Old Man's beard as a tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 6, 2023
Slovakia
Morning All,
I am looking for suggestions for natural tinder that doesn't need to be processed before use. I generally use Old Man's Beard (Clematis) seed heads which, if dry, can be plucked of the vine and used as tinder straight away. I am looking for anything similar that can be picked up on the go and used as a fire starter. Thanks guys. Andy.

Reactions: Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've always known old man's beard as the clematis seed heads.

As for tinder ready to go I find mature King Alfred's cakes, Daldinia concentrica, take a spark very easily on a freshly cut surface.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I've found that the head of Great Reed Mace if pulled apart when very dry, will take a spark, but it's a 'Flash' Tinder and glows/ burns quickly unlike King Alfred's Cakes.

Reactions: Karpatsky Forest
Jan 6, 2023
Slovakia
I've always known old man's beard as the clematis seed heads.

As for tinder ready to go I find mature King Alfred's cakes, Daldinia concentrica, take a spark very easily on a freshly cut surface.
Here in central Europe, King Alfred's cakes are not that common. You do see them but aren't really plentiful enough to be a reliable source of tinder to hand. One thing we do have a lot of here is Horse Shoe fungus (fomes fomentariu), not always easy to take a spark but once you have an ember it will burn long and slow for ages while you sort you tinder bundle out.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's a general problem with seed head tinders in my experience.

Of course, scraped birch bark will light from a spark; powdered horseshoe fungus without processing as well - in fact I find it only marginally better when processed to amadou; scuffed dry honeysuckle bark ...

Jan 6, 2023
Slovakia

Of course, scraped birch bark will light from a spark; powdered horseshoe fungus without processing as well - in fact I find it only marginally better when processed to amadou; scuffed dry honeysuckle bark ...
Honeysuckle bark, really? I haven't heard of that. I'll give it a try.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

Worth noting that honeysuckle bark is the primary nesting material for dormice. So make sure you leave enough for the little creatures too folks! :)

• Haha
Reactions: nigelp and Broch

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Morning All,
I am looking for suggestions for natural tinder that doesn't need to be processed before use. I generally use Old Man's Beard (Clematis) seed heads which, if dry, can be plucked of the vine and used as tinder straight away. I am looking for anything similar that can be picked up on the go and used as a fire starter. Thanks guys. Andy.

Mugwort leaves and flourish. Gather it in bunches and hang it to dry for later if you need it, but since the plant is tall and waves around in any breeze, there's usually enough dry leaves to make into a rolled ball to catch a spark.
It's one of the traditional hearth herbs.

Scraped birch bark is another one that really just needs roughed up a little to catch a spark, and once that's in the bark takes readily enough.

Strange things that folks don't expect work really well. Any of the linarias for instance, crumpled up flax stems, or the dried off clumps of old lobelias. They form light airy balls with lots of edges, and fibres, that catch and flare up readily enough.
Stuff a roll of birch bark, or make a tinder bundle, easy enough to keep tidy in a pocket.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think they just used it fresh tbh.
I have just this last year found a honeysuckle plant that is so totally different in growth to my usual one that I actually questioned whether it was honeysuckle or not. It's vine honeysuckle. Native but grows huge great lengths and stays green through Winter. Not the woodbine honeysuckle that loses it's leaves.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think they just used it fresh tbh.
I have just this last year found a honeysuckle plant that is so totally different in growth to my usual one that I actually questioned whether it was honeysuckle or not. It's vine honeysuckle. Native but grows huge great lengths and stays green through Winter. Not the woodbine honeysuckle that loses it's leaves.

That's a new one on me; do you have the Latin name please? I am only aware of one native species and the only (semi) evergreen one I have come across is Japanese Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) and I thought that was restricted to the south of the UK.

Sorry, not questioning you, I like to add new native species to my database :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tinders of choice here probably have paper birch leading the way. It can be subdivided easily into paper thin sheets. The suberin wax of the bark layers is a good quality in the rain, fires up anyway. The deal is to pick little strands from a dozen trees so your handiwork doesn't show, it will never be repaired.

My personal favorite is to break off a handful of skinny dead twigs at the core of spruce trees. Next, bash them into a fiber pile with one rock against another. The twigs have more flammable resin ducts than in the bark flakes of the main stem and large branches.

Lichens are a disappointment. Comprised of mostly chitin and carbohydrates, they are slow to light. I see that most of ours are always damp.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a new one on me; do you have the Latin name please? I am only aware of one native species and the only (semi) evergreen one I have come across is Japanese Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica) and I thought that was restricted to the south of the UK.

Sorry, not questioning you, I like to add new native species to my database :)

Not a clue. It was described as 'vine honeysuckle' and the online thing (son found it on his phone ) said it was native and European.
A lot of those sites though, they confuse native with established, don't they ?
But then, if we restricted native to just the first pioneer species that came across there wouldn't be much.

Sorry Broch, not being of much help. The blooming stuff is still growing lush and green just now though, and having cut some out of the hedge in summer, it does make rope.

The seasonal one, Lonicera periclymenum, only makes good rope if it's growing somewhere partially shaded where it can clamber up shrubby trees. Otherwise if bursts into lots of stubby branches and blooms on those.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, I suspect it is L.japonica then; I confess I stick to the pre-channel flooding definition of native because it's the only real peg in the ground. In our woodland, and in much ancient woodland I have visited, L.periclymenum grows from the ground to near the tree canopy and would have been profuse in lithic times so, probably, a good rope species.

But, as usual, we are at a tangent to the OP - sorry :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE