A rough edgd bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Having had a few woodturning failures, I selected the roughest, punkiest, worst bit of wood in the shed and chucked it onto the lathe (that's a woodturning pun, by the way) just for some practice.

After a bit, it started to take shape, and to my surprise I ended up with my first uneven-edged bowl. It's really light, being old softwood, and has areas where the rotten wood has just fallen off, so it is a bit rough in places, but I think that adds to the character.

I've lightly hand-sanded the rough edge to make it less jagged, and given it a coat of rapeseed oil.

IMGP0691.jpgIMGP0689.jpgIMGP0690.jpgIMGP0692.jpgIMGP0693.jpgIMGP0695.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thaks mate. It looks a lot better than it is in those shots, but I like it.

(must sort out those dandelions in the garden though, even if they did make an artistic background...)

Off topic, but about 30 seconds ago I posted in another thread about how much I hate spelling mistakes. Then I saw the title for this thread. :yikes:

Serves me right. :lmao:

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice work, the natural look it much easier on the eye than a completely manufactured look. Have my Grand Fathers lathe in the garage and its not done a jot besides be used as a sander. Must get it going.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
bloody love that mate, nice n gnarly :D my kinda tastes

I'm disappointed. Normally you say it is "braw". :D Or is that not as good as "bloody love that"?

Thanks for the praise all. Like I said, it is a bit of practice that turned out well. Not something I would ever have set out to make.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
It is a lovely bit of turning but I fear it is spalted beech which means its halfway to being rotten. It is a bit large to get stabilised so I would suggest a 250ml tin of wood hardener and soaking it in the stuff. It works quite well to improve the longevity of rotting timber.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It is a lovely bit of turning but I fear it is spalted beech which means its halfway to being rotten. It is a bit large to get stabilised so I would suggest a 250ml tin of wood hardener and soaking it in the stuff. It works quite well to improve the longevity of rotting timber.

Well it's certainly spalted, and I don't know what it is, but the grain looks very widely spaced to me, which is why I thought softwood. You're right though, it is halfway rotten, so I will take you up on your advice whatever wood it is.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Really cool stuff, love the shape and ruggedness of the bowl, and are we sure this is Beech? and so yes what type of Beech,
Thus far I'm only familiar with the Fagus sylvatica, or european beech which is really light in color and has them characteristic small stripes in the length of the grain, but hey still on the learning curve here ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Still not convinced it is beech at all. Look at the first pic, you can see the grain to the bottom right, and it is very widely spaced. My vote is still with a softwood, but in all honesty I just don't know. Like I said, it was the worst bit of wood in the shed, so I didn't much care as I had no idea I would get anything meaningful out of it.

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Really cool stuff, love the shape and ruggedness of the bowl, and are we sure this is Beech? and so yes what type of Beech,
Thus far I'm only familiar with the Fagus sylvatica, or european beech which is really light in color and has them characteristic small stripes in the length of the grain, but hey still on the learning curve here ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud
Spalted beech is Fagus sylvatica with a fungal desease which causes a discoloration of the timber. The distance between the growth rings can vary due to a number of factors but generally related to the prevalent climate in the development of its growth. Warm wet summers produce widely spaced rings and conversely shorter, cooler summers cause less growth and tighter rings. There are other variants such as damage to the lower trunk that can cause a change in growth ring patterns.
The black lines on this picture are typical of spalted beech.
images

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks for that Bushwacker bob, can you tell me is it the same type of fungus that turns beech orange, or can the effects be found separted so, say unspalted but orange like beech?
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE