a quick experiment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

catweasel

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2009
rotherham
what do you think to this kinfe?

nbg.jpg

those of you who know the background of this knife will know what im trying to find out

edit wrong section i think sorry.....

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's a very good knife made by a craftsman to be bombproof and fit for it's intended purpose. And it is. It's one of the best made knives I've ever held. Personally I don't need the serrations, but I understand why they are there and why they are designed like that. Quality.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry - it looks awful in my eyes!
The handle looks very "tactical" (I prefer wood...) and also uncomfortable, the blade looks too wide for a lot of carving tasks and I am not at all keen on serrations, especially on fixed blade knives and even more so in that position where I want to get max power for deep clean cuts ...not for me I am afraid - though it looks pretty strong (what steel and thickness is the steel) and well built. The leatherwork looks good...but I am not a big fan of horizontal carries....
Sorry - but you did ask... :)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i think its pretty nasty if im honist. i don't like the flat sides of the handle, it reminds me of a kitchen knife and serated edges are useless in my book.

what is the funny cut out in the handle all about???

pete

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The handles are surprisingly comfortable and one of the most ergonomic knives I've used, the cut out just follows the natural lie of the fingers. It's one of those knives like Spyderco, you need to hold it to see why it works, visuals alone just don't do the things justice. The serrations were designed and made to be sharpened on pebbles in an emergenct situation. It is primarily a survival knife and is quite good in that aspect, for more real practical use, I'd go for the plain edge version. The Raven series is better for us shrafters, but that is a quality bit of kit.

Rob Bayley has recently cut any endorsement by BG.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i know you were just commenting on the knife John, i don't like the serations either, i do however like the knife with the plain edge. Strong bullet proof tool that does exactly what it says on the tin.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
pete_t.....no it's not mate, check out the signature on the second picture and catweasels comments !

infact, it's not about the knife at all !

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Fill in the cut outs in the handle and round the edges,then make the blade serration free and I'd be happy with it.

catweasel

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2009
rotherham
im not after a bear bashing thread im just wanting to know your thoughts on this knife, i thought before it was outed that i was planning to base the design of my new knife on a bear product i thought id better come clean

sorry

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Personally i prefer a more traditional blade like a scandi or a nice drop point with wooden clothes.As for the knife pictured it looks like a technically precise piece of craftsmanship built for the job.Not my cup of tea but like to see one for real.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE