Black bacon experiment

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
It looks cooked enough to slice thinly, place on some Polish style Rye bread, a thin smear of a Moutarde Ancienne, topped with shaved onion...
Aaahhh....... a dream!
:)

(I have not had my breakfast yet! )
 
  • Like
Reactions: TLM
Fiona really enjoyed it. She found the black colour a bit off-putting but said the flavour is actually subtle, neither salty, over sweet or too smoky. She gas asked me to cure like that again
 
  • Like
Reactions: santaman2000
To please her, could you use light (Golden) syrup instead?

Do you think it would change the taste a lot?

I am sure you know that treacle/molasses was the cheapest sugar preparation in the past, hence so many ‘peasant’ recipes contain it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: British Red
To please her, could you use light (Golden) syrup instead?

Do you think it would change the taste a lot?

I am sure you know that treacle/molasses was the cheapest sugar preparation in the past, hence so many ‘peasant’ recipes contain it.

Its an interesting thought. I've done a batch of maple syrup cured which is nice. I'm wondering about honey cured!
 
Well, I think you are going back in history. Honey was basically the only sweetener ( sugar from the Indian sub continent was incredibly expensive) available so it must have been used to help preserve pork.

I am sure it would be delicious!
 
  • Like
Reactions: British Red
I haven't, I don't normally buy honey (we kept bees for a long time, had to stop because Fiona developed sting allergy, still have many beekeeper friends). I would like to try true native black bee honey though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: santaman2000
Many honey brands across North America have been diluted with cheap sugar syrup.
I won't buy any store honey. Instead, I've sourced a few hobby producers here in the valley.
I've come to trust that they know the fate of fakes. I like clover or fireweed wild honey.
 
  • Like
Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE