A good bushcraft/hiking hat!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
Hi there
I got myself a Barmah leather hat form Oz on a site called hatsbythehundred. I don't actually find leather any warmer than a baseball cap. I like its style, its waterproof and keeps the sun off my ears, neck & shades my eyes...

All in all a very good hat that I wear a lot.

Cheers
Gareth

My brother brought me one home from Oz as well, great hat for the rain but definitely not warm, especially round the ears, I wear a bergaus neck gaiter pulled up to compensate. I normally choose a thinsulate beanie if I'm out in the cold and pull up the jacket hood if it rains, not really a fan of baseball caps.

Just my two pence worth.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
For those worried about hot heads in hot weather

1. We don't get that sort of weather in the UK (see last summer)
2. A Tilley can be put in a stream, will take on cold water, and after the initial thermal shock is lovely and cooling to wear. :cool:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a lowe alpine mountain cap for when it's very cold and a rogue suede brimmed hat for when the sun is shining a lot.
All times in between I am mostly naked from the neck up.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Man I miss my old flat cap. Got it as a kid from a point to point stall. Real Harris tweed. Grew out of it and passed on to my sis. Not got the guts to buy another, plus they'd be really pricey at the quality of my old one.

Worn it through many a blizzard and storm force winds. Nothing could blow it off my head and it kept rain off my glasses. Cool and warm when needed. Never cool in fashion terms. You'll need kangol one for that, and wear backwards so the logo on the back/front shows.

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
How 'foldable' are the tarphats?

I'm after something that I can keep in my pack, and so need something will either retain its shape or be relatively simple to reshape.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
I use a filson waxed tincloth baseball cap, an Akubra hat, a surplus boonie hat, a kangol flat cap, and a variety of wool watch caps made by Arcteryx, Patagonia and Outdoor Research... just not all at the same time.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
How 'foldable' are the tarphats?

I'm after something that I can keep in my pack, and so need something will either retain its shape or be relatively simple to reshape.

Completey crushable. Mine was delivered flat in what can best be described as a "pizza box."

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
a thinsulate warm bob hat

That's what I have, cost about three quid from the local garage and I have about four of em.

Can't find one on a cold morning going to work outside? Don't want to spend the day at minus ten without a hat?
Just buy another.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
That's what I have, cost about three quid from the local garage and I have about four of em.

Can't find one on a cold morning going to work outside? Don't want to spend the day at minus ten without a hat?
Just buy another.

Thants why I mainly carry the bush hat for sun/rain and the bob hat for cold ( alway s both in the car or for a walk)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Thants why I mainly carry the bush hat for sun/rain and the bob hat for cold ( alway s both in the car or for a walk)

If its at work my hard hat does the keeping rain off part so a cheapo thinsulate lined bobcap just stops the wind rattling about in the hard hat.
I have to move the adjusters on the cradle so it fits over the bobcap but I wouldn't get away with wearing something with a peak under a hard hat.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
+1 for the tilley hats i have one I've also got 2 rogue leather hats i bought both at the wilderness gathering they normally have a stand there last rogue i baught was a tenner of them great hats regards dave

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
I've just bought a new Tarp Hat and I'm absolutely loving it:

808912ec-478d-435a-abc4-c9afe5b79a80_zps73a711f8.jpg

It's brilliant - already battered and comfortable looking, but clearly built like a brick outhouse. The fit was perfect too - I measured my head and got the right size easily. Mine even has a patch sewn on the brim where someone's done a repair to a little hole on the original tarp, so it's completely unique. The canvas seems to stand up to heavy rain quite well and it's great to have on when it's wet because it keeps the water out of your eyes.

I got it from http://tarphat.co.uk and I've been wearing it pretty much constantly since it arrived. I didn't get the chin strap that they sell, because a length of paracord and a little spring toggle costs virtually nothing and then you have a length of paracord handy in case you need it.

Totally recommended!

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I got the writing on my tarp as my wife is Portuguese I also have a patch mine has a coconut shell band on it so it is even more unique they rock

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE