A recipe for Bacon & Chive Beer Bread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just tried this, using McEwan's Champion Beer. Sorry to be in the Moanority but I found it too salty and so you might want to put in less salt than suggested in the recipe. I also added more bacon but still couldn't taste it. And I couldn't taste the beer either. Sorry about the lack of spacing but when I press 'enter' the curser doesn't move down the page. I do like the spell check feature that I haven't seen before

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I stumbled across this recipe for a type of beer bread and immediately thought of you lot...

I did mine a few weeks back with hobgoblin and a little cheese in the mix. I reduced the salt a little as im sensitive to the taste. Was absolutely cracking, thanks for the insparation sandbender

20130210_184603_zps75d66eff.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I did mine a few weeks back with hobgoblin and a little cheese in the mix. I reduced the salt a little as im sensitive to the taste. Was absolutely cracking, thanks for the insparation sandbender
I must have done something wrong - as can't believe that less salt alone would make all the difference for me. Also was quite expensive in bacon - 400gms (two packets) dried out in the oven to produce about 90 gms ................................................................................. And still can't get the 'para' key to work - and now can't remove these italics!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are few things in this world that cannot be improved by adding more bacon. :)

Sorry, but that's a total :yuck:
Miss out the bacon and the bread sounds good though :)

I used to make this all the time in a Dutch oven in South Africa. The beer is very important - the bubbles give aeration and lift in addition to the baking soda. I used to use self raising flour in lieu of the baking soda and bread flour.

Come to think of it, it was just flour, salt and beer :) you can add whatever other bits suit you. Cheese, corn, biltong, bacon.... The mixture was put in quite wet too - very high hydration loaf.

I can just about smell it cooking :D
Good time to make it too; it'll be ready for lunch :cool: Might use ransoms instead of chives.

Thanks for the recipes :D

cheers,
M

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I must have done something wrong - as can't believe that less salt alone would make all the difference for me. Also was quite expensive in bacon - 400gms (two packets) dried out in the oven to produce about 90 gms ................................................................................. And still can't get the 'para' key to work - and now can't remove these italics!!!

i didnt dry mine. just grilled, removed the fat and shredded. Only used 80g

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Sorry, but that's a total :yuck:
Miss out the bacon and the bread sounds good though :)

I can just about smell it cooking :D
Good time to make it too; it'll be ready for lunch :cool: Might use ransoms instead of chives.

Thanks for the recipes :D

cheers,
M

Ransoms, mmmmm. :)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Just had a great day with Wales winning and a few sherbets to celebrate and I've mixed up the ingredients to try tomorrow.
(hope the beers I've consumed don't ruin the mix)

Thanks for the recipe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE