Woodmatters Bench/stool making course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Just had a lovely weekend up in the lakes and spent some quality time with my better half yesterday on a traditional stool making course. I wanted to share the experience as our course leader Gareth Thomas was brilliant and his family business Woodmatters deserves to be shouted about.

We got to the site for 9am, which was national trusts footprint, a lovely outdoor space with a large building ideal for indoor courses as well as a large canopy area for outdoor crafts in worse weather. Thankfully it was to be a scorcher of a day so we were able to be out on the grass area adjacent. Tea and coffee were plentiful as well as biccies and as well as some stunning lemon drizzle cake :)

20220508_090748.jpg
20220508_090741.jpg
We started by splitting and cleaving the legs from locally sourced Ash, some of the knotty sections were good fun to split! Those making benches/tables had a whole round split into quarters- we had chosen to make a 3 legged stool so we split a round into 6.
Next we roughed out the legs with the axe, Gareth had brought a great range of tools so I had a lot of fun trying different axes out, and we joked about how you used to be able to buy a gransfors for 50 quid! The GB carving axe was the winner for me, really nice weight. The wildlife hatchet was just too light IMO.

20220508_122820.jpg20220508_145301.jpg

The next step was finishing the legs, with the drawknife on the shave horse. I've got to get me a shave horse. Very therapeutic exercise! Good quality tools again, Ray Iles drawknives used. When the shape was done, we used a special tool like a big pencil sharpener to accurately take the leg tops down to 1".

20220508_123507.jpg20220508_125706.jpg
The next step was drilling the holes in the top. We had selected larch, but we also had the choice of oak. The grain on the larch just seemed to pop, and it was a new wood to me so I thought why not. Drawing on angles and measuring up for the holes was taking me back to school. We drilled the holes with a 1" auger bit and brace, which is tough but precise work, this will test you! 14 degrees is the magic number for the tilt in the legs.

20220508_115009.jpg

After holes were drilled, the boards were sanded with 40 all around then 80 grit on top for a better finish. The next step was checking the legs for fit, then removing legs and cutting the slots for wedges, done I pairs with one person clamping the work in the shave horse and another cutting the slot with the saw.
20220508_165639.jpg

After fitting the right size wedges (oak) and cutting the excess flush with a fancy and dainty Japanese saw, the tops were sanded down once more to bring everything nice and flush.

IMG-20220508-WA0009.jpg

Then the piece was levelled up using a great little trick. You'll have to go on the course to find that out though :)

Et Voila! Our 2 stools and the other benches that were made on the day, each hand built and unique.

IMG-20220508-WA0011.jpg20220508_190958.jpg

Attachments

• 20220508_123507.jpg
    20220508_123507.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 3

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Just had a lovely weekend up in the lakes and spent some quality time with my better half yesterday on a traditional stool making course. I wanted to share the experience as our course leader Gareth Thomas was brilliant and his family business Woodmatters deserves to be shouted about.

We got to the site for 9am, which was national trusts footprint, a lovely outdoor space with a large building ideal for indoor courses as well as a large canopy area for outdoor crafts in worse weather. Thankfully it was to be a scorcher of a day so we were able to be out on the grass area adjacent. Tea and coffee were plentiful as well as biccies and as well as some stunning lemon drizzle cake :)

View attachment 74028
View attachment 74029
We started by splitting and cleaving the legs from locally sourced Ash, some of the knotty sections were good fun to split! Those making benches/tables had a whole round split into quarters- we had chosen to make a 3 legged stool so we split a round into 6.
Next we roughed out the legs with the axe, Gareth had brought a great range of tools so I had a lot of fun trying different axes out, and we joked about how you used to be able to buy a gransfors for 50 quid! The GB carving axe was the winner for me, really nice weight. The wildlife hatchet was just too light IMO.

View attachment 74030View attachment 74031

The next step was finishing the legs, with the drawknife on the shave horse. I've got to get me a shave horse. Very therapeutic exercise! Good quality tools again, Ray Iles drawknives used. When the shape was done, we used a special tool like a big pencil sharpener to accurately take the leg tops down to 1".

View attachment 74033View attachment 74034
The next step was drilling the holes in the top. We had selected larch, but we also had the choice of oak. The grain on the larch just seemed to pop, and it was a new wood to me so I thought why not. Drawing on angles and measuring up for the holes was taking me back to school. We drilled the holes with a 1" auger bit and brace, which is tough but precise work, this will test you! 14 degrees is the magic number for the tilt in the legs.

View attachment 74035

After holes were drilled, the boards were sanded with 40 all around then 80 grit on top for a better finish. The next step was checking the legs for fit, then removing legs and cutting the slots for wedges, done I pairs with one person clamping the work in the shave horse and another cutting the slot with the saw.
View attachment 74036

After fitting the right size wedges (oak) and cutting the excess flush with a fancy and dainty Japanese saw, the tops were sanded down once more to bring everything nice and flush.

View attachment 74037

Then the piece was levelled up using a great little trick. You'll have to go on the course to find that out though :)

Et Voila! Our 2 stools and the other benches that were made on the day, each hand built and unique.

View attachment 74038View attachment 74039
That looks great! I very much enjoy courses where you make something useful with your hands, especially out of wood. I’m on a two day course next week to make Shaker-style steamed oval boxes from maple or cherry. Should be interesting.

Cheers, Bob

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
That looks great! I very much enjoy courses where you make something useful with your hands, especially out of wood. I’m on a two day course next week to make Shaker-style steamed oval boxes from maple or cherry. Should be interesting.

Cheers, Bob
That sounds a bit technical. I'll have a Google! Hope you enjoy it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE