A man's right....?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
Having recently purchased my first axe, I have had a go at making my first two wooden spoons this weekend - one yesterday, and one today. Lots of fun and very addictive! :)

The missus has been out with the kids this afternoon and I have yet again made a mess of the patio, having brought my wood home to work it rather than sit in the woods (too many walkers on a sunday).

I thought I would seek some support from BCUK members before she arrives home (15 mins) and has a go at me for all the plethora of woodchippings and tools! ;)

I believe it is a man's right, nay his DUTY, to mess up the patio.

Am I alone in this?! If there's enuf responses I can let her know the power of numbers and she will return to her normal sweet self! lol ;)

C

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From the distaff side of things I have to confess that it's me that usually has shavings and chippings all over the path, step and the kitchen floor :eek:

Just tell herself that you were having fun :D Greet her with a great big happy grin and say, "Look what I made :D "
Surely only the harshest of wives would pop your balloon :D

cheers,
Toddy

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
IT could be a valentines day spoon. In the tradition of old....

...always assuming there WAS a tradition of old where a man gave his beloved a hand crafted wooden spoon....so she can cook and stuff....of course.... ;)

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
IT could be a valentines day spoon. In the tradition of old....

...always assuming there WAS a tradition of old where a man gave his beloved a hand crafted wooden spoon

Now there's a fella thinking on his feet!!!

Tell her the wood shavings are for the Pot Purri bowl you are going to make her.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's a mans right to make as much mess as he wants, as long as it's all tidied up before the boss gets home.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Excellent idea!! ;) I knew I'd get some backup on here! (probably hedging my bets a little bit though huh? haha)

Hahahahaa, worth a try though.

In my defence, I only know what pot purri is because my sister is daft on the stuff and has bowls of it all around her house.

I'm tempted to pinch the darn stuff for tinder. :)

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
You were cutting the wood for the shavings yer gonna take with you on yer next walk? comes in dead handy for a brew. :)

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
only the patio???

naaaaaaaaaah thats fine. as is the kitchen. as is the living room at a pinch.....

just don't clog up the bed with wood shavings or she'll get really upset!

Dom.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
My first thought on reading the subject line only was...

"...seldom if he's married"

How prophetic - have a nice ear bending, unless you do the sensible thing and either clean it up before she gets home or cut yourself in some superficial, but bloody, way and go for the sympathy vote :D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Yes its a mans right..woe betide you if it isnt cleaned up though!:twak:

It's a mans right to make as much mess as he wants, as long as it's all tidied up before the boss gets home.

These men know the ropes :You_Rock_:lmao:
Stands to reason, clear up properly and leave the spot tidier than it was before.....Try putting down a big tarp, thats what I do in the lounge, it only takes a moment to gather up the chips and then a quick whizz with the vaccum cleaner. I have to watch myself in the utility room though, I am really in the s##t if I block access to the washer ot dryer.....:rant::eek:

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
Apparently there is a welsh tradition of carving a love spoon for your beloved and I for one would like to continue some traditions and so do you by the sound of it, what a lucky woman she is to have such a romantic soul as you. (and clean it up)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If it helps, I was messing about with an old try stick I found in the kitchen cupboard today. As I was shaping the end I followed through onto the kitchen table and took a very big slice out of the top. I was going to blame the little un, but she'd already seen me do it and ran off to grass me up.

cwillson

Forager
Jul 14, 2007
Cotswolds
I was going to blame the little un, but she'd already seen me do it and ran off to grass me up.

BRILLIANT! li'l buggers for that aint they? :lmao: If I tell my son "lets keep this a big secret from mummy" he walks straight up to her and tattles on me. I wouldnt mind so much, but he tends to embelish the truth a little too so I end up in even more trouble!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
BRILLIANT! li'l buggers for that aint they? :lmao: If I tell my son "lets keep this a big secret from mummy" he walks straight up to her and tattles on me. I wouldnt mind so much, but he tends to embelish the truth a little too so I end up in even more trouble!

I think her exact quote was 'Mom... Dads carving all the nice shiny part of the table off and has made a big hole doing it, and he's made a spear'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE