A simple coat / blanket carrier.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've been nattering with Man of Tanith about these and decided to have a go at creating as simple a version as I could using my preferred medium.

Having knocked one up I thought I'd stick it up here :D .

As a guide, the item held is a Polish poncho shelter half and the holding straps are an inch wide. At the moment the straps are set for just two sizes, there's no reason for this ~ I just haven't put the others in yet :) :eek: .

From the front ...

From the top ...

Straps loose to show available space ...

Close up of a buckle and showing the leather ...

So, what would I change or add?

I still prefer the solidity of sewn and riveted joins and I still have the feeling that I should have stitched the handle strap ~ but I do like the simplicity and doing it this way has led to ideas for improvements :D .

As I'd initially thought I'd cut the connecting / hand / grab / carry strap piece a bit too wide :eek: , it would have been fine at an inch and I may yet reshape the strap ;) .

It really needs a shoulder strap! That's already in the planning stage ;) :D .

Although I used a couple of 'proper tools' you could easily get away with:

A cutting tool,
A meter rule,
A punch for the rivets,
A punch for the buckle arm,
A rivet setter,
A rubber / nylon / wooden mallet ~ but only if your punches aren't rotary ...

Thanks for taking the time to look :D .

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks good, would work a treat on a Czech army bed roll...

Might give it a go!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks for the kind words :notworthy

Mark II might even have a belt / strap attachment ~ if I can work out the simplest way of doing it ... :thinkerg: .

I found this link..... http://2nd95thrifles.myfastforum.org/index.php?component=content&topicid=514 ..... that I put in another thread recently.

Good link, thanks :D :thankyou:

nice litte project that :)

Thank you :D .

I like that. The sort of thing I'd adapt to hold my ultralight tent to the rucksac so leaving more space for stuff inside.

There's no reason you couldn't make an ultralite version :approve:

Looks good, would work a treat on a Czech army bed roll...

Might give it a go!

No reason why it shouldn't, give it a bash :D .

good job Phil, looks like a usefull item when out for a bimble. ive used a length of rope with a evenk at either end for similar reasons. :)

I've done the same with Canadian Jam Knots (better knot for holding in compression), but I always seemed to either lose or reallocate the cord :eek: .

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work mate!
I just use two short leather, buckled, strap around my bedroll with a leather cord between the two - it adjusts easily :)

not as smart as 1" leather though...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Cheers John, like yours too ~ simple and aesthetically pleasing :D ... Bit like a spork in that respect ...

Nice work mate!
I just use two short leather, buckled, strap around my bedroll with a leather cord between the two - it adjusts easily :)
>>><<<
not as smart as 1" leather though...

Betcha mine's more easily adjusting than yours is :p :rofl: ~ it's all in the buckle ;)

Ah, it's only inch leather because I'd got inch buckles :rofl:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi. I just use two bungies to attach either a blanket or coat to my rucksack. I use an external frame that makes doing this really easy while not throwing the balance out.

As with cord, this is another method I've tried ~ my external's a surplus Swedish LK50. I never found it comfortable to hand carry the bungies though :dunno: , personal dislike of 'More bounce than an ounce!' in the elastics I guess :eek:

EDIT: It helps when you (finally) remember to post the remainder of your post :eek: ...

The next one is likely to have a bike adapter incorporated into it (like in the pic below), it would just need a Strap Keeper Loop to be sewn / riveted on and a snap or buckle loop to link it to the seat's attachment
points.

731148850.jpg

pic from here

Looks simpler/lighter than the Issue one.

More expansive too :D ~ I should get a few bits in there to give a better idea of what it'll hold :) . The old '58 Poncho Roll's a good bit of kit though, especially if you can prevent it mopping up water :eek: :yikes:

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
very nice - been meaning to knock one of these up myself with the addition of a couple of D rings to add a shoulderstrap

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE