A little experiment............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've been put in mind these last few days of a dish I've eaten in Italy in the past, and I've just spent an hour in the kitchen trying to knock up an approximation of it..........

Pork loin casseroled in milk with potatoes alongside it; I've browned two nice loin chops and a small fillet of pork in oil, removed them and cleaned the pan, then sauteed some garlic, thyme, and sage........added about one and a half pints of warmed milk, a few bay leaves, then put the pork back into the milk along with some very nice Charlotte potatoes and am now awaiting the outcome. I'll know around seven thirty/seven forty five whether this has been worth the doing and report back :)

Anybody else have any experience of cooking savoury meals in milk?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great stuff, I've got that somewhere so I'll look it up. I really just wanted to wing this one and see what I came up with.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
They say if you boil some milk with salt and few spices then pour it over some salmon medallions and cover with foil and wait 15min, you get perfectly cooked salmon.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well now, I've just eaten and it's more than acceptable, I will definitely refine this further. I had a read of the Elizabeth David recipe and next time I do this I'll incorporate some ideas from her. I used nutmeg, bayleaves,
garlic and thyme & sage but it needs a good heavy dose of all of those to deal with that amount of milk and I think mace will suit this very well.

There's quite a bit left so tomorrow I'll reduce the sauce down a fair bit, slice the pork fillet thinly, re - season it all and have it with some pasta...............Happy days! :)

We used to often have smoked fish poached in milk and my father had his tripe and onions in milk, but this takes it a stage further; loads of potential, methinks.............

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was it arrosto di maiale al latte? I have Hugh Fairly-Unstable's book with it in and here's his take on it,

About 1.2kg boned pork loin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
10-12 garlic cloves, peeled
Strips of lemon zest from 1 lemon, thinly pared with a vegetable peeler – remove any white pith
4-6 sage leaves, shredded
1 tbsp thyme leaves, chopped
3 bay leaves
About 1 litre whole milk (cow or goat), warmed
1 small sprig rosemary

Cut the rind from the pork, leaving a thin layer of fat (use the rind to make crackling – score it, scatter it with salt, and bake at 220C/425F/gas mark 7 until puffed up, crisp and golden). Score the fat and season the meat well all over, rubbing it into the surface. Tie the meat in a couple of places with kitchen string, so it will hold its shape, and set aside.

Warm the oil in a large casserole over a low heat and poach the garlic cloves until they just begin to take on a light golden colour – be careful they don't burn, or they'll add an acrid flavour to the sauce. Scoop out the garlic with a slotted spoon and raise the heat under the pan to medium-high. Brown the pork on all sides, then set aside again. Take the pan off the heat and let the oil cool down quite a bit. Add the lemon zest, sage, thyme and bay, and sauté gently for a minute. Return the pork to the pan, turn it over in the seasoned oil, then pour over enough milk just to cover the meat. Add the rosemary and bring to a simmer.

Cook the meat at a very gentle simmer, uncovered, until cooked through and tender, turning it occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan to keep the curds that form as a result of the interaction between lemon and milk from burning. This should take about one and a quarter hours, by which time much of the liquid will have evaporated – if it hasn't, reduce the sauce while the meat is resting.

Before serving, let the pork sit for about 10 minutes before cutting into thin slices and serving with the curdy sauce spooned over the top.

Was very good and I lapped it up. Other stuff like smoked haddock cooked in milk it pretty traditional up here, and a great start to a wonderful Cullen Skink.

50g butter
50ml olive oil
About 1kg onions, peeled, halved and finely sliced
600g smoked haddock or other cold-smoked white fish
500ml whole milk
650ml fish stock
500g white potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan until the butter begins to foam. Add the onions and a pinch of salt, and cook over a low heat for 45-60 minutes, stirring regularly, until golden and buttery-soft. Don't let them catch on the pan.

Put the smoked haddock in a pan and pour over the milk. Cover the pan and bring to a gentle simmer. By the time the milk is simmering, the fish should be perfectly cooked and you should be able to remove it straight away. However, if you've got a particularly thick fillet from a monster fish, it might need to be left in the hot milk for a minute or two extra. When it's done, carefully remove the fish from its milky bath.

Strain the poaching milk, and add it to the onions, along with the fish stock and potatoes. Bring up to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender – about 15 minutes. To thicken the soup slightly, crush some of the potatoes against the side of the pan with a wooden spoon and stir them back in.

Flake the haddock from its skin, discarding any bones. Add the fish to the soup, bring back to a gentle simmer and season to taste. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve with some good bread.

Man I'm hungry now.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Fairly-Unstable's recipe above sounds like what I remember eating in Italy, and I think the little missing bit of magic which was missing from my approximation last night was the lemon zest, that would definitely have brought a contrast to all the soft tones, so to speak. I've had a little read around today and I reckon I'll give it another go in a week or so.......We did often eat the Haddock and other smoked fish in the family home and all sorts of Cullen Skinky-type soups and stews of fish in milk, especially smoked fish.

Thanks for taking the time to put this up :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Chicken poached in milk with garlic and herb is nice.

Powdered milk added to chicken stock and veg makes the best soup. I use powdered milk in quite a bit of stuff, like curries and sauces just to get that bit extra creaminess without the calories and expense of cream.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Instant noods are quite palatable made up with a spoonful of sugar and a couple of powdered milk. Add a pinch of nutmeg and it's vaguely remeniscent of macaroni milk pudding (remember them?).
t2801.gif

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman will be along with a 'Creamed ground beef' recipe soon no doubt;)

Nope. I like that type gravy (SOS) better made with water or beef stock.

I have been experimenting with a cream of chicken soup though. It turned out pretty good TBH but I don't really remember the recipe! I hope I can repeat it.

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I have had pike poached in milk --- pike are a bit tricky to fillet because their spines are different to other fish like trout, pike have 'Y' bones along their spine. but they are okay poached if you choose a 3-5lb fish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE