A recipe for Bacon & Chive Beer Bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I stumbled across this recipe for a type of beer bread and immediately thought of you lot...

RHXT6OL.jpg

Bacon & Chive Beer Bread

Yields 1 loaf

3 cups (380 grams) bread flour (all-purpose will work in a pinch)
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
2-2 1/2 ounces (55-70 grams) cooked bacon, crumbled (about 15 thin slices)
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 ounces (355 ml) beer (choose your favorite!)
1/4 cup (57 grams) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, chopped chives, salt, and crumbled bacon. Pour in beer and mix until just incorporated. Spread batter evenly in prepared baking pan. Pour melted butter over the top of the dough.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is browned. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Many thanks to pastryaffair.com

:)[/FONT][/COLOR]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I made this this afternoon............took 25 mins. to eat the lot, absolutely delicious! I've packed a dry mix and will try it on the stove tomorrow for lunch in the woods............thanks very much! atb mac

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
I used to make this all the time in a Dutch oven in South Africa. The beer is very important - the bubbles give aeration and lift in addition to the baking soda. I used to use self raising flour in lieu of the baking soda and bread flour.

Come to think of it, it was just flour, salt and beer :) you can add whatever other bits suit you. Cheese, corn, biltong, bacon.... The mixture was put in quite wet too - very high hydration loaf.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE