. squeeze the gunk out was them chop them up and cook 'um. The KISS method. They contain parasites.

Mary ;I am very grateful to you.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fi, there are so many folks reading this thread with interest, and learning so many bits of information, that it's a classic :D

atb,
M

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
The incident in Coventry sounds a little off! Still at least your man kept his rifle.
If anyone offered my duck I'd be there like a shot (excuse the pun) The meat from our Muscovies ranks along-side venison for delicious.
Swyn.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Thank-you for the reply Fiona, at least it should warm the sheets up at night. As someone else said about the temper moment.....its interesting, and obviously out of character. Glad it passed. I tip my hat to you ma'am on your Fantastic effort. Great reading....gi yersen a hot choccy toneet ;) an some praise for yer man for supportin yer. Good 'elth.
Atvb.
Chiseller, rogue extraordinaire ;)

xylaria

Photo0321.jpg

Dinner tonight. i have quite enough protien now in the form of mussles to probably get me to thursday. In an effort to make them more interesting an attempt at spicey dip for them, the ingredants are the radish leaves and ramsons gently stirfryed in a small amount of homemade chilli oil. I am very full now. [i didnt take the picture] There is a large bowl of mussels out of shot BTW.

xylaria

this morning wanted to try to make a porridge. bulrush roots plantain seeds, crab apple and sea beet stalks.

DSC00051.jpg

It looks nothing like porridge and it is yet another bowl greeny stuff. It tastes alot better then it looks. Sea beet stalks have slight sweetness to them, the crab apple gives it nice zing.

Last edited:

xylaria

Went for a nice bimble today, harvested wild radish roots, hogweed shoots, gorse flowers, found a margold plant that had been fly-tipped in begining to come into flower. I found picked up off the floor of the woods quite a few nearly sweet apples.

DSC00053.jpg
Radish and parnsip roots. The radishs had a interesting taste, but were very woody. I sliced them very thin before boiling in a shallow pan with the parnsips i disgarded the slightly muddy water and the added the hogweed shoots, 6 peeled apples [they are small] and a small knob of butter. and fried for few minutes until the hogweed softened and the apples carmellised slightly.

DSC00054.jpg
in near disbelief at cooking something that wasnt yet more green gunk i dressed the plate with marigold flowers and gorse blossom. :) some parts of the radishes were soft and tasted like mooli other bits were totally inedble

DSC00057.jpg
This is agriculture step 1. This is some ears of wheat i picked today. I found it growing wild last week and sprouted some for a breakfast. what is most interesting about it is that i live an area of very high rainfall, this wheat does not have ergot. So I am going to cultivate them.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good stuff Fiona :D

Being vegetarian I admit I've been eyeing your meals with a bit of, "Ooooh, mebbe not....", but that looks tasty :D Apples are good stuff, even crab apples are good cooked :D
With radish ? that sounds good :)

How are you feeling now that the forage diet is kind of settling in ? For Winter foraging you're finding an interesting range :cool: A lot of them I wouldn't have thought of at all, though I do find a lot of 'greens' for salad round here.

I grow wheat, oats and barley, just small patches in the garden which is sodden wet :sigh: well, it's Lanarkshire, it's on fertile, but very heavy clay soil. I've never had ergot, thankfully, but it's definitely not to be trifled with carelessly. Ergotamine, as a processed drug has it's medicinal uses; and having had it, I can truthfully report that I will, never, ever, allow anyone to give me it again. It was truly awful. That was a measured dose too, no wonder folks died of it.

Thank you for posting :D

cheers,
M

xylaria

I feel absolutly fine now, healthier than I do normally. I havent eaten dairy, gluten, msg, or processed sugar in 5 days and very little fat. I dont feel groggy in the morning. The diet is very high in minerals. It feels natural to eat protien one meal and carbs another. The apples I got today are much more edible than the ones I got the other day, so I am looking forward to something sweet for breakfast.

I walked around to my mums this morning. There was a dead mouse on her path. I asked "would you like me to remove it for you", thinking of lobbing it in a hedge. she just shreiked and said "Oh for god sake dont eat it"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :lmao:
Y'know, that was protein :rolleyes: :D

This is an odd question, but having just been to the dentist ....How do your teeth feel ?
If I'm eating loads of carbs and fats mine always feel in need of a good clean, but on plant rich they're absolutely fine. Your diet's mineral rich and free from additives, etc. Just wondering ?

cheers,
M

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Gosh, you gels :) what a fascinating project!! And written with such humour, I am feeling for your Mam with her dread of the potential mouse stir fry :) I'll be looking out for wild parsnips, they look absolutely prime season :)

xylaria

Breakfast apples and sea beet shoots and fennel seeds
DSC00060.jpg

Lunch apples sea beat leaves and mussles
DSC00061.jpg

snack stuff a seaweed i have always called sea grass but I will look up the proper name with more mussles
DSC00062.jpg

Dinner meat and two veg. squirrel parnsip and sea beat. I am going to to fiddle about with the skin tomorrow to see how much fat i can get out of it. Just viewing squirrel as meat is a bit of a waste and Fat is a hard to come by in wild food. The bones have gone in a jam bag and into a soup for school lunches tomorrow. The squirrel was stewed in a pressure cooker. To do over a fire, would be slow stewing over a small fire for several hours. I am on propane so I cook tend to cook things with the pressure cooker to save fuel.
DSC00073.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE